Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Big Talk

When we came home with Sophia in April 2005, it wasn't more than 2 months and I was already obsessing about going back to China for another baby girl. Although while in China....I knew I would one day return for another. I began searching the SN lists because I was curious what the SN needs were and what put these precious children on a different waiting list. I came across a little girl that haunts me to this day. She had a round little face, pouty lips like Sophia and a turquoise hand knit sweater on. Her SN needs was that she had two fingers webbed together on one hand and on the other hand her thumb was a larger than normal. I thought to myself.....OMW.....I could take care of her, I could take her to the best surgeon possible.....I could fix these things for this precious little girl. Needless to say, it didn't happen, but it began my thoughts of searching a little deeper for my next child. Once our Dossier was on it's way to China, I brought up these thoughts to David. I explained to him what I knew about Bethany's COP lists and what kind of SN I thought we could handle as parents and as a family. I asked him to pray about it, that I didn't need an answer right away. About a week later he walked out to the swing set while I was pushing Fia. He told me he had an answer. He told me he was open to the possibility and we discussed some of the SN issues we thought we could handle. I have no idea if God will place a SN child with us or if we will wait until it is our time.......but whatever He has in store for us, I will except it without question.
Currently the COP list from Bethany Christian Services just came out. This will be our first time requesting children from this list. We are considering 3 girls. I have been doing research, gathering papers together for my Pediatrician, writing letters, and praying. This process has consumed my thoughts and time the past few days.......so that is where my mind has been. I am shocked at how emotional I feel over it all. I thought I would be stronger. Each picture I see........I cry........because I know that I could love her with all my heart. Although I know we will not be chosen, I feel it is important to submit our requests. There are several families that have been waiting far longer than we have and they deserve to be chosen first. Two of these little girl's would practically be a twin to Daniel. However crazy that may sound..........I feel so called to do whatever it takes to bring these precious babies home. I have never felt so at peace in my life. If and when God places another child with us......I/we will be ever so thankful.

70 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

I remember you telling about that little girl at one of our dinners. I think that it is wonderful that you are reviewing the COP lists and opening yourselves up to whichever path the Lord may steer you toward. You are an amazing mother and friend. I get so much out of knowing you. You have helped me every step of the way with our adoption and I can't wait to see what God has in store for you.

Polar Bear said...

How wonderful. It must be so hard yet so exciting all at the same time to be considering those three precious little girls. The best will happen for them. (I hope one is with you.) :)

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope it doesn't go by too slowly for you. :)

redmaryjanes said...

Yes, I'm up. I desperately need some coffee though! Some friends of ours are selling their boat, so we brought it home for consideration last night. The inside is great, but they live on the Muskegon River, and the hull is scratched and need some love. I don't know if we'll take it or not.

Shirley said...

Good Luck with your journey. You are an amazing family!!

Kim said...

WOW... Good Luck.. I am praying for you...
You are amazing..
Have a great day.
Kim

Shirley said...

Steff,
Laptop will def. be with me for photos and videos!!

Jack's Mom said...

How wonderful for you and your family. I will pray for you to let God place just the right little girl with you like He did with Sophia!

Linette said...

This is awesome Steffie! I can't wait to follow along and see God at work. :)

Mr.Brian said...

Wonderful idea SN's children need loving homes too.

C's Mom said...

What amazing news. I am so happy for your family and hope your new child find her way to you soon!

Noemi said...

Ohh Steffie, You are such an AMAZING woman, and have such a beautiful family. I am sure that GOD will place in your arms the little girl that is for YOU and YOU FAMILY.

I will pray for you my friend!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I pray God will show you his plan for you and your family every step of the way and that he will choose the perfect child for your family.

Blessings,
Lisa in San Antonio
Mother to Lindy Li-Xiao
Paperchasing for her mei mei

Leah said...

Oh I can't wait to see what God is gonna do. This adoption journey has already changed me so much (for the good). And we've barely gotten started. I will be praying, my friend.
By the way, where did you find those amazing photos/paintings on this post? Beautiful!

Briana's Mom said...

What a wonderful post. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Unknown said...

OK, crying here! Beautiful post. Can't wait to see what God is going to do. Hold on to your hats (and perhaps you'll get your chance to try those disposable undies on your second trip to China ;)

Teresa

polkadot said...

as a momma of two special needs babies from china, I heartily agree with the peace you feel, and know that you will be matched with the right baby! I was after a little girl this go-round, but ended up with the most handsome boy in all of china! feel free to contact me if you ever want to talk to a BTDT mom. http://shuey6.info

Elise said...

That is so exciting, I know God will place the most perfect child with your family!

Elizabeth said...

