Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My little guy......

First off, I want to thank all of you for your gracious comments on my previous post. I want you to know that I think all of your families and the families that are yet to come together and be united are beautiful and a wonderful story as well.

When I found out that I was going to have a boy, I knew it was going to be trouble! lol Daniel has been my high maintenance child since day one. First off, he was a spitter. He would puke up so much of his bottle I would hold him over the sink. This started the first week I was home with him. Scared me to death. He hated sleeping on his back or being swaddled. At 13 days old I put him on his stomach. Life got a little better. At 7 weeks I started adding cereal to his bottle to try and keep him from puking so much. It helped, so at 8 months cereal went into EVERY bottle. Whew....got that one under control.
The child poops his pants like something I'd envision you'd see in a parent's worse nightmare kind of movie. I had one day, where I literally stood at his changing table for 10 minutes and went through 6 diapers. I would no sooner wipe, get the next diaper on and he would poop again. I stood there in total shock......it was like a play dough pump! He's better, but I still call him my pooping maniac!
It is going to take FOREVER to transition to table food. If you put anything unfamiliar in his mouth, we go through this whole gagging ordeal. He is definitely, "The Boss!"
I think that he and Emmie look quite a bit alike. They both have beautiful blue eyes and those lips.......big lips! lol Emmie had brown hair like Daniel until her first summer outside. From then on it was blonde. I'm curious to see if Daniel's will do the same.
The boy can make me break out into a sweat just trying to dress him. He is every where on the changing table. He kicks his legs up, tries to bite his toes, roll over...you name it. I tried all sorts of diversions........he just doesn't care. He puts EVERYTHING into his mouth which makes my constant checking the floor drive me crazy! I've decided all these things must be because he is a boy! Neither of the girls ever did these kind of things! lol When he gets upset, all I have to do is sing You Are My Sunshine and he calms right down. I must have sung that song quite a bit in my sleep deprived state last summer. Daniel also lets me know when meal time is over....he clamps his mouth shut and it is very obvious he wants nothing more.
Books......OMW he LOVES books. In fact, I love them too because they are currently giving me an extra 30 minutes or so after he wakes up from his nap. I have 3-4 books at the end of his bed. He looks at them over and over, talks, giggles and is happy as a clam. So am I! ;) He has been on my hip from day one. A total and complete little Mommy's boy. He gives me the biggest smiles I have ever seen. He's been grabbing my face with one hand for months and turns it towards him if I am not looking at him and he wants my attention. He gives me open mouth kisses and has been squeezing me with his entire body for months to give me a great big hug. He doesn't like to go to anyone but me. The only exception is my sister Ingrid. He'll go to Emmie, but I have to walk away and he just started to go to Daddy during our trip to Maui. Daniel also became very attached to Sophia on our trip as well. He loves her the most after me I think. He's very sensitive. He snuggles me, sucks his thumb and pointer, and lays his little head down on my shoulder whenever he can. He loves to be outside...thank goodness. Last summer he hated the stroller and the car. I felt like I was on lock down. He finally started to like stroller rides at 4 1/2 months. The one thing he has done for me.....he's a great sleeper. He takes great naps now that we are down to one and he sleep's through the night great. I believe that God gave him to us because of this long wait to adopt again. Even though at one point I didn't know if we'd go back, God did. Daniel is Sophia's little pal and they are playing together more and more everyday. He's my miracle child, my stress, my smiles, my exhaustion and I love him to pieces. Thank goodness we made it through this first year! lol Big sigh..........
And I stand corrected once again during my life long journey. I thought my dream of going back to China again was gone.......I prayed that David would still be open to the idea even though our lives seemed so full. I'm married to a man that has a very big heart......and so the journey continues.....

21 comments:

C's Mom said...

What a wonderfully blessed life!

Thanks for sharing. Hmmm...play dough pump. Now THAT is a visual ;0)

Deb said...

Sounds like Daniel is just breaking you in for your new addition! LOL. Cute little pooper!
I'm loving your stories about him.

Anonymous said...

Just remember that he is working on becoming two now...hahaha

Colleen said...

I love reading your story. Thank you for sharing. :-) I can't wait to see your family grow again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. You and your family are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Step...little boys truly are poo machines, just gettin prepared for when he's a big boy!! :)

Praise and Coffee said...

I love your story! What a great family!

Michelle said...

Daniel is an absolute treasure ... how blessed you are.

Mr.Brian said...

Hey Steffie wait til he stars to stand up to go weewee,you will be mopping the floor non stop.LOLOL
I love how I can read a blog and go from laughter to tears to just a warm feeling. God hsas truely blessed you.

redmaryjanes said...

Little boys sure do love their Moms! I'm so glad you have your little man. I love your family story.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

you gotta love a mama's boy ... Jeremiah(9) and Elijah (5) just love their mama's ... It is great having a little man tell you that you are pretty all the time !!! Daniel is adorable and will always rock your world !!! lol Daniel and can't wait to meet ya ...

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Happy bithday to Daniel (I love the name Daniel BTW).
Just read your story in the post below...wow god certainly moves in mysterious ways and thank goodness he heard you prayers and gave you a wonderful healthy son.

Nikki said...

I love all of your poop descriptions! (boys scare me)

Anyway, Daniel is dreamy and you are one heck of a momma! And, you do have an awesome hubby... a little kooky at times, but incredibly large-hearted. I am still amazed that it was his idea to adopt originally! Very cool.

Tamara said...

What a wonderful baby! He has such a winsome smile, no wonder his sisters are so crazy about him. BTW- your blog looks fantastic!

PandaMom said...

I am soooo laughing out loud at the playdough poop pump!!!

Shandra said...

Our storied are so close. When L came we were told she would be it. I of course did not believe them and lived with a great deal of heart ache for the next 3 years. March 2005 we sent our application in for Baby L. Mid March I found out I was PG. I did not know at the time if Wil would be willing to still go to China for our daughter but in my heart I knew we had to and he was on board. We were DTC when A was 7 months old.

Beckyb said...

Yep - boys are SO special - especially with their moms - what a blessing!!!

Pam said...

I love your stories. I can't image the pooping. I will soon be experiencing having alittle boy. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into.

LedaP said...

my son (who just traveled to China with me) was just like that, except he had severe colic and reflux, he screamed all day - all night. He didn't sleep in the crib for the first 4 months, he slept on me - had to be touching me. I wished most of his first year of life away because it was such a trying time...and my DH was deployed during most of it. For his first birthday, instead of a bday party for him we had a BBQ/keg party with all our friends to celebrate that we had survived. Seriously. Our friends couldn't believe it. :) That's what ended our childbearing career, but I never lost that longing for a little girl.

Jewels of My Heart said...

What a beautiful post... Straight from a Mama's heart. Daniel is too cute and your family is so very sweet.

Anonymous said...

What a joy that little guy is to all of you!!! Wish I could hug him, too!!!