Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Time For An Intermission

Last July I was able to request from my agencies COP list for the first time. I sent in 3 different letters after I got the green light from my doctor. I was drawn to a little girl that would have fallen right in between Sophia and Daniel. Obviously, we were not matched. I was okay with this because I knew other's had been waiting so much longer, but it was hard. I waited to see on my agencies board if the one I was drawn to would be announced. She was, along with the other two, and deep down I knew I had to rejoice that they would soon be coming home to their forever families. Since then, my sw has forwarded me every list that has come out. I have asked for files off of every list and even some of the ones on the re-release. I also sent an email back to her saying if "so-in-so" is on the re -release, please let me know. They never are.....they are matched. Deep down I am happy that these children will soon come home to their forever familes. However, I am with "the agency" that changed the rules out of the blue and decided that until you are through the review room, you may not request during the first release. Only the re-release. I have tried to stay calm about this, and for the most part, I have. I have never been deeply drawn to one like I was last July. I have been researching needs and seeing what comes on these lists. Searching other countries and so on. So, it has now been a year that I can't request, because although I am logged in for nearly 15 months, I am sadly not through the review room yet. On June 17th, last week, the COP list came out again. I asked for 4 girls and 1 little boy. I began opening the emails. The last file to open was the little boys. He was only two MONTHS younger than Sophia. That night I could not stop thinking about him. On Wednesday morning, I opened all the file attachments for him. I wept.........terribly........this little boy fit our profile as a family, his background, everything. I began praying....crying....praying....crying and by Wednesday evening, I had decided that because he was older that perhaps not too many would request for him and the fact that he was a boy. I was going to request for him. Thursday morning I dropped off his medical info to my doctor. I got the green light, which I knew I would. I told very few friends and I asked them to pray for us and for this little boy. I received emails all weekend long.....yesterday and today.....thank you so much....you know who you are. Your encouragement and words were amazing!!!! I began thinking through my letter and wondered what my sw would think. On Friday afternoon, I sent a very vague note to my sw telling her she would get my letter Monday morning and I would wait to hear from her on Tuesday. (the date our agency said matches would be announced) Not 15 minutes later my phone is ringing and it is her. Fear of hearing her tell me "no" I let it ring 3 times before I decided to answer. She was confused and thought we had missed paper work or something. I told her my plan and paused............she said "Stefanie, tell me what is on your heart".....so I poured out my heart and soul and she told me to write the letter because of the child/age/boy. So I did......for the last seven days I have cried and prayed and have been nearly ill. I cried in church on Sunday....I went up to our church again today and prayed in our sanctuary....I prayed for strength.... for which ever way God intended it to be. I am exhausted from the lack of sleep and this fuzzy, cloudy feeling in my head. I got the call today, one hour after the match time was to begin. No match. She said that they did read my letter, but felt they needed to stay with review room rules. They gave him to some that had been logged in for 21 months. Needless to say, I was disappointed and my beautiful dreams shattered. I'm sure many of you are thinking "well, Steffie, you knew the rules".......but it is like I told my SW, if I didn't try......I think I would be disappointed in myself......I would always wonder. I was so drawn to this boy....but....as I have said.....I do rejoice in knowing that he has been placed with someone. The hardest part for me has been Emmie's reaction. She sobbed and sobbed and sobbed on the boat with me. I held her, kept calm as I tried to soothe her heart. She thought for sure we would be the family to bring him home. I think after the Chapman loss and her anger with that, this was just too much for her. She is very upset. For me personally.....this COP journey is far harder then waiting for a referral. I'm not sure even when I am through the review room.....and who knows when that will be.....that I can put myself and my family through this again. I will have to feel deeply drawn to a child once again.........so for now, I need to take a break. I am exhausted emotionally and physically. I have bags under my eyes and I am tired. This is not a pity party post.........I needed to let it out........and I just need to collect myself.........look at all my children and just be happy and move on. But I am sad........so very, very sad.

57 comments:

FHL said...

Oh Steffie...I know there really aren't words. But I'm sending a hug and praying for you and Emmie to be filled with peace.

Mr.Brian said...

Knowing there are no words this little (okay maybe not so little)Dutch boy can say to ease your pain, I will just send hugs and prayers.
When you are ready to come and hunt me down and tell me your plans for revenge,(i still look over my shoulder)I will be happy.
Until then please know so very many are praying for all of you and thinking of you.
So for now lots and lots of hugs.
Mr.Brian
Ohh what the heck here is a smooch on the cheek for you too.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. I wish I could climb through the screen and give you and your huge heart a great big hug.

OH MY #6 said...

I can't image what you must be going through. Its a loss and you need to treat yourself accordingly.

take care you.

Lea
x

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Steffie, I have prayed and prayed for you. I know there is nothing that I can say that will heal your heart. Please just know that I am here for you. I will always be here for you. if you ever just need to vent you know where to find me. I will continue to pray for you and for Emmie. {{{{hug}}}}

kitchu said...

