It is hard to believe that Andrew has been home with us for nearly a year. Time seems to be flying by and I wanted to give this celebration the post that it deserves. We will be in Maui on that day { April 7th } and I know that my mind will be in vacation mode, so I am posting this a bit early in order to have my thoughts clearly written down. In a year's time, Andrew has gone from being that shy, unsure little boy we first saw coming down the stairwell in the orphanage in Beijing, to a confident, out going little guy that has us all laughing with his sense of humor.
His smile and bright eyes light up any room and he seems to be a magnet that draws people to him, adults as well as children. I believe he loves his family and can sense that we are indeed his forever family. At times I think he still might be worried about having to leave us, but being that I will never truly know about his situation prior to us bringing him home, I can only imagine that being taken away from his foster family and then being put in the orphanage until we arrived would be enough to put any 3 1/2 year old child into a fear of being abandoned again. He seems secure when we travel and get on a plane, he seems to understand that when I go out or when Daddy and I go out that we will be back. He has bonded well with all the other children and I think that he might kinda, sorta.... even like Daniel now. The boys spend the most time together and have learned how to play quite well. They have their moments as all siblings do, but for the most part they are like twins. Constantly together and getting into all sorts of trouble. I am happy to see that Andrew does defend himself now. At first, he just cried if Daniel { or Fia } did something, but now I see him swatting back and clearly stating his point. Now, I do not allow hitting, but let's be honest and say that at times it happens before you can say anything about it. Andrew is also very limber. He flips around and does all sorts of gymnastics with ease. Next fall I plan to get all three into tennis and Tae Kwon Do.
The transition from Mandarin to English was amazing to us. He won't even speak Chinese
if you ask him too. Something tells me that is out of fear. And although he has used chopsticks a few times since being home, he clearly recognizes the fact that Fia and Daniel can't and that it makes him different. He doesn't like that. NOT.AT.ALL. I find at times that he still feels if Fia or Daniel have something he doesn't, then he must have it too. { mostly food/drink } Even if he really doesn't want it. Andrew also has excellent fine motor skills and patience. He does get frustrated, but he will keep going at it until he accomplishes what he set out to do. He loves school and learning. I have decided to run a small home schooling curriculum this summer for all of them. I think they will enjoy doing that every morning. Andrew will be going into a Dk program next fall. Going everyday/half day. He will be attending the same Christian school as Sophia. I know he is going to love it. Also since being home, Andrew has only gained 1 lb, but has grown 4 inches. He is like a little string bean. Lately I do see that he is having a harder time keeping up with Sophia and Daniel. He stops running and takes a break. I can see his little heart pounding and working that much harder. But our sweet boy does give it his all! ;) Many of you know that we are having Andrew's open heart surgery done in April. I will keep you updated on that as we get closer to that date. Andrew has been such a blessing to our family. He is so precious and sweet. I can hardly believe a year has already gone by. We love him to pieces and I thank the Lord everyday for giving our family this precious little boy from afar!






22 comments:
Steffie, I can feel your love for Andrea pouring through this post. He is a beautiful boy that was meant to be a part of your family. Somehow those pictures show what a lovely little personality he has.
Enjoy Maui!
Happy Easter.
Lea
xo
He is a little miracle and a dream come true. I am so happy for you my friend. He is going to bring you all so much joy over the years.
Steffie, I love your post and Andrew is an adorable little boy. Congrats on your one year!
Sherri
Continued blessings and congratulations on your one year anniversary. It seems just like yesterday I brought the girls with me to the airport to finally get a peek at your sweet Andrew. Hugs!!
What a precious post of a precious boy! He is simply adorable!!! I am hoping your vacation is completely magical. Praying your little one goes through the surgery with flying colors and he recovers quickly. You know I will be waiting to hear every detail as we wait for the same event in our lives one day. Happy one year and know I am praying God's richest blessings for your family!
Sharon
Steffie, He is a sweet, loving little boy and it's quite obvious he was meant to be in your family. A perfect match!
His eyes speak volumes and you see how much he loves you.
xo
Gail
What a wonderful post! Such a sweet boy and such a wonderful loving family!!!
He's the perfect addition to your family and such a special little guy. I can't believe it's only been a year! It seems like he's always been with you.
How happy! I can't believe your little man has been home a year! Will be praying about his surgery and his little heart.
Big Hug,
Daleea
Congratulations on 1 year together. I know just how fast that first year can go (and even faster after that).
Have a great vacation and know that Andrew will be in my prayer for his surgery later in April.
I look forward to hearing wonderful results.
:)
Andrew is truly a blessing for your family, Steffie! It is so hard to believe that he's been with you for a year!!!
We homeschool Anna for Kindergarten thru a Christian School that has a homeschool program. We love it! I think that you will enjoy it, too.:)
Have a great vacation and bring home the Sunshine.
take care.love, hollym.
We send our hugs and best wishes as you celebrate this special gift from afar! What a blessing to watch yours and his story unfold into something so beautiful! Miss you all!
Hi!
I have been meaning to delurk for sometime, but life kept getting busy. We know lot of the same people - my Sophia was an orphanage sister to Hope V (and Lauren and Elizabeth)that you know so well. I saw your posts way back on Story of You and when we traveled just after you I would check every now and then on your family. We brought home our second daughter from China last year just after you brough Andrew home - she too is a heart baby and had open heart surgery in August I think at the same hospital as you are going to with Andrew. Please email me with any questions or if you need anything - we were there for 14 nights and there were times that I really wished I could have called someone to bring me some creature comfort that I was lacking! Have a wonderful trip!
Deb B
beaulieud@sbcglobal.net
Steffie,
I can't believe a year has passed. Andrew has drawn people to him from day one. I remember the first picture I ever saw of him here on your blog. He just stole my heart and those amazing good looks of his do it every time I see him.
I can't believe how much he's grown. He is a very, very special little boy and I know just how much you love your little man!
Happy (almost) Anniversary, Andrew!
I can't believe it has been a year..
He is sooo amazing..
Love you my friend.. he has the best family around..
hugs..
He is such a handsome little man!!! Happy one year together:)
Happy one year!! Have fun remembering all of the wonderful events that happened over the next few days.
Wow, one year huh? That flew by.
Rosie used to get all out of puff chasing Lily around and would sweat so much especially in her sleep and when feeding. Not now though and soon your fabulous little man will be running with the best of them.
Hope you are enjoying the warm breezes, a few cocktails and lots of relaxation.
Beautiful Miss S. He is such a handsome little man and doing so wonderfully!!!! : ) I know you are having fun but I kind of miss you my smart a** friend...It will be 3 weeks by the time you get home since we spoke...what ever will I do..I will wait for you don't worry...I won't leave you in the dust...and could you post a few palm tree pictures please.
What a beautiful post. You can definitely SEE the love here. It's hard to believe that it's been a year already.
Praying for you, the fam, & sweet Andrew during surgery.
Blessings friend,
Charity
ps - we have our TA!!!!!!
Oh my word!! He's been here a whole YEAR?!!! That has most certainly flown by!! He is such a handsome little man!! ; )
Steffie, I can hardly believe it has been a year since he came home. I could relate to all of your words about him with my Emma. She is just know expressing her own individual feelings and not copying Lottie. And she is hitting back (finally)! We don't allow hitting but it happens, you can't control every move. But I am thankful for ANY expression of feelings she displays......okay.....well not all the time:)
He really is a handsome boy and God chose a very special family for him and we are praying for his upcoming surgery. Please keep us updated.
Post a Comment