Friday, September 5, 2008

Update On Emmie

Update # 4
Emmie stayed home from school yesterday morning. She just could not lift her head off the pillow after having such a rough day and night the previous day. I checked her in by 10:00 because she wanted to go to her her volleyball game. After I dropped her off at school, I drove to the doctor's office to speak to her Ped. directly. I am so thankful that we have such a good relationship with her. Emmie has been put on a five day steroid treatment. MethyIPREDNISolone. So far, she has had no relief. Today will be day two. If I do not hear from the specialist by Thursday, I will call the doctor and let them know. Emmie keeps telling me that she thinks something is really wrong. That is the hardest part for me. We all know our bodies. Emmie is a very smart girl. So for her to tell me that, I believe it. Again, I am struggling this morning to get her up. She just holds her head. I do want to say thank you to all of you that have sent me emails or left comments. The info from many of you has been so helpful. Suggesting different med's or tests.....I really, really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me so at least I can go in with a list and ask some questions. I do have some cute pictures of Sophia's first day at preschool this week to share. I'll try and get that up by this weekend. Today is her second day. I'm sure many of you can guess how it went.......Miss Fia loves it. My little social butterfly. ;)
Hugs,
Steffie
Update # 3
We have had a very bad day here today. Emmie came home after school. Her coach took one look at her and gave her an excused absence from practice. She is miserable. We did get results back today. The CAT showed no issues with the brain, but it did show mild changes with her sinuses. We will be getting a call from a Sinus/Headache Specialist. In the meantime, I asked the nurse to get a message to Emmie's doctor that the Imitrex is not working. She has been in bed since she got home and keeps telling me something isn't right. I told her that migraines are h*ll, and that I understand that she feels like there is something terribly wrong. I just pray that it is really a migraine problem. I feel completely lost at what to do. Thank you so much for your constant concern and prayers.....she needs them and I tell her all the time how many people email me and ask how she is. I'll keep you posted. Currently, Sophia is in bed with her, rubbing her cheek and asking her if she is okay. It is the sweetest, most precious thing I have ever seen.
Hugs,
Steffie
So much for the sweetest thing....I went in Emmie's room to find that Sophia, in the darkened room, had found a dry erase marker....oh yes.... a black one......and she proceeded to draw all over Emmie's white end table, pink bed spread, bed skirt, brand new shorts, the wall, her VS bag and the kitty pillow. ~sigh~ I'm seeing another purchase from PB Teen happening this week. ~double sigh~
Update # 2
I'm not sure if the Imitrex is going to work for her or not. I gave her one before we went out last night. We ate dinner, and shortly after that she became very, very ill. She said she had not felt like this in a long time. Her whole body hurt, she felt like she was going to puke, her chest hurt and the slighest sound put her into pain. We got home as fast as we could and by 7PM, I had her back in bed. I kept looking at her in the car because she was so pale, but as long as her lips kept their color I knew she wasn't passing out. A few of you have given me other medication options and I am very, very thankful for that. I will be calling the doctor again on Monday and I have a feeling Emmie will be going in again. I pray that we get results from this test by early week. The poor girl is suppose to get an expander put into her mouth again on Monday as well....we may need to re-think this. I'm not sure how much more physical pain she can take.
Medication Update:
They have given Emmie Imitrex and Tylenol with Codeine until we have results back from her CAT Scan. She did say she got some relief from the first round. She said the pain was still there, just not quite as intense. This morning I gave her another dosage. It is 2:30 in the afternoon and she is still sleeping in bed. She was too ill to march in the the parade this morning. ~sigh~ This worries me. I'll be getting her up soon. We are taking her to the movies and dinner tonight.
P9013753
Emmie started High School this week and so far things have been good. Volleyball is going well, she had her first student council meeting and we hauled her in for her CAT Scan. That didn't go very well. I had kept the fact that they would need to put an IV in her because I knew that she would be a wreck all day long at school. I gave her a pill to calm her an hour before we left. When she realized that an IV was going to be done she went completely white, tears began to fill her eyes and that big bottom lip began to tremble. I knew she was scared. She buried her head in my shoulder as the nurse tried to get the needle in her arm with NO success. Emmie was crying, I had tears streaming down my face and then they decided to get the smallest needle they had and put it in the top of her hand. I thought she might physically get ill at this point......I felt horrible....once it was in her hand and taped down they moved her to the room to do the procedure. That took all of 5 minutes. I do not expect to hear results until next week. HOWEVER, the headaches have increasingly become worse over the last two weeks. I can tell every morning I wake her and after volleyball practice that she is just barely making it. I called her doctor today and asked for migraine medication. I will be going to get it today before I pick her up from practice. I don't know what they have called in yet, but I am just praying it will give her some relief. Here is the perfect example.....she gets home tonight and has less then an hour before she has to be back at the school to march for the game. No rest time at all. I know she is going to want to sleep at a friends house tonight and I am going to put my foot down and say NO....you are coming home after the game. Tomorrow morning she can't sleep in due to having to march in the Heritage Day parade for our town. ~sigh~ I just want my healthy girl back. Thank you for all the emails of concern and prayers sent up on her behalf. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.....
Hugs,
Steffie
And yesterday marks 17 months we have been waiting for Baby O.

