Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chopstick Boy

P4070285
We are amazed at Andrew's ability to eat with chopsticks. He prefers to eat with them over a spoon. He hardly drops anything from them and when they start to split a little, he turns them over and taps them on the table to get them even again. He seems to be quite the perfectionist. Doesn't like anything on his lips or hands. And he will fold his little blanket or a napkin I gave him in perfect squares. He is very patient with the process and will do it until he has it to his liking. P4070286
He has been eating mostly noodles, rice, fruit and bread. Drinking water, apple and orange juice. He eats until I take the food away. Typical behavior as we all know. There has only been one time that he put his chopsticks across the bowl to let me know he was done. And they were placed together precisely. P4070317
The more we play, the more the smiles come. After breakfast we brought cars and balls right out into the hallway and played for quite some time. Andrew loved it. We have heard him say several things now in Chinese and he has even tried to say one or two things for us from a picture book as we pointed to it. He is a sensitive little boy. That much we can tell. He and Emmie played quite a bit today, watched some Baby Einstein DVD's and then they fell asleep together in her bed for a late afternoon nap. It has been warm here. And the hotel is not air conditioned very well. David and Emmie have had the upset stomach already. I seem to be holding my own. Drinking lots of water and loving my boy as much as I can. We get several looks from people due to the fact that we are carrying around a boy that "appears" to have no physical needs. They talk and say things and we just hold onto him tight. I have no doubt that once we return home and Andrew is with Sophia and Daniel, that he will blossom into the beautiful, smart little boy we believe we are slowly seeing day by day. Thank you to everyone that has emailed us so far. I am trying my best to respond when I can. I finally got some rest this afternoon and I hope we can begin to transition a little better to the time change. Sending love and hugs to my babies back home. We miss you Fia and Daniel.

40 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Just look at that beautiful smile.......

Kim said...

Andrew's smile is BEAUTIFUL..
Love it..
Looks like things are going well..
Hope noone gets sick..
"BIG HUGS"..

Musings from Kim K. said...

Andrew continues to captivate our entire family. I pray that your family continues to bond well and that Emmie and David get over their stomach bugs soon.

Continued blessings and prayers coming from West Michigan.

Gail said...

I'm praying that you stay healthy. He is sooo handsome and that smile...well what can I say?He's just precious! The smiles will come more and more. You are ALL doing great. And everyday gets easier.

with hugs from Florida(we are on vacation),
Gail

Kristi said...

Absolutely adorable....what a precious smile that matches Sophia's! Striking how much they favor each other. Precious Andrew for a precious Beckering family! We are praying, praying, and praying! Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.

Linette said...

Oh...look at his beautiful smile! What a great way to start my day seeing his sweet little face. Praying for all of you. :)

mommy24treasures said...

he is just the most beautiful child! Adorable.
Love
C

The Princess's Mommy said...

OH that sweet smile makes my heart sing! He is just beautiful! I know you are over the moon!!

Blessings,
Monica

Dita said...

Andrew is just beautiful...that SMILE! It's amazing about the chopsticks.

Your pictures are fantastic!

Hugs from home........

Tammy said...

I love how you're seeing more of his personality...and smiles. :)

LaLa said...

What a sweet smile..you are one blessed Mommy!!!

Hope you remain well and David and Emmie feel better : )

3 Peanuts said...

Steffie...He is JUST SO DARNED CUTE!

I never say this but looking at you two...makes me want to adopt again! Truly...he is just perfect. I hope the attaching is gong well. I am praying for you.

Lots of love,
Kim

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am loving watching your journey unfold. And Andrew has a handsome smile.

Mike and Barb said...

What a handsome little boy you have :-))
Our daughter amazed us too with her chopstick-eating abilities, and while she is a bit rusty, she can still do it, even 1 1/2 year later.
Barb

Dawn said...

Oh Steffie he is jus soooo handsome...I love seeing him eat with chopsticks...Lucy did a little but not as easily as Andrew. I love the picture of him sleeping...Lucy sucks the same finger...so precious.

Laura said...

He's just adorable! Are those dimples I see? I'm so happy for you! Thinking of you all....

Shana said...

