Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Story

When Emmie was 2 years old, we were told that the chance of having a baby again was at about a 1 - 3% chance. She was a 30% chance. I was so devastated. I was told that we could be "helped along" if we wanted another baby that badly. I chose not to put myself and my family on that roller coaster. Plus, God had given me a daughter, she was healthy and beautiful. I believed he had heard my prayers. I had three wonderful step children I was raising as well, so my life was full. I needed to be thankful with my life and move on. In 2004, David brought up the idea of adopting after he had been on a mission trip to Guatemala, and spending some time in an orphanage. Emmie was on board immediately.....I wasn't so sure. Did I want to start over, could I love another child as much as Emmie and so on. It didn't take long and I knew it was what I was called to do. I read daily on my yahoo board, found The Story Of You website and counted down the months as the referrals were pouring in on a monthly basis. Only 5 1/2 months after our LID, I got the call. I saw Sophia's picture for the first time and wept with joy that God had found this little angel for our family. The day they placed Sophia in my arms I could not believe the emotions running through me. The love I felt for her was no different then my love for Emmie or my step children. I have never been through anything else in my life that has hit me as hard as adopting Sophia. I came home from China knowing that I would go back for another. That summer, we were in an euphoric state of mind in our home. Sophia had adjusted well, and I was the happiest I had been in years. Four months after we come home with Sophia.................. August 29, 2005 I took a pregnancy test to just make sure I "wasn't" pregnant because after all, it had been 10 years and there was just "no way!" I read through the instructions since it had been a decade and saw that it might take 3 - 5 minutes for your result. BAM.....the double line was there. I looked....... looked again.....re-read the results directions again just to make sure I understood them because it had to be wrong. But, I was indeed pregnant. I started bawling. I cried all day and took another test later that evening because it had to be wrong. I didn't want to be pregnant. Not now.......not after what I saw and experienced in China. Being pregnant would be selfish, I felt so guilty.........I had to go back to bring another baby home....I could feel it in my soul.......and now that dream was gone. I knew deep down in my heart what a miracle it was to be pregnant.........I was in a state of shock for 2 days and didn't tell David. He said he already knew......he knew before the test. He said I was glowing and he had only seen that look on me one other time in his life. It was in January of 1994. After getting over the shock of it all, I began to accept the gift I had been given. God was blessing me with another child of my own. I was still in awe........I scheduled all my doctor appointments and things were going pretty good other than this time I felt sick and tired. In November, I got the dreaded call every pregnant mother fears. One of my tests came back with results that indicated my baby, my son, might have Down Syndrome. I was devastated. They hauled us in for further testing and said the only way to be sure was to have an Amniocentesis Test. There was a small risk of miscarriage and what were we suppose to do if the test came back that he did have DS? Terminate the pregnancy? Absolutely not. That is not our belief.....and I knew that whatever God was planning, I had to except it and have faith. We declined the test and we told no one except my Mother and two very close girlfriends who I knew would pray for me and that I could lean on. I placed several 911 calls to God, pleading to let the test be wrong.......and not for me....for my children. I pleaded with God, literally on my hands and knees.......pleading for a healthy sibling for Emmie. She had prayed for a brother or sister so much of her little childhood life.....please Lord......look how much she has embraced Sophia.....she loves her with all her heart....please don't test her with this....please. And Lord.....you blessed us with Sophia..........she is a gift from you.....please dear God, don't let her have to deal with this on top of all the other emotions and questions she will have of her own someday...........please Lord...........I am begging you for the sake of my children. I know that whatever Daniel's condition is within my womb, you can change it, you can heal him, please Lord, hear my cry. I am putting my faith in you. The morning my c-section was scheduled I trembled like no other time in my life as I was being numbed for the procedure. As soon as I heard him cry, I remember frantically saying "let me see him, let me see him" because I thought if he did indeed have DS I would be able to tell by looking at him. I asked the nurses, I asked the doctor, I ask another doctor.......my baby boy, was perfect....he was healthy, he was fine. I believed God heard my prayers.....and after all my children left that evening and each taking a turn holding their new little brother, I cried again. Only this time they were tears of joy and thankfulness to God.....for I will never know if indeed God performed a miracle within me, but I look forward to the day when I can kneel at his feet and thank him for all he has given me.

47 comments:

Verna said...

So, are ya trying to make us cry!?!
What a great testimony to God's great plan for all of us. If you had gotten pregnant earlier, you would not have Sophia. He knows all things and His timing is perfect. God bless you all and Happy BD Deedal!

kitchu said...

Oh my gosh...my face is all blotchy and wet with tears. Beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing such an incredible story. And happy birthday to Daniel!

ps. love the orange and blue theme you got going on... very nice.

Mr.Brian said...

Steffie, What an amazing testimony of what God can do. There is nothing I love more to hear how God has worked in a persons life.Thank you so much for sharing a very personal time in your life.
I say and will always say God gives us these trials to strengthen our faith in him.
I have seen it in myself so many time and each time I come out a strongr person.
PRAISE THE LORD!!!!
And Happy Birthday to your little man.

C's Mom said...

What a wonderful story! Happy Birthday week to the little man.

For those who would never consider 'managing' the outcome of their pregnancy (ie considering termination), I NEVER recommend doing any of that testing because it so often causes the needless worry you experienced. I'm sorry you endured all that stress and that turned out wonderful. Your children are certainly a gift.

Anonymous said...