68 comments:

LaLa said...

Thinking of you and sweet Emmie....I know this is so hard on all of you. Praying for results and a solution!!

Kim said...

I am with Emmie on the needles.... I am sooo scared of them... That is why I did natural with all 3 kids.. too scared...
I have been thinking and praying for Emmie.. she will be fine..
Sounds like you are doing the right thing.. she needs some rest.. these kids go , go ,go..
Hugs to you..
Sorry you have to go through this.. it will be over soon..
Happy 17 months..
Love ya girly..LOTS..

Shari U said...

I've been wondering about her since you hadn't posted an update yet. I am praying that you will get some answers and that Emmie will get some relief. God bless you.

Briana's Mom said...

I am definitely praying for Emmie. I hope you get some answers really soon.

my3 kids said...

I pray that Emmie's results come in quick. It's awful not knowing what is causing her headaches. I had migraines as a little girl and still do from time to time. It's an awful thing to live with but at least now they have meds to help. Our son who is 13 also suffers from headaches and we have had him checked out and were told his are caused by stress. Hmmmm he doesn't seem stressed to me...but maybe he just doesn't show it? Hoping and praying for good news.

Mr.Brian said...

Thanks for the update,I've been wondering what is happening.
I will keep praying for our dear Emmie.Please keep us updated on any news.
Hugs and more hugs,
Mr.Brian

The Byrd's Nest said...

Poor little thing. I will continue to pray that it is something very simple to fix and that the doctor's can know exactly what to do without anymore testing.
Big Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope they can nail down a diagnosis soon...or at least find a medication that will alleviate the head-aches.

Amie said...

I am sorry to hear about all that she is going through. I pray you have an answer to the cause of all her pain and a solution soon to give her some relief. She needs to get back to worry about being a kid(sorry, young woman. ;) ) and having fun!

praying!

:)
Amie

OH MY #6 said...

My goodness! I hope they get to the bottom of this soon. This has been a nightmare for this poor girl. Keep your chin up mommy.

Lea
xo

Musings from Kim K. said...

I've been thinking about you all week and hoping that you were getting closer to some answers on Emmie. Please know that I'm still praying for you both. Hang in there my friend. Hugs.

PS. I'm loving the new blog design too.

Gail said...

Oh Steffie, I feel so bad for Emmie and I know this is so difficult for you to go through too. Hoping you get a diagnosis soon and maybe the migraine medication will help her. You are right to insist that she gets some rest, that's the best thing for her. You are in my prayers friend.

XO Gail

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I have been thinking about you all week....checking in to see if you had any updates!

I am glad that they were able to do the test and hope that they don't wait too long to get back to you...I don't know how she is keeping up with that kind of schedule...she must be one tough cookie!

Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

PS...After all of that I almost forgot....Love the Blog look!!!

Lisa

Linette said...

Oh Steffie! I'm so sorry Emmie is still have terrible headaches. I know as a Mother you just want to make it all go away. Praying for her (and you)and that you'll have answers very soon.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I am thinking of you and Emmie. I hope the medication helps her some. Migraines are just horrible I truly feel for her ; ( Please let us know what they find.

day by day said...

Praying for Emmie to start feeling better and back to her old self! Also praying for the docs to figure out where the headaches are coming from.

Your new blog design is great...sure wish I could figure that stuff out.

have a great week-end!

Anonymous said...

Oh Steffie,

Oh my gosh. I feel so bad for you and Emmie. I hate to see my children hurt like nothing else in this world. How horrid this sounds for you as a mama...I am so sorry you both had to endure that. I am praying and will be checking back for the results. Hang in there.
I know you know, but Emmie is so beautiful!

D & S said...

I hope the c-scan gives you some answers. And tell that girl to take it easy!

