Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Who is Andrew/Ruigang ?

P4116402
I know that many of you want to know how I feel Andrew is really doing. What I feel his journey has been, what his reaction has been and how he is doing emotionally. Andrew is a thinker. He watches people and he listens to their conversations. I see him intently listening to other Chinese people and when he thinks it is funny he smiles and laughs a bit. He then moves on to something or someone else to watch. He watches everyone in the room. I believe he understands me more than I realize. He is already responding to certain requests and gestures that I make to him. I believe that Andrew had to take care of himself on a daily basis much more than Daniel for example. He is routined from the moment he wakes up. He completely dresses himself and I have already told you how he folds his clothes precisely. His eating habits are amazing. I've discussed that as well. We are communicating by head shakes and a few words that I have picked up in Chinese to get us through meal time. However, anytime we have snacks, I can see that he is very protective over what I give him. And he doesn't want a partial snack, he wants the whole thing and when he doesn't get the food he wants he becomes upset. I struggle with the bedtime routine with him. I can tell that I am not doing something right. He becomes a bit stressed at this time of day. When something doesn't go his way, he sulks. He paces and has the most pathetic little frown on his face that I have ever seen. Because of the language barrier, he struggles with how to tell me what he needs. So instead of attempting he doesn't say anything at all and then usually the tears come for a bit. Last night as he struggled to fall asleep, I sang to him and that did the trick. So....I am figuring things out slowly but surely. ;) P4116393
I am glad to see that when we are out and about he stays close to us. He has bonded with us and won't talk to or go to strangers. This is such a good sign. When we looked at pictures the other day he pointed to me and said Mama and then pointed to David and said Baba and then pointed to Emmie and it sounded like he tried to say her name. When we walk down the street and he is in the stroller, he wants me to walk beside him and hold his hand. I believe he hears me when I tell him that I love him in Chinese. He has a sweet, quiet side and yet when we are in the room he is already wrestling with Daddy. And he's sneaky! lol He finds things and hides them. He wraps things up in his blankets or paper. Like they are the most beautiful treasures ever. I think he and Daniel are going to have a great time tormenting Sophia. Both Sophia and Daniel get very excited when they see him with us via te Skype. I truly believe once we are home that Andrew will blossom. I think we will see a very loving, smart little boy. Full of all things boy, just like his brother. P4106380
There is no doubt that Andrew will light up any room. His smile and the spark in his eyes are still there. I'm so thankful for that. I don't know if that has to do with being in foster care, the orphanage or just his personality. But even when he is in deep concentration the spark is there....it's not that blank traumatized look. I can't tell you how thankful I am for that. While I know that there will be issues along the way with him, I believe that Andrew will over come this part of his life and that we will nuture him and give him all the love he needs. This morning at breakfast he wanted this sprinkle donut that I brought over to him. He was full of excitement. I asked for a kiss in Chinese and I got my first real smacker......and yes...I cried! ;)
Love and miss you all.....can't wait to get home to see you.

27 comments:

Emily said...

I truly cannot get over how gorgeous that boy is! What a doll! You may have shared this already--or maybe you aren't comfortable--but does he have any health issues? He seems to be doing wonderfully, so if there are any, I pray that they are minor.

Dannye said...

he really sounds like a great little boy, and really bonding well to you all....definitely a perfect match with your family!!

Adele said...

I have been following your journey from the start but I have been so terrible with posting comments. I just had to let you know I have been praying for you and your family every single day. Your son is the most handsome little man ever! I know you are just loving being his Mommy. Enjoy the rest of your trip and tell them to speed up with my referral. LOL!
Love you dearly,
Adele

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

You sound great Steffie. I can't imagine what the last few days have been like. But, it definitely sounds like you love this little boy BIG TIME.

Thank you, for sharing your story.

Lea
xo

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a special little boy. I continue to run to the computer each morning to see the next installment. He's just so lovely, Steffie. I'm so very very happy for you. I can't wait to see what kind of mischief he will get into with Daniel and Sophia.

Truly Blessed said...

It's amazing to me that "older" children can overcome so quickly when put into situations that require it. Andrew is, indeed, a special little boy.

Have you tried having your guide talk to Andrew about his bedtime routine likes/dislikes? It may help you to hear, from him, what seems to be missing. Just a thought.

I think we need to see some Andrew/Sophia/Daniel Skype pictures...

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh he just sounds wonderful and how blessed we will all feel when we watch his personality unfold after you get home.

I know with Emma Jane, she was 2 years old when she came home, and I remember wishing someone had told me the little things like how she went to bed etc.

Andrew will come home and learn soooo much English from your little ones that he will be speaking in no time. Huge hugs and all of our prayers are working!

Kim said...

Steffie~ he is sooooo CUTE.. and sounds like he is going to fit in well with Thing 1 and Thing 2 .. I am excited to see their faces.. make sure to capture that when you get home..
I am sure it will be priceless..
I am soo glad to have met you and followed you on this journey..
Hugs..
Love the photos..

Ivy Shaffer said...

HI Steffe,
Simply amazing to see these photos of you in China! Where have I been LOL?

Your beautiful son is soooooo sweet, I just want to kiss those cheeks:)) He looks so happy and I"m sure has a lot of adjusting to do, but with that loving family you have, no doubt he will transition well.

