Friday, May 30, 2008

A Princess And Her Pagoda

I need to start this post off by saying that this was the hair brained idea that I had. To turn the top of our existing swing set into the looks of a Pagoda. I found a picture in a magazine and showed it to David. Well.....he is a builder after all and what Princess Fia wants....Princess Fia usually gets with Daddy. ;) Originally we built this swing set for Emmie when she about four. Last summer we put the fence around it for safety and the entire inside was just grass. Nothing else. The top had the blue, green and yellow striped tarp on it making it look like a triangle. Below is what we came up with for our finished project. Needless to say.....Miss Sophia is thrilled and so is Daniel. They both just love it. P5252449
A Princess and Her Pagoda. P5252450
The top piece was added on and it took both our older boys to hoist it up there on ladders while David was inside the Pagoda to catch it as it came down to be mounted in place. The plaques were something that I found that I felt complimented the entire look along with the lanterns. P5252473
I had these flower bins made up at my favorite green house. I wanted specialty grasses and vines. It feels very Zen like to me. I was thrilled with how all 10 boxes turned out. There are 6 in the front, some of which you see here and then there are 4 in the back on the fence over the sand box. They really are gorgeous. P5252467
Sophia spends quite a bit of time in the sand box. It was very evident in Maui that she loved playing in the sand. So....we decided to make it quite large. The upper deck that you see to the left is where I will be putting their pool as the weather gets warmer. To the right, there is room for chairs. Then there is a step down which leads to the locked gate. P5252464
This is the back side of the play yard. This is the darling view I get to see as I do my morning and evening walk/run around our tennis court. It makes me feel all peaceful, dreamy and hopeful for our families future when I look at it. P5262475
Here you can see how we put wood chips down and then David built a little race track for the bikes and scooters. This is what Daniel loves. He just hauls around this on his Pooh car. And the neat thing about this is when they ride something over the wood, it sounds like a train. It also runs under the big rock climbing wall which gives them the feel of a small tunnel. P5262474
The chairs are on the upper level. Then you step down to the bike area. The patch with the green outdoor carpet is where we park all the ride on toys when they are not in use. And with two children and Momm'y s bad shopping habits....there tends to be quite a few.
P5252453
The Princess evens allows The Prince to enter her Pagoda. P5272483
Finally......a beautiful sunset view as I am walking in the evening. Thank you Daddy for making a special play area for our children. We love it and you.
Love,
Mommy, Sophia and Daniel

66 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Oh my goodness. That play area is stunning!! David should be so proud of how everything turned out. I'd never want to leave outside if I were your kids. Let's hope the weather clears this weekend so that they can be outside again.

Hugs
Kim K.

C's Mom said...

That is an INCREDIBLE play yard!

Kim said...

OMW!!!!!!
That is simply AMAZING... it is soooo beautiful..
Sophia & Daniel are two very lucky little ones...
Great job on your part Mommy for the design.. and Great job to Daddy for making Mommy's plan come into play..
Hugs girly..
I would like to come over and play with Sophia and Daniel one day...
Have a Great Weekend...

Linette said...

Oh Wow! I love it!! That is the coolest play area I have ever seen. And when is David going to start taking special orders? ha.ha.
Have a great weekend. :)

redmaryjanes said...

When you told me about your thoughts for the pagoda, I never dreamed it would be so beautiful. I just think it is gorgeous. And I love the large play area for the kids. They need that.
I am REALLY looking forward to lunch today.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, My Gosh! Where do I begin?!!!!
First, your idea was wonderful and so very sweet! The outcome.... phenominal! That is the coolest play area ever. I love that their Daddy built it for them..... When they are telling their Grandchildren one day about the incredable play area that they loved as a child.... I believe that their most special part will be that their Mama wanted this beautiful Pagoda for her Asian Princess and that their Daddy built them a kingdom....

Gail said...

Wowie!!! Amazing...your 2 little ones will be out there playing all the time. Love the pagoda, the flowers and everything about it...you are a talented designer and a very thoughtful mom too. :)
Have a great weekend BTW!

Unknown said...

Wow that is the playyard to beat all playyards. Way to cool and the view & sunset is breathtaking.
Have a good weekend.

Sophie's Mom said...

Wow! Even if we had the money to build such a thing, I couldn't be that creative! Lucky kiddos!

lora said...