Hugs to all of you.

~Amy~ said...

Oh poor, sweet girl...Tell Emmie that I love her and I'm praying for her! I hope the CAT comes back perfectly normal!

I saw David and Emmie at the football game last night! :) I was hoping that you were there also! hehe

Have a fabulous weekend my friend...

Kayce said...

Hugs Steffie! Keeping Emmie in my prayers.

redmaryjanes said...

Steffie,
I've been thinking about it and I wonder if it is stress induced. It seems to have gotten worse with her facing going back to school. Maybe something for anxiety would help.

Shawnstribe said...

Hugs Steffie, and more hugs.
You were a very brave Momma.
im praying for Emmie
xxx
s

kitchu said...

Wow Steffie, I 'm so sorry that Emmie is having to go through all of this. As a migraine sufferer myself (who has tried every drug on the planet and just started a new one 2 weeks ago) I know how tough this is on her. My niece who is 18 started getting them at around 13 and nothing worked except Fiorcet, so keep trying. Imitrex does not work for everyone. I think Relpax (same class of drug as Imitrex) is far better tolerated with fewer side effects (way less nausea). Frova, a much newer drug and also in the same class, is also very good. I hope she finds what works best for her and that she isn't in so much pain all the time. Please give her my best. Sorry I don't comment as much, I read in bloglines and have to switch servers to comment (otherwise firefox shuts down when I open your site for some reason).

God bless you guys!

Kim said...

So sorry to hear that Emmie has to go through this.. Thinking of you always..
Love ya girly..
Hugs..

PandaMom said...

Steffie, I am praying for peace in your heavy heart right now. Much love and care from afar.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Steffie- I have been taking imitrex for years and it works great for me but it doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes when you first start taking it you will feel like your heart is pounding (that is a normal feeling). There is something in the imitrex that will help with the nausea. Be careful with the codeine it can back fire. Codeine, vicodine and most pain meds give me a migraine. That is not uncommon. I hope Emmie continues to find relief. Poor baby.

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Thinking of you all, the tests and waiting for the results must be making you feel like a wreck.
Totally with Emmie on the IV thing, I remember going in for an operation and I passed out as they put the iv in my hand and then had to wake me up to knock me out!
ughh hate needles.

Shelly and Family said...

Oh My Gosh...what this poor girl is going through (along with you feeling so helpless...) My heart, thoughts, and prayers are so going out to you guys that you find out soon what is happening to Emmie and are able to take care of it.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the update...I've been wondering how Emmie has been doing. She is so lucky to have such a wonderful mom who is going to get to the bottom of this and find out what the heck is going on! Hopefully you'll have some answers soon!!! : )

Kim said...

So sorry to hear this..
Thinking of you always..
HUGS

sheryl said...

I am so sorry Emmie is still not feeling well. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with her and YOU!

Hugs,
Sheryl

mommy24treasures said...

Oh I will keep you in my prayers. I hate to hear she is in such pain.
I know this is scary. I pray you have peace and receive answers to help her.
I am with you that the dental might need to be postponed.

Love prayers and hugs
C

OH MY #6 said...

thinking of you.

Lea
xo

Anonymous said...

I was not able to take Imitrex for my migraines because of those same side affects. I am now taking Relpax and it is wonderful. Hope this information helps. We are praying.

Tiffany said...

Keeping your precious daughter in our prayers!!!!!!

Praise and Coffee said...

Praying for Emmie (and the whole famiy).

Hugs,
Sue

Shari U said...

I hope Emmie felt better yesterday and that today will be a good day. Thinking of you.....

Noemi said...

I am so sorry Emmie is going through all of this! I can't even imagine how you must feel! I don't think you should go ahead witht he expanders as this causes much pain.

Hope you get the results in soon! Keeping Emmie in my prayers!

PS Love the new look of the blog!

k1 said...

Steffi,

my sister, Truly Blessed's, oldest was having terrible migraines there for a while. I can't remember what they did to get them to stop, but she hasn't mentioned that he's had one in a while.

I *think* it was visits to a chiropractor that helped, but I am not sure.

Get with her and maybe she can fill you in.

In the meantime, Emmie is on my blog prayer list.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking, could they be stress-related? Emmie seems to have a lot on the go,and maybe she is getting stressed about life,starting high school, etc...My oldest is 17 and just started junior college and she was pretty stressed, and she is not usually a "stressed" type of person....Just a thought, but at least if the headaches are stress-related, you could get some help for them. ie.as well as taking meds for the headaches, you could do some stress-management coping strategies, maybe slow down with some of her activities, etc...

also, does she have any vision problems, could be related to that...does she have a lot of tension in her neck/shoulders, that could show that it is "stress-related"...just some ideas, I hope that she is feeling better soon!

