I thought the day was going to be like every other day. My alarm going off at 5:30AM, followed by the first slam on the snooze, getting up 9 minutes later, to stumble out of my bed, looking for my slippers and creeping down the stairs in total darkness as to not wake up Thing 2. I always go directly to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Oh boy, do I need that coffee. I suck down a few swallows and head over to my computer. You see, a fellow blogger posted HER CHRISTMAS CARD on her blog and it was pretty darn cute. So of coarse I emailed her about it. She used Shutterfly. Mind you I had already picked up my two selections the day before....wasn't happy with either.....imagine that! lol Soooooooooooo.......I used Shutterfly and re-did them ( they are ok, got them today, mailing them out in the next 2-3 days) and got hooked on creating an album as well. That is what I have been doing the last 3 days. Fussing with 288 pictures. WHEW! Anyhoo.....as I am creating my latest masterpiece online (snort) I see the cat running around the living room out of the corner of my eye. I remembered the cute little cat toys that we picked up for him a few days before. HOWEVER.......I stuck one of the little toys in the drawer with the cat nip/noise maker in it once I saw Thing 2 show some interest in it. Hmmmmm......I thought as I heard squeaky sounds, Emmie must have got it back out. Hmmmmm as the horror sets in that it is NOT the new cat toy but a real mouse instead. I whip around in my computer chair, nearly falling out of it (now there's a sight for you) to see that the MOUSE is right behind me laying on the Christmas Tree skirt. First thing I think of is getting the cat AWAY from it in case it has some sick disease......I wouldn't want my precious Sasha to get sick.....but too late....either he did wound it pretty good or it was playing dead......as it lay there squeaking under my tree. YUCK! So I run to get a bucket to throw over it.......(mind you I really am wanting to run upstairs and scream at Mufasa to get out of bed but I didn't)..........and then run to find a shovel of some sort to scoop it up in. My biggest fear was that when I had to lift the bucket that he would take off like Speedy Gonzales! Thank goodness he didn't and I threw him out in the snow! THAT is how I started my day
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
First Call to 911
~ SIGH ~
I load Thing 1 and Thing 2 up in the car around 2:30 to go pick Emmie up from school. It is a rainy cold day here today. Not fun in my opinion when you have to load two Things in and out of the Mama Machine. We pick Em up and she says she's not feeling the best. Great I say to myself.....please NOT the Flu again this Christmas! So I get Thing 1 out of the car, carry her in, otherwise she would jump in every puddle possible, head back out to get Thing 2, pass Thing Teen on my way in who nails me in the thigh with her book back which killed, go to get Thing 2 out and his door is locked. Try Thing Teens door.....locked...run around the Mama Machine to get in my door.....locked.....and so are the rest. By this point......I have already lost complete control of myself. You see, I can't be sure that I have really ever seen an extra set of keys for the Mama Machine. I think Mufasa has them, or that they could be in 3 places inside the house where we keep keys. I am sobbing as I run down the hallway into the kitchen, Thing 1 looks at me and begins to get very upset......I yell upstairs to Thing Teen to call Mufasa and I proceed to rip three different drawers apart in three different rooms of the house looking for an extra set of keys. Mind you, I'm not quite sure why I have become so hysterical to the point of hardly being able to breathe. Perhaps it was because Thing 2 is the one locked in the car.....the one that at any given moment can become extremely upset.......and I can't get to him. I have never been so freaked out to "really" nearly vomiting and passing out all at once. Thing Teen is talking on the phone to Mufasa and he is telling her another place to look for keys. She is looking at me like "Who are you, and what have you done with my Mother who is usually very well put together"? I run over and rip the phone out of her hands and Mufasa can't understand a word I am saying. He promises to call me right back and that everything would be ok. I'm still hysterical and I run back outside into the sleeting rain, with the house phone in my pocket, (my purse and cell phone are in the car as well) and stand outside the van and try to talk to Thing 2 though the window. Thing