All the time you were worrying about Downs, I was worrying about Polycystic Kidney Disease, just like I did when you were carrying Emmie. In my situation I always prayed " Thy will be done" and I was so sure His will would be the same as my will. It ddin't turn out that way for me and you didn't get the little brother or sister you wanted. I hurt as much for you as for myself. But look how happy you were when Corrie came to us. And now look how great it is to have Ingrid in your life. As soon as you and David decided to adopt, your dad and I were thrilled. Good job Stef...with all 6 of them!! And happy birthday to little Deedal.
Love, Mom

Jewels of My Heart said...

Happy birthday Daniel...
Thank You Jesus for this beautiful, wonderful, healthy family.

redmaryjanes said...

Happy Birthday sweet boy! It's amazing isn't it, the strength that God gives to us mothers and the ways that he blesses us. What a special day for both of you.

Ashley said...

What an awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing. I like the new color scheme. :)

Anonymous said...

Stef, that story is amazing...I'm drying up tears over here! You are one strong woman! God does do amazing things and he for sure worked his power in you. Happy Birthday to "Deedal" and hi to the family from Tyler and I!!

-Amy
(Tyler's girlfriend)

Anonymous said...

Stef, oh my goodness...you have me in tears. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story with us. You are an amazing woman with an amazing family and I cannot wait to see your next child join it.

Happy Birthday to your little man!!!!

Polar Bear said...

What an amazing story of faith and love. Thank you for sharing it!

Happy Birthday Week Daniel!

Dannye said...

what an amazing journey, and such a heart touching story!! (as I wipe my eyes!!)...happy birthday deedel!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Has it been a year already?? I remember when you announced your pregnancy on our Sweet Pea site. I think we were in almost as much shock as you!

Thank you for sharing your story. It is wonderful to see what prayer accomplishes in our hearts.

Teresa

LaLa said...

Happy Birthday Sweetie!! What a wonderful family you have been blessed with and it is obvious you are a blessing to them as well.

Praise and Coffee said...

What a beautiful story! Thanks so much for sharing it!! Looking forward to meeting that little man!
Happy Birthday Daniel!

Mammarazzi Madness said...

Steffie,

What a wonderful story !! I hope your little miracle has a terrific birthday.
Your blog is great!:)
Andrea

Gwen Oatsvall said...

ok nothing like starting the morning off in tears.. what a great testimony !!! And God will be blessing you again with another child ... look how BIG he is .. would love to hear of other ways you showed emmie service as a child. we are looking for more ways to show our children God in action !!!! lol... happy b-day Daniel ...

shelley said...

great story thanks for reminding us to be grateful.

shelley

shelley said...

great story thanks for reminding us to be grateful.

shelley

Kim said...

What an awesome and heartfelt story! Thanks for sharing it!

Beckyb said...

Just what I needed today - another reminder of OUR BIG GOD!!! He does deserve all of our praise!! What a wonderful story to share over and over with all of your kids - I always tell my guys that it's like the stones in the Old Testment that they placed in places just to "remember" what God had done for them - it is awesome!!! AND Happy Birthday little Daniel!! We praise God for you!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY, DANIEL!!

Thanks for sharing your story, Stef!

Tracy said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. I'm in tears ...

Michelle said...

A big Happy birthday to your sweet boy!! Your post was beautiful ...

Jack's Mom said...

Happy Birthday Daniel! Isn't it amazing how God works? You are blessed.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story. Makin me all weepy. Happy Birthday big guy!!

Mommy Spice said...

I am speechless. Thank you for sharing this precious story. How truly blessed you are!! Hug that little miracle for me and tell him Happy Birthday!!

Briana's Mom said...

Happy Birthday to Daniel! Your story is so wonderful and amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Emmie said...

He is indeed a wonderful blessing. God must have a big plan for little D...some reason or meaning for this miracle.

Nikki said...

Your family and how it came to be is indeed a BEAUTIFUL story!
Our God is definitely still in the miracle business!!!!

Deb said...

UGH... I thought I could get through your post without crying but I couldn't....if this miracle can happen to you then I have hope. I would love to get pregnant and also go to China a second time. I guess I'll see what God has in store for us.
Happy Birthday little man!
Blessings on you all.

Anonymous said...

Time Does Fly!!! Happy Birthday Little Guy!

Tamara said...

Thank you for sharing such a deeply personal story. Your family is truely blessed (and so darn cute! Love the Maui pics!)

Jewels of My Heart said...

Hi Stefanie, I posted an answer to your question on my blog.... I am so glad we found eachother too. Now all we need is to get your baby girl home and all of us get together somehow.... wouldn't that be swell.
God's Speed
Daleea

Heather said...

What a wonderful and warming story. Happy birthday, David!

Shirley said...

That is just amazing. Good Luck to you and your family. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!

Norma said...

What a great story of God's goodness! Happy Birthday, Daniel!

t~ said...

What a beautiful story of faith and love, thanks for sharing it.

Happy Birthday to your little guy!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Loved reading your journey. Life is so beautifully complex.

Pam said...

Awesome testimony. God is so great.

Happy birthday Daniel, you cutie pie.

PandaMom said...

Wow. God does work in such mysterious ways and has such a great sense of humor about Him!! What a blessed family you have. Awesome story!

Jill and Jaap said...

Happy Birthday Daniel!
You have a beautiful family!

4D said...

I am in awe. Thank you for sharing your story and its honesty.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, beautiful story.

And tell Daniel "Happy Birthday" for me, too!

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! The tears were pouring as I was reading this. What a little miracle you have!

insanemommy said...

You are truly blessed my sweet friend. (I can call you friend--right?).

Rony

crazylady said...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Life throws curves. Some you catch, and some we are meant to dodge. You have an inspiring story. Your family is exactly the way it is meant to be.