Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I'll never be the same again........

The day Sophia was placed in my arms, I knew I would never be the same again. As I looked around the room at the weeping families all receiving their babies, I knew I was a part of something so special, so deep and rare, that I wanted to hold onto it forever. Only we would understand the bond that would take place during these 2 weeks together. Sophia was such a special gift, I could hardly believe she was ours......forever. From that moment on and during the next few months, my life seemed to come full circle. All my struggles, trials in life, ups and downs.......they just disappeared as I realized I had come to understand my purpose in life. Sophia brought peace into my soul when I thought nothing would. She was my baby, my second chance, the piece that filled the hole in my heart.......she is my precious child and I love her more than words can say............my sweet Sophia....you are my Asian Princess.........my inner peace, my soul, my love and I will love you until the end of time..........

These pictures are of my Yahoo Group...."Sweet Peas" and the day Sophia was featured on the Homepage after we got our referral, Gotcha Day and Forever Family Day, April 7th and 8th, 2005.

50 comments:

Adele said...

Oh how precious!!!!! I am loving these photos of your first moments with sweet Sophia. I received Mallory in that very room in Changsha and my life was totally changed at that moment also. Like you, I realized my purpose in life when we got our daughter.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. They are absolutely priceless!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Those pictures are so precious. I was wiping away tears pouring over them. I'm so anxious to experience these same emotions and for our daughter to finally have a sibling. Seeing Emmie with Sophie gives me such hope.

Blessings,
Kim
http://youbelong.net/thekenwards

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

These are such tender and beautiful pictures. There are days when I feel so frustrated as a parent that I have to go back and look at our Gotcha Day pictures to remind me how wonderful it all is. I look forward to reading more special posts about Sophia.

Jill and Jaap said...

How sweet! Thanks for sharing those pictures with us! And congratulations on this very special day!

Anonymous said...

love, love, love your heart and the depth of that love for your family is so real ... we celebrate with you and sophia .... our pingjiang family has changed all our lives and i will be forever thankful to the Lord for you all ... love ya sister ...

Elizabeth said...

OK, lump in throat here...
I cannot wait for this to happen to me. Thank you for letting me sneak peek the day by living through your photos. So beautiful, the three of you. I love it.
PS.
I'm so glad you like your books!

Holly said...

Awww those are such sweet pictures! I love the birthday blog.

sheryl said...

We are so very blessed to have our lives changed in such an amazing and wonderful way. I love your post and I totally relate to finally finding your inner peace and purpose through your daughter. I experienced a very similar thing when Linzi came home, I have never been the same since!

Have a wonderful, special day with your sweet girl and the rest of your "things"!

Sheryl

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday Sophia!

redmaryjanes said...

Steffie,
I am tears here at work. How absolutely precious those words are and they could only come from the heart of a mother.
Happy Birthday darling Sophia!

jennifer said...

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing them. That has to be such a surreal moment. I can't wait!

Carrie said...

I LOVE your birthday celebration design honoring and remembering Sophia who ia almost three. Can't wait to see more!

Dawn said...

Your words are beautiful. I wish Sophia a very Happy Birthday, and you a wonderful day sharing it with her!

Kim said...

How AMAZING..
I am crying reading and looking at your pictures..
That day has to stick in you forever..
I am so waiting for that day..
Sophia is soooo pretty and has an amazing family..
Have a great day..
Kim

Kim said...

oh so precious!!! Why are my friends making me cry today? I am soooo happy for you!

Noemi said...

This is just preciouse. You are so lucky to have experienced awesome Journey. She is so much loved by you and your family. I can see why you would never be the same...

({HUGS})

Unknown said...

Oh how I remember the day you received your referral of Sophia! Those were days of joy and anxiousness, weren't they? And now the peace of seeing God's plan unfold and grow up right before our eyes is a joy that cannot be measured.

I know that peace when they are placed in your arms and all the anxiety and uncertainty washes away the moment you touch her and hold her.

If I could go back in time and talk to the me that was then, I would let her know that the joy is in the journey and to never be afraid.

Congratulations to little Sophia on turning 3! What a joy and blessing she has been to all of you!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

How sweet. Our two Gotcha Days will be forever in my head and heart; so emotional and life changing.

I can't believe Sophia is almost 3! Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea!

4D said...

What sweet and special memories!!!

The 8th of April is also special to me...it is my b-day.

She was such a little one and now she is a firecracker!

Keep smilin!

Nikki said...

None of us will ever be the same again!
I'm so happy to have met you in such an incredibly special way...our families have a bond that could never be broken.

I'm amazed at how much your family has changed and grown in just 2 years! Wow. God is so good.

Can't wait to celebrate Sophia's birthday with you all.

Nancy said...

I Love the Birthday look. You did a great job.
The pictures are priceless.

Happy 3rd Birthday Sophia:)

Polar Bear said...

Amazing! The pictures - your story are all wonderful.