Wow Stef, I can't imagine how hard this is and how much you guys are hurting. I will be praying for you and your family. Take all the time you need.

Juliette said...

Sorry...
Big ((((((Hugs)))))) to you all guys.

Linette said...

Oh Steffie...I'm so sorry! I so wish I could be there to give you a big hug and let you cry on my shoulder. I will be praying for you all as you digest this. My heart is breaking for you. :(
Hang in there, my friend.

Sophie's Mom said...

(((((hugs)))))

So sorry.

polkadot said...

Steffie - I don't want to give you false hope but I went through the same thing last year and the matched family ended up backing out, so the agency called and offered the child to me. I was so mad, because I had just accepted a referral for Bennett. So I could not take this little girl I had wanted, and named, and printed pictures of.

You know that Bennett is my heart. God knew what he was doing. But it sure didn't feel good at the time.

Hugs to you, old friend. Be strong.

Gail said...

I'm so very sorry Steffie. You are in my prayers.

Gail

Gwen Oatsvall said...

never apologize for being honest sweet friend ... that is one of your greatest attributes ... you are a loving mother ... this is suppose to hurt ...i pray God will heal you and Emmie ... You know you are loved here in TN ... Hope on a plane and we will cry together and then get drunk on chocolate !!!!

4D said...

I am sad to know that you are in pain...hugs!

Keep smilin!

Kim said...

I am lost for words...
I am sooo sorry.. I wish I could take your pain away..
You are soooo amazing.. just remember that I am here for you if you need a shoulder...
LOVE YA GIRLY..
HUGS...

Nikki said...

My heart breaks for you, Stef.
And, I was JUST thinking about you earlier today...we definitely need to plan a get-together...need to give you a big squeeze and spend some quality time.
Love you...and praying for you.

Denise C said...

You know how much I love you...and your precious heart! I wish I could take this sorrow away for you.
I am asking God to blanket you and Emmie in HIS perfect peace and to hold both of you so very close to Him. I am so, so sorry sweet friend.
Standing in the gap for you!!!
Love,
Denise

Unknown said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs to you.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Oh Steffie,
I'm sorry that you are hurting so bad. I'm so proud of you,tho. You were obedient to God's leading in your life even tho you knew the great risk of being hurt and broken.
Hold on Stef, enjoy your sweet babies as I know you do, keep rejoicing for others with the tender heart that God gave you. Your next sweet daughter or son is soon to come...hugs to you.
Love, Holly M.

Kayce said...

Steffie and family...you are all wrapped in my arms today and for however long you need to be held and hugged. You're in my prayers friend.

HUGS!!

Chantele said...

Your whole family is in my thoughts and prayers. I can't even imagine the emotions you all must be going thru.

Take as much time as you need.

Adoption Blog said...

Oh Steffie, I am so sorry to read in your post you and Emmie are suffering so much.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Saskia

Shelly and Family said...

Oh Steffie...I just don't know what to say...After reading your post and crying my eyes out too...I do know this, you are one very strong woman. I know that this time must be very hard for you and your family and you take all the time you need. If you need anything, and I mean ANYTHING...please let me know. You and your family will be in my heart, thoughts, and prayers.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

mommy24treasures said...

Steffie
I am just so sorry for your pain... for the hurt that this brings. Your beautiful passion is what is going to make you the perfect mother for the child God has planned for you. I know sometimes its so hard to understand why we go through things like this when we thought for sure we were on the right path.I do know that there is a child and as He formed their parts He thought of you and your beautiful family and knew that is where this child would fit perfectly.
Sending lots of love and prayers the next few weeks,
Love Connie

Dannye said...

oh steffie, I am so very sorry, what an emotional roller coaster, how very hard to do....I am sending you big hugs across the many miles (and Emmie too)...

LaLa said...

I am so sorry you are all hurting. This "new" ride in China adoption is so hard to understand. I know our journeys previously were so much easier. I just know God has something wonderful planned for you :)

I got this from a friend via email and wanted to share it with you~

When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence.....
'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'


{{HUGS}} sweet friend!

Jewels of My Heart said...