Teen found more keys and was trying them in the locks, and Thing 1 was screaming for Sissy from the house! ( I know people......I know) 1o minutes has gone buy and while Thing 2 is doing quite well considering the car is off so there is no video to watch, I am becoming more freaked out as the time passes. I run back into the house, call Mufasa again, search for keys again, yell at Thing Teen to please stay by Thing 2 and then it dawns on me to call 911. Mufasa says not to, everything is under control, they are working on it and he will call me right back. I run back out to the driveway, tell Thing Teen to please go back into the house to Thing 1 who is totally upset now and I am standing there under an umbrella trying to calm Thing 2 down who is now starting to cry as well. 15 minutes have gone by and I decide to call 911. I have never done this before.......the guys say "hello this is 911 how can I assist you?" I rattle off my address, (gasp) telling him I locked my keys in the car (gasp) and that my baby is locked in the car. (major gasping) Of coarse I get the "calm down , it's going to be alright".......just like on TV. We talk through it and he calls a Wrecker for me........you see....things like this don't happen to me....I didn't even know what wrecker service to call........mean time Thing 2 is very upset......I'm singing his song to him......who can remember....c'mon....anyone that has been following my blog knows! lol The Song.........You Are My Sunshine.......he calms down and we play peek-a-boo......Mufasa calls back and say he has a wrecker on the way as well. It is now 3:30.....I tell myself I will give them until 4PM.....and if no one is here by then, I will smash out the passenger side window. 3:35....the tow truck is heading down our road......I am a walking freak show at this point.....VS hood up over my head looking quite Gangster, all make up is long gone......huge red puffy eyes......my hands are shaking to the point that I can hardly hold the umbrella........45 seconds.....he pops the lock.....I throw the umbrella across the driveway....open Thing 2's door and unbuckle that boy faster than I ever have before in my life. He lays his little head down on my shoulder and I close my eyes and tell myself this will never, ever happen again. Guess you know what I'm doing tomorrow......copying keys and giving one to all my friends!
~ Sigh ~
I'm going to bed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





49 comments:
Steffie, I am so sorry you went through something this awful. I cannot imagine how frantic you must have been. So glad all is well again. I was reading so fast cos I needed to know the end! I think I held my breathe the whole way through.
oh my goodness! I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad everything turned out okay though. Sounds like you had a very eventful day.
Did they take the on star out when they converted the mama machine from ordinary to pimped?! That thing should show up like a small country from the sattelites in space!
ohhhh, big hugs to you mama...hope tomorrow brings happiness and sunshine.
oh and I have sat and made those albums too, it can take FOREVER to organize that stuff!
I can never make my mind up about a card either, someone elses always looks like a better idea huh? grass is always greener/:)
sweet dreams...
Oh Stef...this happended to me about 3 summers ago. I was nannying for a family and I went into the garage to get a pop. The little girl was in her highchair and I thought the door was wide open behind me. It swung shut and I was locked out....I FREAKED OUT! I ended up calling 911 also because I couldn't get ahold of the parents. Lets just say...I will NEVER do that again either!
I feel your pain sista! See you soon! ;)
Hope you are sleeping well!
ohhh steffie.
i am sooo sorry.
i read first call to 911.
and im thinking.
oh no.
lol.
oh wow.
steffie your such a great mommy.
=]
love kenzie
Oh my goodness, what a day!!! I sure hope tomorrow will be better!!
Oh no! What a scary day! When I was a baby, my mom did the same thing - locked me in the car by mistake. She was freaking out, but luckily I slept through the whole thing.
I am going to look for an extra set of car keys right now!
I HAVE BEEN TERRIBLY SCARED OF MICE ALL MY 56 YEARS. I know it is an irrational fear. Goodness, we are 1000 times bigger than they are-but------they are faster and can get into smaller places and chew things up and carry germs---see, I'm scaring my self all over! LOL And you have cats? They better get to work! As long as they have their shots, they should be okay.