Kim said...

Hope you found out some info today...
Been thinking of you my friend..
HUGS..

Kim said...

I am sooo sorry..
I hope the doctor calls soon and gets Emmie something for her migraine..I can't imagine how you are feeling...
Sophia is probably wondering why her big sis is sooo sick..
Sorry to hear about the black marker..
That is awful..
HUGS TO YOU..
Keep your chin up girly..
Thinking of you..
Keep us updated...

Julia said...

Oh my goodness Steffie, I absolutely can not imagine what you're going through! M was quite sick for awhile when she was in her 4's and it was impossible to know why things were happening to her - it was the worst feeling ever to not know what was going wrong and how to fix it! I pray the sinus/headache doctor will tell you what is wrong and best of all, give your family the answers you are seeking. Thanks so much for the updates, it allows us all to keep your family, and especially Emmie, in our thoughts and prayers. Sending Hugs...

Michelle R Photography said...

Steffie,

I have missed all of these updates on Emmie. I am SOOO sorry that she is going through this. Migraines are miserable. I am so glad to hear that the CAT scan showed no issues with her brain. A huge relief for you, I'm sure. But still more mystery... I will continue to keep Emmie in my prayers.

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Monday night and checking on on you guy's.
Glad the scan was clear, let's hope the doctors can find out what else it could be.

Hugs to you all.x

missy said...

Steffie,

I have really, REALLY bad migraines. They knock me out for days at a time. The only thing that helps mine is a med. called Fiorenal with codeine. When I take one I have to go to bed, because they do knock me out. I generally sleep it off and then wake feeling better.

Also, I had my sinus surgery and my headaches were lessened by 90 percent.

I am praying for your sweet girl and if you have any questions, email me at: missylemley@yahoo.com

Gwen Oatsvall said...

girl it is time those doctors had some answers ... could she do sinus surgery now if need be ??? you know I am praying and i am sure missing practice or school doesn't help her nerves .. i am glad to hear that school is going well ... i thought about getting her a t-shirt that said "IF YOU MESS W/ME THERE IS SOMEONE IN TN THAT WILL COME KICK YOUR A_S !!"

Would she wear that ... lol ... i love ya bunches and you know i am praying for baby O too !!!

Truly Blessed said...

My oldest son was plagued with migraines (really bad ones) for about two years. He missed a lot of school due to the severity of them.

We eventually discovered that he'd get them after vigorous physical exercise. We also cut out nitrates from his diet (including MSG), had him get evaluted by a chiropractor who didn't manipulate his neck vertebrae, but did do massage on it -- he also took Topomax for a year (the neurologist said Imitrex is good for those under 8 years old, but Topomax is better for those over 8).

One final thing, he had a huge cyst on his heel that had to be removed surgically, and many people have suggested that there might be a direct correlation between the foot and migraine headaches -- so how are Emmie's feet?

His last migraine was on Dec. 7, 07, and we are guardedly optimistic that they are over for good.

But, I agree that stress can bring them on, so if she can limit that, it may help.

So sorry you're going through this. I've been there, it sucks.

Mommy Spice said...

I just can't imagine what you all are going through. I"m so sorry she's having to endure this. Poor baby. Continued prayers over here.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Well, Sophia had good intentions to start out with! LOL

Steffie, I get terrible, terrible migrains. They make me want to throw up and lay in a dark room with absolutely no one touching me or any sound. My migraines are seasonal with my allergies. I know how terribly painful they are and I feel so bad for your Emmie. I am praying and praying and praying for her.

Nikki said...

Still praying for you all...especially Emmie (and of course sweet baby O)
XO

jennifer said...

Isn't that always the way - just when you talk about how sweet they are, they show the other side of themselves!! I am so sorry Emmie is having such trouble. Praise the Lord there was nothing on that scan!! That is really good news. Still praying for you and your sweet girl.

Cindy said...

Steffie,

I been so behind on blogging...how horrible to hear about Emme, I hope she will feel better soon, migraines are horrible and hopfully that is all it is.
Take care and PB teen and kids are having a great sale right now.
Cindy

my3 kids said...

