Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hard Time Adjusting

We are having a little trouble adjusting to all the changes here since we have been back. The time change has been the toughest for most of us. Daniel is going through a new phase.....he almost acts scared in his bed. I have had to leave the hall light on for the past two nights and it has taken him FOREVER to go to sleep. He was in the same room with David and I the two weeks we were in Maui. At least last night he slept through the night. Sophia is adjusting the easiest....go figure! ;)
I came downstairs this morning to find every light in Emmie's room on, TV going and no Emmie in her bed. I called for her, went to her bathroom where the light was still on as well and a little trickle of water running from the sink and her toothbrush just thrown into the sink.
I went upstairs to her old room where the light was on as well. This is another play room for the kids and we just put a twin bed in there. She obviously had slept there because her new pink dotted pillow was there along with her dog Tram that she has slept with since like 1st grade. The bathroom light was on as well, but no Emmie.

I go into Sophia's room, (heart pounding a little at this point) and I find her in bed with Sophia. Now mind you, the girls slept in a king size bed together for two weeks while we were on vacation. I think they loved it and Emmie never complained. Emmie has always been scared at night. I don't really know why.....but obviously we are going to have to talk when she gets up today.....they aren't going to be able to share a twin bed. Good thing that little rail was up because Sophia was right at the edge of it. ~sigh~ I knew when we moved her down to the main level that there could be trouble........ lol Poor baby! Hope we can get this under control.....and Daniel too.

UPDATE: The girls are up and Emmie has informed me that she wants to sleep with Sophia. "You hear about siblings that do this all the time" she says..... ~sigh~ I am NOT putting a double bed in Sophia's room.....I'm not quite sure what I am going to do about this...any suggestions??????

32 comments:

Gwen Oatsvall said...

well i can identify with sleepless nights here ...hope it all works out ... i am thinking about a name for our blog ... nothing hitting me yet! i got my hour of cardio in yesterday ... maggie has decided she doesn't like the Y anymore ...wouldn't go at all last week ... she freaked out ... so i am working out at home (not my favorite way for me time) ... talk to you later today ... give Emmie a hug for me ...

OH MY #6 said...

Cute story from this end. But, yes, that sleep disturbance coming home from Maui always catches me off guard.

U never did say what your shopping damage was at Whalers!

Lea

Kim said...

Hope everyone gets their sleep habits back to normal soon.. It's a good thing that Emmie is off this week...
About them sleeping together..
I don't know... Let Sophia sleep with Emmie in her room for awhile..
Just throwing things out there. if they are anything like my kids.. they will change their minds agian..
HUGS..
Nice talking to you last night..

Gail said...

Yes that lovely jet lag thing...we traveled to Hawaii last May and Grace was fine adjusting after we got home, dh and I were not for awhile. As for your Emmie...it's probably a phase right now and she wants sleep pretty badly, I'd let the 2 of them sleep together...it will pass eventually when she's back on your real time.
ahhh...there's always something isn't there? I can relate. :)

Anonymous said...

You know, I think this is precious! My 12 year old can't wait till Miss Ellie is out of her crib so they can sleep together - we'll see! It may or may not change for your two, but think of the sweet memories they'll have if they do continue to share a bed.......
Blessings ~

Debbie said...

I think this is a sweet story but I also know how your heart dropped when you couldn't find your daughter!!! That is scary. My kids think its funny that every night before I go to bed, I open their door and check on them. I don't the married ones when they are here but Heidy and Skyler I do.

And I wanted to say, I love the PINK room!!!

Debbie

redmaryjanes said...

Wow, it sounds like maybe the children became closer over the vacation. They will readjust, it will just take a little time. I'm glad you all are home safe and happy.

Noemi said...

Mickey sneaks out of his bed and goes to sleep with Joey every night! If Mickey does not do it Joey goes and gets him out of his bed to his! I think it is just too cute! They will forever remember this when they are older. Hope you all get back on schedule soon!

mommy24treasures said...

oh thats so sweet... Can Sophia just sleep in Emmie's room in the bigger bed or will that throw her off for naps and things?
Daniel has always been such a good sleeper I am sure he will get back in routine pretty quick.

polkadot said...

Have them sleep in Emmie's room... maybe Sophia will make a mess of things and Emmie will kick her out on her own?

OK, your new header is AMAZING and I WANT one so how did you do that?

Michelle said...

Jet lag is not fun. What a beautiful blog you have!

~Amy~ said...

Oh man...Things are starting to get crazy in the Beckering house! hehe... I definitly like to sleep with someone else too so I totally know how Emmie feels!

Oh and the video...didn't suprise me any! I know you too well Steffie!! It gave me a good laugh...hehe

;)

Sophie's Mom said...