Dear Steffie, my heart hurts for you and your precious family. You know you are in my prayers... I am very thankful that the precious little boy had the prayers of your family and all who were praying for you. I am certain the hand of Jesus moved and placed him with the family He had chosen for him.
For your broken and discouraged hearts I am so sorry...... I long for, look forward to, and pray for the day when He gives you beauty for ashes and the oil of joy for mourning..... the day your Mother's heart once again falls in love and this time it will be with YOUR child.... not just a little one who needs your love and prayers for them to come safely home to their forever families.... but the child that God has ordained for your family.......
In that moment you will be able to thank Him with all your heart for the heartaches, the dissapointments, the overwhelming wait...... because once again He will prove to you and all of us that His timing is perfect... and His grace is sufficient for the day.....
Please know we are here for you.... if you need to go out to that lake and scream and cry and even kick at the air..... in that place of brokeness you will find the Father's arms wrapped gently around you.... holding you and speaking softly to you.... "It's ok, my child, I have a plan for you... to give you a future and a hope. Do not be afraid, I will gather your children from the East. I know who your little one is and I am faithful... At the exact moment YOUR child is on the list I will make it all come together and not even the winds of hell will keep your child from you."
God's Speed my friend

Debra said...

Dear Steffie,
God will bring you your child when He wills it. I am single and by the Grace of God I have two precious daughters that were born in China. I missed the single cut off when trying to get my second daughter and thought that all was lost. Well, God is so good. Mourning the daughter I wanted so badly I tried to move on. One day while walking around Cracker Barrell with my first precious child my cell phone rang. It was my agency. I was shocked to say the least. They had a single drop out and asked if I was still interested in another child. It was a miracle and certainly God-sent. It will happen for you too. Enjoy each moment with your family you have now and let God do the rest.
Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.
I'm proof that God will provide.
Many hugs and blessings to you,
Debra
Mama to Prudence and PeiLi

kerri said...

I am so sorry your hurting, hugs going out to you and your family.
My heart was hurting for Emmie, stay strong as a family and your faith will pull you through.
I know in my heart there is a child that is meant for your family, all this pain will fade away with the joy of bringing he or she home.
Hugs my friend..

RamblingMother said...

{{hugs}} to you. One day may you come to understand why you have gone through this and let that knowledge bless you!!

Diana said...

I am sitting here in tears for you. It is amazing how you become "friends" with someone through a blog and how your heart breaks for them..I AM SORRY!!!
I am praying for you and your family and your future son or daughter. Our youngest was through the agency you are with but mine are from Korea.
I am sorry for what you are going through.
Hugs
Diana

Michelle R Photography said...

Hi Steffie,
I am sorry to hear that you and Emmie are hurting. I am sending you hugs from Ohio and praying for comfort for you both as you wait for God's plan to be revealed.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your sorrow. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Get some rest, take a break and definitely enjoy your BEAUTIFUL family.

Noemi said...

I can't even imagine what you and your family are going through right now. There are no words to say that can mend your heart and comfort your soul.

Please take the time that you so need, but always remember that we will be here when you come back.

Hugs,
Noemi

Anonymous said...

Steffie,

I am so sorry for what has happened. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care of yourself and your family.

Dawn D.

Anonymous said...

Steffie, I am so sorry that things are going this way. I am so thankful for the blog community. I, too, have applied for many waiting children only to not get them. It's so hard because you look at their picture and their birthdate and you start to see them IN your family and then the bubble bursts.

Thank goodness for blogs where you can share this with people who are going through the same things. When I try to talk about it to people outside of adoption, they don't understand as well.

It does feel like such a tough roller coaster - made that much more painful by the L-O-N-G wait.

My five year old walked into the living room this morning and said, "I'm going to see if sister is here." (We just did our HS update.) It touched me because he was so sweet and so anxious, but at the same time it was heartbreaking because it will be many, many more months.

Take as much time as you need to reflect and recharge. Know that we are here. Hoping for you and praying for you.

Adrienne in TX, LID 4-20-07

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Steffie,

I am so sorry. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. God is good and knows what you need. Go to Him, He is the Great Comforter. May you be blessed with His strength. In the mean time, know that your friends care.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh Steffie....I wish I would have known. I am praying for you my dear friend.

God in Heaven, please lay your hands on this most precious family and give them peace. Give them the strength they need to wait for the child that you have chosen for them. Help to heal Steffie's broken heart and those of her family. It is so hard to wait when you know you have a child somewhere waiting for you. We know that you have an amazing journey waiting for this family and we all will be there for them and support them and pray for them. Thank you God for adopting us and thank you for teaching us about adoption by bringing us into your family. In your Sons most precious name. Amen

I love you Steff!

Busy Mama said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said!?!? But, dear friend, I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!! Crying the same tears - only wish I could give you a big hug - know that I am praying - I know God's plan is good, sometimes I just wish I knew what the plan was! Love you!

Kim :) said...

Steffie... my heart breaks for you and your family. You have so very much love to give and God will send you the perfect baby in His time. I know how hard this is... we have poured over lists for waiting children and prayed for the referrals to speed up as we continue to wait for our daughter. Thank you for sharing your story - you will never realize how much you help me!!

Ashley Winters said...

Steffie,

I too will be praying for you. May God give you strength during this time.

Gail said...

Steffie you've been on my mind so much today with all that's happened to you as you wrote in this post. I don't have great words of wisdom, but I do know that God has a plan for you and your family. I believe you know that. Again I'm so sorry. I wish you God's peace.