Just look at his gorgeous smile! Steffie, he is such a dream! Your family is so blessed! :)

Sooo happy for you! Congrats again!!!

Hugs, Shana :)

Becky said...

I love his smile! He is so adorable!

Mommy Spice said...

He's just perfect!!! I am loving all the family pictures!

Kate said...

Steffie,

Your boy is darling! What a wonderful blessing this Easter week for your family. Praying for you all and excited to see Andrew continue to blossom...

Kate

Gwen Oatsvall said...

oh he looks so happy ... you know i am covering you in prayers and can't wait for you to get home .. ignore all the stares and keep him close !!! love you all

redmaryjanes said...

I love seeing the smiles! I think he is doing very well with his transition. I hope you all can get rested up and into the swing of things in China time. I just can't believe you are really there!

Wendy said...

Well he looks so happy today... It's amazing how children respond to lots and lots of love.

Enjoy your day
Wendy

Middle-Aged Moi said...

He is sooooo adorable! WAAAAY beyond cute!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Glad to see another update from you guys....the transition seems to be going very well!! Andrew is just the cutest little thing......you are blessed beyond belief!!

Hope that you all get some rest,

Lisa

Kayce said...

That smile just melted me! Glad things are well.

Michelle R Photography said...

Andrew is a pro with those chopsticks. And that smile... oh, what a beautiful smile!!

Gail said...

Oh Steffie,
We got many stares and even comments about William and how did we get a boy? Keep him close, I'm thinking and praying for your family. Andrew continues to blossom and the little boy you see now is not the one you'll see when you return home....he's doing great!!!!

a little leprechaun said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome! What a sweetie!

I followed over from Living My Dream...

Mom 2 six said...

thinking of you... I feel your emotion. It is so much easier once you are home. He is precious !

t~ said...

He is perfectly perfect. I love his smile and I know you will see more of that very soon! Hold tight.

Julie said...

My what a handsome son you have !!! He's truly adorable and seems to fit right in!!

Enjoy!!!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Congratulations!! I didn't realize you had your handsome little guy already. We were quite amazed at how well Mia Hope could use her chopsticks. These children are amazing!

Blessings on your wonderful journey!
Robin

Holly said...

Dear Steffie,
We don't know each other. In fact, I found your blog on Gwen's blog-the Oatsvall Team...and I don't really know Gwen either! I see we also share a love for a very special lady named Kimberley who is waiting for her little red mary janes to be pitter pattering around very soon! What a small world and a GREAT BIG GOD! I am constantly amazed at the connections the Lord makes. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I am praying for you and your time in China right now. It is nearly 11:30 am in China right now...12 hours later than where I am. I was in China in August 2007 meeting our son for the first time. I had a lot of tummy issues while I was there, so I will be praying for you, hubby and daughter too, that the Lord will sustain you and protect you from illnesses. My husband and I also believed when we were in China adopting our son that we would be back again one day for a daughter. The Lord will show us the way. You have a beautiful family and a beautiful heart. I will also stop and pray right now for your newest son, that the Lord will graft his heart into yours and yours into his...that he will somehow grasp the depth of your love despite the current language barrier. The Lord has answered your prayers. Even now, He is going before you, making your paths straight.
Blessings,
Holly M. in North Carolina

Kim N Jeff said...

Steffie

So happy for all of you! I am praying for a safe journey while you are away and for your little ones at home... He seems to be coming out of his shell... What great pictures!

hollym. said...

Onl one day and your little "SWEET CHEEKS" Andrew is smiling the sweetest smile. Praying the next two weeks moves along so that you can be home with your Sophia and Daniel,too! Praying for safety and health for all.
Love, hollym.

shelley said...

Your boy is precious. I love the skill with the chopsticks. We will leave in the am....it has been a really LONG 2.5 wks. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers...wishing you more happiness and health.

mommy24treasures said...

I am so so glad you were able to talk to your sweet little Things!
Love
Connie

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

U sound amazing. I hope day by day you all get adjusted.

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers.

Lea
xo

day by day said...

Hi Steffie!

Just catching up here. Congratulations!!! Andrew is such a precious little guy! We are so happy for your family!!!