Hi Steffi,

Is Emmie still fainting at all? I just ask as I was in a CPR course today and they were talking about the biggest cause of people fainting is that their heart goes into Arrhythmia which can cause a person to faint and that lot's of times it's overlooked by the Doc who is investigating. Might be worth asking him unless the fainting spells have stopped? Praying for Emmie to feel better real soon. Hugs Janice

Holly said...

I am so sorry to hear Emmie has been having such a tough time. Hope things get better soon and I will be keeping her and the rest of your family in my prayers.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I am so sorry {{{{hug}}}}} The imitrex will make your body hurt and can make your chest hurt. If it's not taking away the headache then this is not the med for her. I know that headaches can be so very scary. I am so so sorry {{{{hug}}}} Please keep us posted. And do watch the pain meds...then can cause a headache too. I know they do when I take them. I used to have to go to the ER for shots of Demerol. I hate that she has migraines. It just makes me so sad.

Gail said...

Still here and praying for your Emmie, sending a big hug too...

Gail

Keri said...

My son, who is soooo much like your Emmie, does better with Maxalt, than with Imitrex. He takes 10 mg and in an hour another 10 if needed. He also takes Topamax to prevent the headaches and this has helped a lot. He takes 100 mg every night before bed. You may want to ask your doctor to send her to a ped. cardiologist to get a tilt table test. She is the right age for the problem they would be testing for. If she has neuro cardiogenic syncope, it can make her pass out and it can make migraines much, much, more severe. My son had a positive tilt table and he was put on Flourinef for 2 years, (it usually only takes 1) and now he manages fine with extra water and salty snacks. He hasn't passed out in almost 2 years! The being terrified of needles goes along with neuro cardiogenic syncope too. They will sometimes pass out during blood draws. Basically it means that their blood pressure drops and their brain is supposed to send a signal to the heart to speed up and the brain instead sends the signal to slow-down and they pass-out, get pale, sometimes sweaty and often feel very fatigued. The blood pressure dropping causes the severe headaches in kids who are prone. This is a simple explanation of the problem, but, once my son was put on the meds, he felt like a new kid in about 2-3 weeks. It was like night and day. I hope you find your answer. My son had every single test run on him that they have run on your daughter including an MRI and an EEG. The tilt table is a clear yes or no and you will know as soon as it is over.

Shirley said...

Hi Steff..
I hope all is well..I have been following you every day checking on Emmie..Yes..I'm lazy on actually posting..but I do check your blog often!!
Keep us posted~

Terri said...

Oh, I am so sorry that she is getting no relief. I keep checking each day hoping you will update with better news. I am keeping you all in my prayers & hopefully soon she will feel better.

Take care,
Terri

Gail said...

Steffie, I would give the Prednisone a little more time to work. I'm a person that knows my body very well if I feel something is wrong, I know you believe Emmie and if she feels that way it's genuine. You're doing all the right things, keep asking questions of the doctors. I continue to pray for you all.

The Byrd's Nest said...

You must be just beside yourself with grief because you can't fix your baby girl. It makes a Mommy feel so helpless. Gail is right, give the medicine some to work and we will continue to hold Emmie up to our Heavenly Father!

Adele said...

Emmie has been at the top of my prayer list every day this week. I will continue to pray for her and your family. I can't imagine watching my child suffer like that. I am praying for you as well. Love in Christ, Adele

jennifer said...

Still praying.

Kim said...

Thinking of you always..
I can't wait to see the pictures of Sophia's first days of school..
I know she must be having the time of her life...
HUGS..

3 Peanuts said...

Steffie,

I am so sorry that I have not commented much but I can barely read your blog. Where the text is...the background is that brown paper and it is very hard for me to the the words. I have tried to re-load a few times and I think I am reading that Emmie is getting MIGRAINES! Poor girl. I get them too and the chiropractor has basically cured me of mine. I can literally walk in with one and walk out without it! He adjust the "upper cervical" It has been a LIFESAVER for me and drug free too.

Will has just started getting them here and they are triggered in him by lack of sleep, water and food or string smells (candles, perfumes,lotions). I would try to eliminate any scented things like that for Emmie and make sure she is on a very regular sleep routine. It has helped for Will. But will take him to a chiro once we find one here. They are so awful...you feel like you will die. Will gets extremely PALE and ashen looking.

Praying for you all.

Kim

Denise C said...

OH Steffie, I am so sorry sweet Emmie is still having so much trouble! Bless her heart....I have her name written on my prayer list and I do lift her in prayer each time the Father brings her to my thoughts...daily!
Sending big hugs and love to all of you!!!
~D