Monday, February 4, 2008

Our Gated Community.....

We live in a "Gated Community" at our house.......literally! It's crazy! I have 8 gates up in order to keep an eye on Thing 1 and Thing 2. Well, mostly Thing 2 at this point, but Thing 1 is in a "I'm going to really be quiet stinker stage and see what I can get away with". We have the "pull down" door handles which are very easy to figure out at a young age. Hmmmmm........mistake perhaps, but I like that look. ~sigh~ ;) Because I needed so many gates, I was not going to go out and buy those fancy schmancy ones.....these are two in a pack for $24.99 and so far they are doing the job just fine. Left to right.....my laundry room. A for sure gate is needed here. Then we have the stairs that lead up to our bedroom and Daniels. There are times I think I could take this down so he could go up and down as he'd like. However, then a gate will need to be added to our bedroom door AND when Daniel goes into his room, do you think he wants the books and toys that are there? (well he does) Oh no....he wants to go to the changing table where the wipes, diapers, butt cream and powder are. Can you imagine that all over his room. Oh I can! ~sigh~ Next is one of our downstairs bathrooms. The one where Miss Fia usually does her business. Yes.....I lift her cute little tokus over that gate every time I hear the "I need to go potty scream"......otherwise The Boy is just right in there with us getting into all the drawers, falling into the tub, messing with the TP and so on. Next is the staircase heading up to the "Hamster Run" as we call. ( play area ) Very steep stairs.......gated needed is a must! Then we have Thing 1's bedroom. That is mostly to keep her "IN" at this point......little monster! ;) Then Sophia's bathroom.....well, that's just a given....safety again. Then the stairs leading up to Sophia's wing of the house and the new playroom that I have recently put a tent in and some other fun toys. During the day I take this gate down. Neither one of the Things is very excited to go up there yet unless they are together or I go with them. And lastly.....Emmie's new room downstairs. How funny is that....she for sure wants Thing 2 out and Thing 1 is only allowed access when Thing Teen is in the mood! You wouldn't believe how good I am with these gates. I can carry anything over, both arms full, kids on hips, big huge boots, stilletto's....whatever....... No hands needed for Steffie to get over.....it must be a Mom thing! ;) (again, click on to enlarge)

34 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love your gated community reference. Those pictures are too funny. Chris and I started thinking about toddler proofing over the weekend and it's quite overwhelming (and also exciting). Have a great week! Happy "almost" Chinese New Year!!

Love,
Kim K.

mommy24treasures said...

reminds me so much of when J and C were little. No need to go to the gym; just a run throuth the house jumping over gates and you have got your workout;)

Anonymous said...

That is a great post!

Lea

PS. I gotta get me on of those signatures!

Denise C said...

You crack me up! I love your gated community!!! I am going to email you with a question.....
Hugs!

Sophie's Mom said...

Wow! The only gates we have around here now, are for the pups. I was so happy to remove the gate from the top of the stairs (what a pain to take it down and put it back up!) when Sophia could do the stairs by themselves. They are oak stairs, and lots of them, so I always hated the thought of her tumbling down them. At least the carpeted ones would be a little softer to fall down.

Our thing these days are the door knob safety lock covers, and the magnetic cupboard door and drawer locks. Other than that... we're pretty 'normal'. (yeah, right!)

~Amy~ said...

We have 4 up and I thought that was bad! ;)

kerri said...

We left our gated community when Jillian started to easily climb over them. I swear she is a little monkey.
Thanks for the giggle this morning, just sitting envisioning you hurdling over them in your heels,LOL.
I could hold full laundry basket and hop over but heels, I'm not sure, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Too Funny!!!

(BTW, I haven't mentioned it, but I love your blog design!)

The Byrd's Nest said...

Yep, gates are necessary to keep your sanity! Your post made me laugh this morning! Reminds me of my two little trouble makers!!!

RamblingMother said...

I had the gated community for puppies for over a year and tripped over them so many times I am surprised to have not broken my neck.

congrats on referral day, Friday.

beverly

RamblingMother said...

I had the gated community for puppies for over a year and tripped over them so many times I am surprised to have not broken my neck.

congrats on referral day, Friday.

beverly

Michelle said...

Too funny ... but I remember the gated community well. :-)

cougchick said...

that is hysterical!

You can only see so much when they are in sneaky mode. Way to go Steffie!

JulieM said...

That is too funny!! I would love you be a mouse in your house lol!

Nancy said...

I miss living in a gated community. Hope I get to again very soon!!!!!

Laura Nipper said...

Wow now that is some gates. Always got to be one step of the things.

Nikki said...

You can hurdle the gates in heels??? Really?
Now THAT is a picture I would like to see!

Mr.Brian said...

I am having a good laugh here.Maybe you should have bars like a prison put in.You are given some type of card to swipe before you can enter any room.Yep I think that will be the next step when the Things figure out the gate.
I could check into a wander gaurd for you to.All I would do is stap a band around their ankle and if they go out a doo or what ever an alarm sounds.
I will also check into a padded room for you.There has to be days when you need it.
Just remember I love you hon.
Hugs,
Mr.Brian

Lauren said...

HAHA!!! Thats great!

Sandra said...

How funny! I love it...

Marla said...

Hahaha, that's a LOT of gates! You must be one coordinated mom to get over all those, I'm not sure I'd survive all of those without at least one trip to the ER. ;)

Hope you have a great week!

Gail said...

I LOL when I first saw the gate pics! Yes, I remember those days well in our house, and I miss them in many ways! :)

Kim said...

TOO FUNNY!!!!
We have a Gated house too.. but not for little one yet... for furbabies...LOL..
Hope your weekend was Great...
Hugs to you girly..

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That is priceless! Gives a whole new meaning to the term "gated community!" LOL!

C's Mom said...

Heehee..I LOVE that take on the 'gated community'

Tiffany said...

Steffie that is hilarious! You always make me laugh and I love the gated community reference!

D & S said...

Not quite the gated community I'm use to but one that I would be happy getting use to.

Rachael said...

OK, off topic but I *love* the background music on your blog right now. It's so mellow and...lovely.

Gracie said...

Gates, Gates, Gates....when my dog was a puppy we would put a gate in the laundry room. She loved it in there. I remember when I had to get the clothes out of the drier.....I tripped over the gate and fell flat on my face! I dont ever think I walked in the laundry room again for about 6 to 8 months......

Glad to know you can get over them and around them better than I can ;)

Love that collage of pictures... 2 CUTE!!

day by day said...

a gated community...that is too funny! Gosh, I don't know if getting over the gates gracefully is a Mom thing....I have tripped over them several times myself. : )

insanemommy said...

Ummmm, Missy are you doing your laundry in your stilletto's again? Wait till the kiddies go to bed..

We took the gates down a long time ago. I got tired of hurdeling them! Of course hubs had the big tall ones installed. I think he thought the girls were going to "scale" them. What a goof.

Anonymous said...

When my kids were little, I also bought those special plastic handles that fit OVER the door handles. THey are cheap and adults can open the door with them because you have to have a bigger hand and squeeze the plastic thing around the door handle to make it open...when kids try to do it, the plastic thing just goes around and around the door handle...it actually is pretty entertaining for some kids because they try very hard to open it, but then again, some kids get frustrated...it might work for your older daughter's room because only she and you and your hubby could open it and it eliminates at least ONE gate!!

Nancy

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

ROTFL I am so happy to have all gates taken down around here. We needed gates with Livi but not so much with Addison. Addison listened well and didn't go where she didn't belong.

Wendy said...

Thank God for Gates... I would have lost my mind a long time ago without them. Running for anything in the house is like running hurddles.