Sister!
You never told me you were going the SN route too?!?!?!
TGB just left me a great quote on my blog, it went like this: "Her SN was us and our SN was her." Enough said.
So excited for you. The SN route is full of minor correctable medical issues that any child could be born with.
Wow, I didn't think it was possible, but I like even more now.

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! Having a SN child myself, I truly feel that Jazzie found us since we did not request SN. She somehow ended up with us and I am so glad. If your next child happens to have a SN, she will find you.

Tiffany said...

I will keep you all in my prayers. Our Miss Lily was a special waiting child. When I saw her picture I just knew she was our daughter.
We are hoping our second child will also be on the special waiting list. So many things that we think are minor needs puts them on the list.
God will guide you in the right direction.

kerri said...

Wow.
I so happy for you and will keep you in my thought and prayers.
Things will work out the way there intended, I am so happy your so at peace, well deserved.

Beckyb said...

You know we are "right there with you" (and probably requesting the same three girls!!). But I know that God is TOTALLY in control - not us, and I would be thrilled to see them placed in your home too! We're praying - and maybe next week will help take this off of our minds a bit! I'm telling you - it doesn't get any easier each list that comes out!!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

ditto all of it ... i have been praying also and have started my letter to make our request .. i just pray for peace in my heart as i get so attached to those little faces...

Kenzie said...

Hey Stef! Thanks so much for the prayers! My sister made it across the border ok so theres no worry there. Mom's going crazy without Kaleigh. It's quite humerous! lol! But anyways, I miss Emmie too! It's aweful here without her! :( And Lauren Bailey is working in her grandma's elephant ear wagon... what am i to do?? lol! But I've been counting down the days until shes home! I miss her and Lauren so much!
When me and Lauren were at Cedar Point was the worst! We had so much fun and we were so upset knowing Emmie wasn't there! But anyways, better get going! Hope to see you and Emmie soon! Love!
Love, Kenzie Kaye <3

Verna said...

Well stated and beautiful too. We're on the same page with this. Just wish I wouldn't get so nervous about it. ;)

Gracie said...

Sounds like a precious girl! We are so lucky to have the doctors we have

Roy and Lori said...

Best of luck!! I hope everything
works out just the way you plan.

Amy said...

All 3 of my kids were SN kids. Don't be afraid!

PandaMom said...

God will give you the peace you need and the right move if you seek Him first. You know that, but it is always good to hear it over and over again. : )

Ashley said...

Praying for ya and knowing God has it all worked out! :)

LaLa said...

I can't wait to see what God has in store for your family. I know you will be a blessing ton any child who comes into your family and she will be a blessing to you.

Chrissie said...

Question about the COP list. How are the families chosen with Bethany. I know other Agencies do it differently. Is it who inquires first, who has the earliest LID, who would be considered the best match, who writes the best LOI?

www.heart4malawi.blogspot.com

Nesting For Natalie said...

May our God grant you the desires of your heart!

Amy

Amy said...

I would be happy to talk with you about SN's. E-mail me at my Yahoo account. You can find the address on the side bar of my blog page. All 3 of our adopted kids were found on SN waiting lists. 80% of the kids in SWI in China are considered SN. It is moving in the direction that only SN kids will be available. Many of them have very small needs. Many of them already had their need corrected, but are still considered SN.

Diana said...

Your post made me tear up today, I too feel like I have so much to give to these little girls. Part of me would love to take more in, put I can't bear the process. You are an amazing women and I applaud you. The children that are placed with you are forever blessed.

kitchu said...

Wow Stef, there are tears streaming down my face. I sense something shifting in you, and the peace you feel is almost tangible to me. I have a feeling that this will work out, because often we are called to things that God intends for us.

I will keep you and your family, including this future child of yours, in my prayers. :O)

Anonymous said...

still am missing you bunches. we're in london right now, finally at a nice hotel. i'm a bit scared with all the high alerts right now but continuing to have faith. i'll try to call you tonight, so much to tell you!! I got something sweet...desinger brand! OMG I know right! lol. Well g2g...call ya <3 Em

Stacey said...

When will you hear something from your agency? The wait was the hardest part for me. I am ok with someone else getting picked (heartbroken, but glad the kiddos are finding homes!). It is the not knowing that wears me down.

Praying you hear good news and fast!!

Stacey

Calico Sky said...

My heart is beaming...I am so thrilled for you. I hope it all works out. Once you decide to do it, I can honestly say it isn't scary anymore...my fears are all gone, it's amazing!

JMCS said...

What wonderful news about the list. We found our little girl on our agency's SN list and could not have been happier. She was meant to be our daughter. Best of luck, I can't wait to hear more.

Hugs,
Jonni

insanemommy said...

Steff, I'm reading this with goose bump. Literally! There is no need for you pretty lady to be afraid. Although I am not a religious person I do believe in the higher power and I so believe G-d has a very special plan for you. He would not give you anything he did not feel you or your family could not handle. You my friend are a very special person. I am so honored to know you and to love you. I can't wait to hear your wonderful news. You amaze me and yes, I too am applauding you. You go girl!!