Happy Birthday Sophie! I know you will have a wonderful day!!!

LaLa said...

Great story about your gotcha and family days. I am sitting here with tears as your pics brought back the memories of our day too. It really is amazing how our lives were all changed on the other side of the world...

Mei Mei Journal said...

Happy Birthday sweet Sophia! I remember your Gotcha Day, Lindsay had been following your story. She fell in love with your family and now the rest of us have too. Lauren LOVES your videos and would have so much fun playing with you.
April

C's Mom said...

Pure sweetness!

kitchu said...

What a blessing Stef- thanks for sharing her with us!

Lori said...

These are beautiful! It looks like a "never the same again" moment!
I LOVE the last one of you holding her so tenderly, her face is precious!
Thanks for sharing those and happy Birthday to Sophia!

Two Kayaks said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

shelley said...

Happy Birthday precious one. S...I couldn't have said it better myself. I am so touched by your words. They sunk right to my heart.

Live it up Sophia, time is passing so fast.

shelley said...

Happy Birthday precious one. S...I couldn't have said it better myself. I am so touched by your words. They sunk right to my heart.

Live it up Sophia, time is passing so fast.

Dannye said...

such precious moments...to go with that precious Asian princess!!

Anonymous said...

AWWW, I am totally all weepy. She is so beautiful. I remember being so excited for you- we were there only days before you- and we had just gotten home on April 8th. Lots of memories. : )I hope our spicy girls get a chance to meet one day!!

Roy and Lori said...

Happy Birthday sweet girl!

Anonymous said...

This room is such an important place in our lives now, isn't it? All these beautiful pictures brought me so many good memories.
I cannot wait to live that experience again, like you.
Happy Birthday to your little chinese princess!

kerri said...

What a life changing moment, thank you for sharing this intimate time with us.
It flooded my memory bank with sweet flashbacks, oh were blessed.

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

She is beautiful ~ perfect ~ and amazing ;D

Ladybug hugs,
Debbie

Tiffany said...

What a special Sophia, a special day, and a special family!!!!!!
I remember these precious pictures on The Story of You. I was so happy to come across your blog. It is such a joy to follow along.

Happy Birthday Sophia! She is such a cutie pie!

Love the new blog design!

Liz and Ava said...

What beautiful words of love for your daughter! Happy Birthday Sophia!

mommy24treasures said...

This was such a great idea to have a birthday blog!
Love seeing your special day...

crazylady said...

Now how am I supposed to snark on your sentiment?
The red in her cheeks is like the fire in your heart.

May the next ten days be a birthday extravaganza.
You are the twin to a girl who used to be my closest friend. It freaks me out little to see you in a close up. You are a beautiful woman,and it makes me miss my old friend. Apparently you are sent to replace her :)

Andie said...

Absolutely precious...and priceless. Sophia is and always will be your Asian Princess.
Blessings to you and the Princess...and the rest of the B Tribe!
Andie

Jewels of My Heart said...

Happy Birthday sweet, precious Sophia... you will never quite know the depth of love your Mama has for you until you hold your baby in your arms...
Steffanie... than you for sharing your beautiful daughter with us and your beautiful heart with us... your post touched my heart, as it mirrored my soul.
Just beautiful...
Thank You Jesus for the little miracles you have placed in our arms.

Sophie's Mom said...

Happy Birthday Sophia! What a beautiful post. It's amazing how fast the time flies, and 'gotcha moment' seems it was an eternity ago, until we pull those pictures and video out, and it all comes rushing back.

Thanks for sharing!

Elise said...

What an amazing look back on a beautiful day...Happy Birthday to your precious girl!

Adele said...

Hey Steffie,
Thanks for your sweet comments about my new blog look. I know you have been secretly wishing I would do something about my blog and make it look more cool....like yours. :) Well, someone offered to do it for me and I just love it. I told them I wanted hot pink polka dots on an orange background and I got it!
I decided not to do the secret pal thing on our DTC group. Since the wait is taking so long, I just opted not to do that this time. I am sure I will regret it when I see you getting some cool stuff. Hey, did you ever find out if there is a website that we can order the Cherry Blossom DTC stuff? I saw where you asked that question but never saw an answer. Let me know. Take care!

Tracy said...

Oh, I just love these photos. I received in Hannah in the same room--actually, we were in Changsha at the same time you were. Brings back lots of memories. Sophia was an adorable baby!!

D & S said...

Look at those cheeks! I want to squish them.

insanemommy said...

I'm reading this and I got goose bumps. Your "gotcha day" was the day we landed in the states. WE just missed one another..

She is precious and so adorable. I love her little cheeks.

t~ said...

Now I'm crying. There just are no words to describe a Gotcha moment. All these photos are gorgeous.

cougchick said...

I have such a lump in my throat and an ache in my chest. I really long to have this same thing happen. Thanks for sharing those beautiful first moments with your Sophia.