Absolutely Darling! I can't wait to see your next little Chinese beauty play in there also...

I am so jealous :)

lora

Lisa said...

ABSOLUTELY Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Your hubby did a great job. I love the sunset picture, it is so pretty with the lake behind it. Lucky little ones who get to play there!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW That is fabulous !!! You should get the copyright on that !!!

I always love checking in on your blog, I'm interested in adoption in the future (although I'm only 22atm) its lovely watching Sophia grow, she is such a sweetie,

Katie in England xx

Leah Reeves said...

That swing set top is amazing!

You left a comment on our blog that you may have a few questions about Ethiopia adoption. Please email me and ask any thing. I am soon going to start working for our adoption agency.
leah697@yahoo.com

~Leah~LID 11.27.06

Dawn and Dale said...

I LOVE it!!!

I think it was a beautiful idea that was just as beautifully created!!!

Great job!!!

Nancy said...

WOW!!!
That is all I have to say. It is amazing. I've never seen a play yard so functional, and pretty.

jennifer said...

How awesome is that!! Absolutely amazing!! Have a great weekend.

Elise said...

That is the most wonderful play set I have ever seen! How fun!!! Perfect for summer! What a talented daddy they have:).

Sorry you received mean anon comments....I don't get people sometimes. When reading over comments given to the Chapman family last week on their site I was just appalled at some of the nasty remarks. Especially at a time of a families deep pain and grief. Thankfully, 99% were loving words of sympathy but it just takes a few rotten apples.

You are wonderfully joyful person who has her priorities in order...we just need to pray for the others who need feel God's love for them.

Tiffany said...

OH my.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it...
That is just beautiful and looks like SOOO much fun!
What a great idea and great work!

mommy24treasures said...

oh Stef I love it! Its perfect for a Princess!

Marla said...

Holy crap! That thing totally rocks!! Way to go Dad!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Wowie Kazowie!!! (That's what Lottie always says when something is totally awesome!)

Can we come play???

We live right by the lake and I just love the sun going down over the water.....just breathtaking.

kerri said...

Absolutely amazing, it's perfect for an Empress.
Talented Hubby, he's a keeper ;)
Your flower baskets are gorgeous, nice touch. ;)
BTW, the last photo is breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Steffie!! A beautiful Pagoda paradise!:)

Your children will have wonderful memories.

OH MY #6 said...

it fantastic! What a nice Mommy & Daddy you are! Love the view of the lake.

Have a good weekend.

Lea

Mr.Brian said...

Gee that bis very very nice.I am sure the kiddies love it.
May I come play in it too????

Mom 2 six said...

Very beautiful !
One talented hubby !

Michelle R Photography said...

Wow!! Can David come down to Ohio? It's not that far. I can think of a few projects for him to do. He did an amazing job. How fun for the kids! The bottom photo is just gorgeous. Love it.

Shirley said...

Oh my..do you rent your husband out? My little Olivia wants to come over to play!! Everything looks great!

Diana said...

OMG..Can I come spend a weekend..I will sleep it the pagoda. That is amazing. I am so darn impressed!!

Nikki said...

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I love love love what you guys have done there...and now I know FOR SURE that when we come for a visit Lily will never want to leave!

Love you...now, email me and tell me what is going on with you!!!

Adele said...

Okay, it is very late but I am headed to wake my husband up and show this to him. Mallory MUST have a play yard like this. OH my word, I can't tell you how much I LOVE THIS!!!!! Where did you get the plaques and lanterns? I am so copying this idea. Also, I am so coming to visit you one day. I would love to live on a lake. I love the pic of the sunset on the lake. So beautiful! Drop me an email and let me know what all you are up to. Take care!!!

Kayce said...

THAT is a must have for our back yard!!! I'm off to show my husband and tell him to get to work! Awesome job your hubby did!

Ashley Winters said...

You should send a picture to Home and Gardens. Your back yard is awesome!

D & S said...

That is one heck of a play are! Can I come over and play?

Doreen said...

What a dream play area! Love it!!!
As for nasty comments....just feel sorry for those out there that feel the need to be so negative. They're not worth acknowledging,

Doreen in Montreal Mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

Truly Blessed said...

Oh my word! That is gorgeous -- love, love, love the paper lanterns too!

Sophia, Daniel & miss Olivia are certainly luck little kids!