Smooches to you and your family. Rony

Mei Mei Journal said...

Steffie,
I think you know that our Lauren was a "waiting child". We are hoping to be matched through CCAI again soon. (They match children from their lists based on a medical conditions checklist). Best wishes, this can be an emotionally draining, but infinitely rewarding process.
April

Deb said...

Wow, that's a powerful post. I love your heart.

"In all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:6

Blessings

Jeff and Valerie said...

What strength you have! Amazing. Prayers being said for you.

3 Peanuts said...

God will lead the perfect little child to your family and to your heart. I will pray for that.

Kim

Holly said...

What a great post! Oh that is just wonderful! God knows which little girl is right for your family and everything will work out the way it is meant to be. Keeping you in my prayers.

Nikki said...

Well, I don't have to tell you how much I love you and your family...I am excited to see what God has in store for the Beckering Tribe.
Keep me posted.
Talk to you soon.

Dannye said...

How are your hubby and cub??? Are they coming home soon??? I worry about them with all the horrible news we've been hearing the past few days...please keep us posted...

Yoli said...

This is a beautiful post. My child Salome is a SN baby. Our next daughter will also be SN. I am glad you have found it in your heart to push past the fear. My child is a heart baby and as you can see from our blog she is not only the love of our life but the picture of health.

Yoli

Praise and Coffee said...

Stef, I pray that the Lord leads you directly and specifically to your new daughter. HE knows who she is and He will show you.

OH how exciting!!

jennifer said...

I know God will bless you with the child He has planned to be in your family since the beginning of time. I am believing that for our family too.

Polar Bear said...

Good Morning!

Only one more night and D and E will be home! You did it!!! :)

Was thinking about you - thought I would say Hi.

insanemommy said...

Where are you today dear friend?

Steffie B. said...

In deep thoughts over these 3 little girls.....bare with me friends...

Jill and Jaap said...

I hope everything works out for you.

Emmie said...

how come ur never on when i am...i wanted to talk to you :(

well i'm comming home tomorrow..cant wait.

bad news though...we had no time to shop today..we had to go to a stupid castle and i thought we were going to a whole little shopping town and was plannin gto get your present there like last year...so i didn't get you anything real big...so sorry but dad keeps saying we just got you a diamond necklace and had a big party... blah blah but w/e. this trip has been so different..all we do is ride on the bus, not much time to shop. oh well, praise the lord it's over. now we'll just pray for safe travels...luv ya

Colleen said...

I just KNOW that everything will work out for your family. I really do. You are an amazing Mom and will be given yet another wonderful gift.

crazylady said...

First let me tell you, I love that your comments scoot me to the end bypassing the remarks made by all your witty bloggy friends.
Also, that second photo seems to jump out at me and come 'out' of the picture as if to magnify the image. Does anyone else experience this?
You are a special family to consider another addition. We are stalled (forever) at a party of four.

Mom 2 six said...

How wonderful !
What will happen will.....We know that even our NSN girls have special needs. I am excited for you-may you find in peace in your future decisions.
It will all come together.

redmaryjanes said...

Hey honey! You guys have a great holiday too!

Laura Nipper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Nipper said...

Wow 60 comments. You are loved. Praying for you little princess to be.

Glenna said...

Stef,

We have been thinking of you and your family -(alot) this week. I hope that you are matched. You are an awesome family!

Glenna said...

Stef,

We have been thinking of you and your family -(alot) this week. I hope that you are matched. You are an awesome family!

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, Stefanie... I know the Lord knows who your little girl is and how exciting to think that she might be with her Mama sooner than we thought. I will be praying for you and your precious daughter.
God's Speed

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

I know you will do what you think is best, if one of these little girls is meant to be yours then she will be if not....then she will be just round the corner..x

Anonymous said...

We were originally NSN, logged in last summer, but soon after, we felt led to go the SN route and got a referral of our precious girl. We have been home since Christmastime with our baby. She is the joy of my heart and her SN does not mean a thing to me. SN is such a good way to go. I honestly cannot imagine going any other route. Praying the best for you and your family and your next "Thing".

k1 said...

My sister has somewhat considered a SN child as their second adoption, but she and her hubby are still a little... concerned, afraid, worried, unsure, etc if that is the route for them. Reading all these comments from BTDT parents, and your own heartfelt musings, I feel convinced that is is something they need to do. If I weren't single, I'd persue it myself.

God bless you and your HUGE, loving heart.

Shandra said...

We went down this same journey to our Baby L. We knew the minue we saw her sweet face she was ours. You will too. I wish you the best on your journey.

Steffie B. said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! ;)