PandaMom said...

I will certainly pray for you, friend. I honestly feel your pain. I found a little boy on our old agencies waiting child list. He had Albinism. I thought he was perfect for us. Absolutely perfect. However, we don't even meet the new China criteria for going back. Guess I shouldn't have even looked at the pics. Anyway, my heart was/is broken that I just know we'd be the perfect family for him, but there is NO chance of it even happening. Someone has put his file under review and I had those same feelings of wanting him to be with his forever family while knowing that I wanted him so badly. Anyway, you KNOW the Lord is holding you so closely to His heart right now and He has the answer and will give it to you in His time. Blessings on you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steffie,

Wasn't gonna post...but, then well the Spirit is movin' me:)!!!

I am sorry you are sad and I understand the sadness...but...I'm hear to share as a Mama who has gone through the fire, that you and your family will come out Shining!!! God has your heart and I love, love, love that He is singing over you!!! He loves you guys...well, all of us:), so MUCH!!! He has it under control for the Beckerings!! Trust Him on this one!!! Walking through the fire is half of the journey.

The other half, well, let me tell you for me, she is sleeping upstairs. My daughter Jadyn, I'd never have predicted the Miracle of her and her journey to our family. Truly, truly, truly...God orchestrated!!!

So, easy for me to say this, but, Steffie be patient and persevere...hunker down for the long haul. You will one day sit back and just smile at the Miracle God has in store for the Beckering Tribe!!!!

Big HUGS and confident :):):)
Diane...Mama to Joe, Jen, Jana Mei, Jadyn Hua and JOY Hua

Teresa said...

God knows your tender mommy heart and hears your cries. His plan for your life will be revealed. May He grant you peace until He brings your child to you. He is preparing the path for your family Steffie.
God bless you and Emmie as your hearts aches. I pray you feel the love of all of us extended to you.

Michelle said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That must be so very hard. You'll be in my thoughts.

lora said...

Praying for you today....I promise.
lora

Andie said...

Steffie, Know that you are in my prayers. My hubby isn't "there" with adoptions, and I have also fallen in love with two little Chinese boys. Both of whom were on WC lists. Both were deaf. Both captured my heart and mind for a long time. I still pray for them. I pray their forever families came forward to love them. I pray that they know of the love of Jesus. I pray someone loves them and kisses them goodnight, tucks them in, and prays for them. My heart breaks because I am not that person, but I pray they are loved.
I know how it feels (I know you're not supposed to say this, but I think I do...). I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Blessings-Andie

Kim said...

Thinking of you always...
LOVE YA GIRLY..
HUGS..
Wish I lived closer to give ya a BIG HUG..

Michelle said...

I have re-typed three different responses trying to say something and nothing is coming out right. Love the quote that Laura left...Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you.

redmaryjanes said...

I am sorry my friend. We have to keep going though. There are 2 children depending on us to move forward. We are strong enough.

D & S said...

It's so sad that something is suppose to be happy has become such a heartache for so many people. Hugs to all of you.

Terri said...

Steffie, I am so sorry & my heart aches for you. I am sending a big hug your way & I will continue to keep your family in my prayers. You are such an inspiration to us all & there is one special child out there that is going to have such a wonderful mother to hold them & take care of them like you always do!!!

Take care,
Terri

Mommy Spice said...

I haven't been around blog land in a while, but while reading your post, I felt as though I was going through the roller coaster of emotions. I was waiting to read that he was yours, and felt the stab that he was not. I know as you do, God has a plan for his life, and for your child's. I can't wait to see this perfectly planned child that comes in to your life.

Sheri said...

Steffie,

I, too, lost out on a couple of waiting children I had my heart set on... it was utterly devastating and the scars remain to this day. My best advice to you: STAY OFF THE COP LIST. STAY AWAY FROM WC PHOTO LISTINGS/PROFILES COMPLETELY. Do not even LOOK at the children there until the 2nd go 'round... or until you are thru the Review Room. The heartbreak and depression impact not just you, but also your whole family - and there is not one single thing you can do about it to make it faster/better - rules is rules. Let your agency work FOR you, when you qualify under their rules. Let go, and Let God. The Call will come sooner than you think - and all this will fade into a distant memory, when you hold your new child in your arms. Blessings!

Sheri

Yoli said...

Sweet Steffie, you who always have a kind word for everyone, let us envelop you in our positive thoughts. Your child will show up. I have gone through 2 SN adoptions. I have lost children that I thought, FOR SURE, where destined to be with me. Only to find at the end of my tears and pain the children that were destined to be mine. Hang in there girl, he or she, is coming.

Kim said...

Miss ya...
Love ya...
HUGS...

Colleen said...

Stef.....big hug. There are no words. Your friends are here for you.