It's wonderful to see another child get a forever family! You are so blessed and seem so in love with this gorgeous child!

I love the photos. Have a wonderful and safe trip home!

Hugs,

Ivy

Briana's Mom said...

An amazing little boy with now an amazing family! Wonderful!

redmaryjanes said...

He is so amazing Steffie. I cannot wait to meet him. We'll be at the airport and his new buddy Eli is already excited to have a new friend.

Gail said...

Hi Steffie. Just checking in as we've been on vacation. Andrew sounds like he's doing very well from your posts. May I add that Will was very similar in China by staying close to us and not wanting to be around Chinese people, I honestly think the not wanting to be around Chinese people is the transition. Will would actually get mad if they would try to speak to him.

I also want to say it takes quite a while for his real personality to emerge, you are seeing a lot of it though. More will come out at home and as his English improves. I love that he kissed you for the first time...I so remember that day with Will.

You all doing AWESOME and I love seeing you becoming a family!

hugs, Gail

Dita said...

I don't know how you find the time to update us all so beautifully everyday. I feel like I've traveled to China with you from my computer (minus the jet lag!)

It sounds like Andrew is right on track. I am sure that once he is home with the kids that he will just blossom. I, too, miss seeing photos of Daniel and Sophia. I can only imagine how all of you must feel. I think you are counting the days to come home, though.....and soon enough you will all be together!

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, i read it everyday but seldom make any comments. I am so happy for your family, and have been enjoying this journey, thanks for sharing with us. My question is do any of your traveling people have a blog? i would love to see how their journey is going as well.
Thanks
chris in Ia.

Unknown said...

Chris-if you look on the upper left side of her blog, you will see Beijing Travel Mates.

Steffie, in my humblist, non-professional, just-a-mom opinion, I think Andrew is faring quite well for a 3 1/2 year old whose life has made a complete left turn! And you know him so much better than we do! I am with you. I think when he gets home and is playing with the other Things, he's going to absolutely thrive! I think he's exhibiting normal survival behavior by the amount of food he's eating and hiding things. He'll be fine. You are so blessed with him! He's a great little guy! I'm almost as excited as you to see him with Daniel and Sophia!

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, Steffie,
I am away in CA visiting my family. I just got access to a computer for a min. and checked in on you only to find Andrew in his Mama's arms.
Thank YOu Jesus!
How truly beatiful this is. He is so precious and handsome.
I am so happy for him and his family.
I won't be home until late on the 23rd but I wanted to tell you that Nicholas was 4 and a half when he came home and he had a tough time in some areas. If I can ever help with anything please let me know.
God's speed home.
Love,
Daleea

Lisa said...

What a little sweetheart he is! He is so handsome, wow!!! I'm so happy that the bonding is going so well. I just know he is going to thrive on all of the love you guys are giving him. He is one lucky little boy! So very happy for all of you! Lisa

hollym. said...

Hi Steffie!
Glad to here things are going well! Missing you in the U.S.! :)

Andrew may be needing a CD playing at sleepytime.

You are a wonderful Momma and it's just the best to see your boy with his family and doing so well. Still praying for safety and good health for all. Emmie looks so cute in the pics. Can't believe how grown up she looks.
Love, hollym.

Missy said...

What a precious gift from God! He certainly can light up a computer screen, so I can only imagine what he is like in person. You guys were hand picked to be his family and I am in awe, once more, how God puts us all together. Thinking of you all :)
Hugs!

Cindy said...

What a blessing this journey has been I think we would all can't wait until all three of your children are together and what kind of mischief they will all get into. What a blessed family you all are. Andrew is certainly a beautiful little boy, Malia even called him a cutie the other day.

Mr.Brian said...

He is so darn cute,almost makes me look bad.LOLOLOL
So heart warming to read how he is adjusting to his family.I hope all keeps going well for you.
Sending hugs and a smile,
Mr.Brian

t~ said...

Andrew is so beautiful & I am sure he will blossom into the person he is once he is home. Thinking of you....

JG said...

Thank you for posting your story. I only recently started following your story. I actually found your blog on the day you arrived in China. That's another story...

I was born with a major VSD. I had open heart surgery when I was younger than Andrew and still have a residual VSD (nothing major and in fact quite common from what I've read). My experience will probably be different from his in that girls grow up with different body-image issues than boys, but I have come to realize now in my 20s that God gave me this VSD and the resulting scars as a daily reminder of His love and provision. Every heartbeat is a miracle. I am praying for you and your family and for Andrew, that as he grows he realizes that his unique heartbeat is a gift from God to remind him that God is always in control.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am just now catching up on your blog....it looks like things are going well in China!! The pictures are fantastic....it is so fun to see China through your eyes!!

Andrew is such a precious little boy...there is no gift greater than this.....enjoy every minute!!

Lisa

Deb said...

I do pray things will get easier faster for him. He is such a darling little man. Melts your heart.
Your pictures really capture him.
Breathtaking.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

oh that face fits perfectly into the beckering tribe !!! keep on loving him, singing to him, and holding his hand ... love you all and still praying here ...

Michelle R Photography said...

Who is Andrew/Ruigang? Pretty darn cute!!

He sounds like such a bright little guy, and adorable to boot!!