Did you know we're heading for China in just 20 days? What am I doing on the computer when I should be getting ready?

JMCS said...

Stteffie,

Wow! What a great job! This should be in a magazine. How creative and special. I love Sofia's nickname too, it is really cute. I can tell she loves her new swingset/pagoda Take care.

Hugs,
Jonni

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!! Love the view! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Holly said...

Oh wow! I love it! What a wonderful idea. And a gorgeous view as well.

Adoption Blog said...

Can I come and Play?!? I'm a fantastic play date to say the least and Bhavishya is even better! LoL!!!

This play ground is just F A B U L O U S!!!

We want one! ;-)))

I love the idea of the lanterns and the flowers!

The sunset is just Stunning! How romantic!

Saskia

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

That play area is something to behold. It is an amazing work of art. Your children will make some wonderful memories there. Kudos to you and your dh.

Lauren said...

That is absolutely amazing!!

FHL said...

Wow! I love the way you converted the playset and made it gorgeous! Your hubby did an amazing job!

Julia said...

That is SO cool!!! What an idyllic setting you all have right on the water, and all the photos are just lovely.

Par said...

Nicely build!
Your kids are so lucky!
I like those flower pots.

Denise C said...

OH my stars!!!!! Talk about gorgeous!!! Just like I said in my post...."You do everything beautifully"!!!
Steffie, this is the most amazing elaborate playground...race track...pool area...rock wall... slide...sitting area for parents...and SAND dune...(not a box...but a huge dune...heck it looks like Waikiki beach to me!!!!!!)...that I have ever laid my eyes on!
WOW...I am still going to go back and look at ever single detail....probably many times!!! I LOVE the plant boxes you had made too....I love the vines and grasses as well!
OH my....I just cannot say enough about this beautiful place you and your sweet hubby created for your little ones! What a dream come true for them!!!
Hugs!!!
Denise

Julie said...

WOW!!!!

Pam said...

What a nice play area. I love the sun set. I hate that I missed you when you were in town last.

OH MY #6 said...

I keep coming and looking at these pictures. Its adorable.

Lea

have a good Sunday!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

tell David I will put him up in the Oatsvall Towers if he will come build us one ... it is fabulous ... a true dream for any child ... love ya ... i may come out of hiding on tuesday or so ... love ya bunches ...

t~ said...

I want a pagoda! Wow, that is so nice! Actually, nice doesn't really begin to describe the love I'm feeling for that play area and view....I'm in love, true love.

p.s. I can totally see icon whipping one of these babies up for her future princess.

Keisha said...

Wow! You are a very Blessed Woman! The view is Awesome & the kids play yard is very special.. built Just for them! I bet they have a blast!
What would we do without our hubbys? ;0)
Blessings,
Keisha

Denna said...

I love it. That is the coolest play area. I love the beautiful sunset. Very nice.

Wendy said...

What a great play area... What lake is that in the back ground..

Enjoy your day
Wendy

Livin' out loud said...

Can you say "WOW"??? I mean WOW, can we come and play? LOL

Noemi said...

This is just lovely! I agree with all the above comments! OMG Dave is just one talented man! Your kids will always remember that play area.

Hope you have a nice day!

Kristi said...

What an amazing/happy place to play! Wow!

Kim said...

Hope you had a GREAT weekend..
I am waiting for you to tell your secret..
I know you have one...
HUGS girly..
I just LOVE this playarea.

insanemommy said...

Now that's a play yard girl..... Love it!

Briana's Mom said...

That is a GORGEOUS play yard! Just beautiful!

Mei Mei Journal said...

I have always thought of playsets as eyesores. Yours is beautiful, fit for a prince and princesses. Thanks for showing us.
April

Shelly and Family said...

What an amazing play-yard for the kids to have! Tell David he did a beautiful job on the Pagoda!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeosu!! How fun.

Cindy said...

OMG! my girls would totally love it. well first, we would have to have a swingset first:) That is just beautiful. Kudos to your hubby.

3 Peanuts said...

So beautiful...we want to come play!

Anne said...

I love what you've done to the playset!

I really feel for you all that are waiting so long! I've adopted from China three times and waited 13 mo., 5 mo. and 4 mo. (The last two were SN off a list.)

Good luck and hang in there, as you know, its all 100% worth it!