Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tennis Anyone?

I was pleasantly surprised when Emmie decided to go for the tennis team rather than for the soccer team. She has played soccer since she was 5. Very aggressively and it was her passion. A few years ago she started playing tennis and since we have a tennis court she was able to fuss around a bit with our ball machine. She has natural ability in this sport which she gets from both sides of the family. I played in high school and started at a very young age, my uncle was a tennis player and her Dad's sister's both played in school as well. P3026029 P3026023
Before the season began, we took her to Orchard Hills Athletic Club for
a few private lessons. Her coach gave her some
great tips and it was a good learning experience. P3026039
Of course the Things had to come along and as you can see for an hour I had to chase
Thing 2 all over the club. He was in tennis ball heaven. Every
picture I took was blurry somewhere in it.
Thank goodness he cooperates most of the time. P3026048
Thing 1 was always quite good and would draw for just about the entire hour. Each week should would give her picture to the lady that ran the desk and each week we
came back it was still hanging up and Thing 1 thought that was so cool. ;) P3256128-1
Emmie also had the motivation to try out for the tennis team because the coach told her last year during the summer camp that he thought she could make Varsity as a Freshmen. Well, tryouts came and as he called up his 5 returning Seniors, he then called up Emmie.
She said that there were quite a few mouths that dropped open! lol At the end there were 18 girls wanting to try out for Varsity with only 12 spots available and only 1 or 2
needed for extra in case someone was sick. So the challenges began. Each day
Emmie came home and told me she didn't even have to challenge.
He put her with the top 3 girls and they drilled while all the other girls challenged.
I am just so proud of her. ;) P3256129-2
My thought was that she would probably play a doubles position. NOPE! The coach has her playing 4 Singles as a freshmen. I couldn't believe it. She already has been given the nickname "All Star" and I believe that is what the coach is grooming her
to be for the next 3 years.
There is a strong possibility that since the first 3
singles positions are seniors that she could be playing #1 Singles as a
sophmore next year. I see tennis camps this summer along with finding
a private instructor for her as well. She has found her place to shine and her
Father and I couldn't be more happier for her! ;) P3256131-1
Her record is currently 3-0. Her game score is 6-0, 6-0.....6-2, 6-2......6-0, 6-4. Her second game was the first home game. She was nervous so I stayed back and watched from a distance. When the score was 5-2 in the first set she became upset and walked up to the fence teary eyed and said "Where's Coach"? She said the her opponents parents were right behind the fence making snickering remarks. Oh yeah.....you all know what happened then don't you?????? lol SARABI appeared and marched her way right down the center aisle between those courts, heels just a clicking on the pavement, and big camera in hand. I think my claws appeared and I know my blonde mane started to expand! lol They tried to make small talk with me but I think my growl scared them. lol This is going to be a wonderful experience for me watching her grow in what was my favorite sport of all times! ;) I so proud of you Lulu......you are going to be awesome! ;) Love you....

25 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

And lesson #1 for all parents,don't mess with mama.
My but she must be good.Some day I;ll see her on TV and can say I know that girl.
BTW if I ever need someone to defend me may I call on you.I admire that you stand up for your kids and other things.I just let people walk over me.
Please pass on my congrats to the tennis player Miss Emmie.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Way to go Emmie......that is quite an accomplishment!! Looks like she is a natural:)

LOL about your heals clicking the pavement with camera in hand.....I could just imagine you. I would have acted the same way:)

Enjoy you Sunday!

Lisa

Musings from Kim K. said...

What an incredible accomplishment to make Varsity as a freshmen. I can see why you are so proud of Emmie. Way to go, GIRL!!

How are you doing with all your packing?

Love ya!!

Julia said...

This is so amazing Steffie, I know you couldn't be proud of your scholar and athlete, she sounds amazing! Now why didn't I know she was such a standout soccer player! I'm glad you mentioned her interest in tennis though, I keep promising to get L and M lessons each summer, and have never done it, I think I'll finally get this on my to do list this year!

Kim :) said...

WOW!! Congratulations to Emmie... no small feat to make varsity as a freshman!! Sarabi... I love the way you protect your young! ...and that you do it in heels! AWESOME! :)

Briana's Mom said...

You go Mama!! LOL! I love it!

Emmie is amazing! What a talented girl!

Kim said...

Way to go Emmie..
Sounds like she found her sport..
Have a great week...
I am sure you are busy with packing..
Can't wait to watch you in China..
Love ya girly..

my3 kids said...

Way to go Emmie...such a talented girl you are. Wow..we will be watching for you on TV someday:)

Unknown said...

Way to go Emmie! Keep Shining everything you do.
Donna

Diana said...

Good Job Emmie!!!
(and WTG mom:)

Gail said...

Wow Emmie!!! What an accomplishment, I know your family is so proud of you.

And Steffie I would have done the same thing...LOL.

Beautiful pics of your children, can't wait to see Andrew soon too. Have a great week, I imagine things are winding down...you're close to leaving soon!!!!

mommy24treasures said...

that is wonderful.:)
I know you are so proud of her.

Lucy said...

Way to go Emmie! Good for her! I'd be so proud too!
We had a tennis court growing up too and that ball machine. I had years of private lessons and it's a family joke to this day, I can't play! lol She's definitely a natural! What a great sport to watch too, you're going to have so much fun the next 4 years watching her play. :)
P.S. Love that you call her Lulu, my husband calls me that and I love it, so cute! ;)
Lucy

Michelle R Photography said...

Way to go, Emmie!! Go All Star!!

Jboo said...

Yay Emmie!! Both my sons played high school tennis and one won two state championships! The Hub is teaching M and signing her up for lessons. We love tennis -- it's both an individual and team sport in high school -- the best of both worlds. Have fun Emmie!!

Janet

Carla said...

Such amazing talent!! Steffie, your an AWESOME mama! I can't imagine you with much of growl, though ;-)

Carla

Gwen Oatsvall said...

go Emmie !!! love you girl

Stephanie said...

Oh I love when Mama Bear comes out!!! Great Job Emmie!!!!!!

Terri said...

You GO EMMA, congrats!!! What a HUGE accomplishment to make varsity as a freshman!!!

Also, you go Sarabi, love your stories they are great!!!

By the way best wishes again on your upcoming journey. I will be checking in each day!!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Awesome! I know you are proud and Emmie should be very proud of herself! I can't believe you are about to get on the airplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am praying praying praying for the little ones to be okay without you but I KNOW they will have SOOO much fun with their Aunt!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Whooo hooooo how awesome!!!!!! Oh how proud you are mama!!!Heck I'm proud and I'm just the blogger buddy!

And if you need a side kick we can take those parents on...I'm very good at it : )

Dita said...

Wow, that is really quite an accomplishment and I can see why you are so proud of your big girl!

I'm so excited that you are soon in China with Andrew! Oh, how is life is about to change!

Anonymous said...

How awesome Emmie!! I am sure you are one proud mommy!!! I just love watching my sons play sports!

One more week to go!!

Dawn

Keri said...

That is so great Emmie! I can't believe that about the parents. So low class.

Keri

3 Peanuts said...

Yeah...my computer did not crash this time::::)

Way to go Emmie! Hope the packing is going well and remember "love needs o translation!"

Hugs,
Kim