I'd let them do it, personally. Sophia and Paige shared a room for awhile, but Sophia kept making messes with her make up and such, and we had to move her out. Paige loved having here in there (separate beds), but was glad to see her go after all the messes! I think it was the whole sister bonding thing.

I think if you moved them in together (to completely share one room), it wouldn't be long before your older girl was ready to have her own room back! :)

If not, and they're getting along great, I don't see any harm there!

Sophie's Mom said...

What's the address for Emmie's blog? I can't find it on your sidebar...

The Byrd's Nest said...

Well, I know you don't want my advice being that Lottie, Emma Jane and I all sleep in a full size bed in Lottie's room every night!

I love the idea!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Steffie - You don't know how much I can related to your post. Since we returned home from China, Emma has refused to sleep in her bedroom. Mind you she has two bedrooms. The new one and the old one. Josie has never set foot in her crib and we now have a single mattress on the floor next to my bed so that we can accommodate the whole family in ONE room. I can't wait to read other folks suggestions.

Love ya,
Kim K.

Nancy said...

My youngest brother slept with me for years. I say if they are OK sleeping in the twin bed let them. Eventually Emmie will get tired of being kicked, poked and prodded and decide to go back to her bed.
In the mean time, just let them be.
My sisters(2 of them) and I shared a queen size bed from the time I was 12 until I went to college. We survived.

Nancy said...

OH, and I saw Emmie's blog. Laughed by butt off!

Young Creations said...

Both of my children has sleep issues. If I could have known then what I know now, (that they both grew out of them) I would have been way more relaxed. I believe that the less you stress about it, the less it will be a big deal. That is my advise. Hope it helps.
Lauren

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Addison has had trouble sleeping since we came home from Disneyworld. When we were at Disneyworld, Addison and Daddy shared a bed and a room while Livi and Mommy had a adjoining room. Addison wakes up in the middle of the night and calls for her daddy to come and lay down with her ::sigh:: We are a bit tired over here.

i would let the two sleep together. Eventually Emmie will want more space and go back to her room : )

Mr.Brian said...

Mix yourself a drink and call Dr.Phill.
LOLOLOL no sugestions from me,sorry!

Yoli said...

My little ones share the room for now. Step, I think you might want to consider it. It is helping her sleep. It causes no harm. Soon when they are older they will want their own room. Come on...you are the fun Mom!

Yoli said...

By the way Steffie, that is an adorable header!!!

Kim said...

LOVE IT!!!!
the video is tooo cute..
Have a Great Day..
HUGS

Michelle R Photography said...

Sorry I don't have any recommendations on the sleep situation, but I do have to say... YOU ARE TOO FUNNY! Love the video on Emmie's site. :-)

Kim said...

give in...they will be grown up before you know it...sharing secrets at night is a great bond of sisterhood and Emmie has waited her whole life for a sister...

Mommy Spice said...

We had to start leaving S.G.'s door wide open at night with the bathroom light on when she turned four. She is scared at night, and goes through some nights where she's just terrified. We've been dealing with it for the past 3 nights. Such fear....

Anyway, I was hoping she'd be ok by the time she was Emmie's age. Poor thing. Don't know any suggestions, as you are there before me. I think when we get our Mei Mei, S.G. will be sharing a room with her.

Laura Nipper said...

Okay now that video is to funny. Love the spunky attitude. :)
No advice from me on the sleeping issues. My kids are horrible sleepers. Morgan still sleeps with us and Aiden still wakes up in the middle of the night to come lay on the floor in our bedroom. I guess if they are not waking you up in the middle of the night let the girls sleep together.

D & S said...

That is sweet! A teen and a tot is a twin bed...I agree I don't think it would work that great. How about a trundle bed?

Jewels of My Heart said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that is just so sweet it melts my heart..... I can't help but think back to the post you did on all the dolls and stuffed animals Sophia wants to sleep in her bed... and now she has her big sister too.... I'm sorry, but they are so darling..... I say, MOVE THE BIG BED IN MAMA!
I'm thinkin' I'm not a big help... sorry, I can't help it.

3 Peanuts said...

I think it is so sweet that they want to sleep together! Can they sleep in Emmie's bed...is it bigger?

Kim

Heather K said...

Hi first time to your blog...hopping through adoption blogs..your's has been quite interesting..great photos!!
I had to stop and comment though because my two oldest girls have had their own rooms since they were 4 and 5. My oldest has never slept in her own room. They are now 16 and 15 and are still sleeping together! They still have their own rooms but sleep together in the same one. It has been an amazing thing..they are VERY close..they do pretty much everything together and even share the same friends.

I don't know if they are still sleeping together but I would let them sleep together..what an awesome way to form a deep tie of sisterly love!