What a bummer-locking your keys in the car. And with your precious cargo inside! Thank goodness you were able to stay there so he wouldn't panic( like we grown women are prone to do). I'm sure I wouldn't react any faster or better. We teach the kids all about 911 and I've never used it myself. Hope I never need to. Glad verything worked out and everyone is safe.....
A mouse!? EEEK! I can't believe you didn't wake Mufasa...I couldn't have handled that one alone. I guess you should've known what kind of day you were gonna have.
I'm sorry you had such a scare with Daniel being locked in the van, but I kept thinking it was a good thing it happened at home and not at the mall or another strange place. Glad everything worked out in the end - although it sounds like it was pretty nightmarish to endure.
Big hugs to you! (Hey! just another reason for that gated community, right!?)
reading this I can laught about it.. but for sure you must have been upset!!! Take a deep breath tomrrow will start off better.. or at least different???? Merry Christmas
Sorry you had such a rough day ~ YUCK on the mouse and yeah, kitty needs to get to work LOL We have a Sasha too but she is a dog : )
Glad Daniel is ok and I hope you are calmed down. I know I would have freaked too ....
I locked my 9 month old in the car once when i bent down to pick up his toy that had fallen out of the car and the door locked and SHUT behind me. I had already unbuckled him so he was teetering on the edge of his car seat ready to fall on his face. My purse (with my keys) sat on the back seat next to him. It was the middle of July and 90+ degrees. I ran around frantic (in the Costco parking lot) telling anyone I saw that I just locked my baby in the car. Suddenly i remembered that my Husband had put a magnetic hide-a-key under the bumper somewhere. I crawled under the car and found it, thank God, or I was seconds away from breaking the window in. I never really considered calling 911. I was thinking "it's mere minutes until it's too hot in there and He is going to suffocate". I totally feel your Pain Stef. Been there. Done that. it sucked.
Oh my word Stef, you have had a day. I am so glad that everything turned out okay. You remind me so much of myself, it is scary. You and I would totally be friends if we lived closer. You make me feel normal with all of the things that go on in your life. You have a such a gift of writing. I felt like I was there. Didn't really want to be there for the cat/mouse situation though. HAHA.
Did you get my reply to your email?
sounds like you should'a went back to bed and started that whole awful day over again....so is it a do-over day??? you were so very brave...and did handle it quite well...so kudos to you!!
OH dear!
Yes....yes I am! :) I still can't beleive this rock on my finger! Plus having 5 finals this week, isn't helping!! I'm done tomorrow at 1pm....PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!
Goodness gracious. I hope you helped yourself to some chocolate or a special drink after all that stress. (((virtual hugs)))
Love,
Kim K.
I completely understand your emotions. I had the same thing happen to me in a Vallet parking in a packed Mall on Christmas time. It was little Luis, the car was off and it was 90 degrees outside (Puerto Rico). My Mom was with me. I called my hubby histerical crying and he has the spare keys in his key chain and he was 1 hour away! The Mall police came and tried to pop the lock for over 1/2 hour and couldn't. I told them to break one of the windows! When they were about to do it, the police on the other side poped the lock. It was such a relief, I grabbed him and promise myself that this would never happen again! It hasn't! By the time I got my boy our there were over 100 people around the car. The traffic was completly stopped. When I took my boy out EVERYONE was clapping! My Mom gave all the police hugs and kisses.
That is one of my nightmares - locking my child in the car! Sounds like you handled it quite well considering everything. Oh and the mouse experience sounds very much like one of my mornings a couple of years back with our cat and a very large gopher in my living room. Yuck!
What a day! You poor thing ... I would have been a mess too ... especially with my baby locked in the car. Here's to a much better day today!
After yesterday, I hope you have added a little something extra to your coffee this morning.
The mouse would have caused me to require medication. Seriously!!!
We have services that pop your lock free if a child is in the car. Fortunately, I have not had to use them for that, YET!
Hope Wednesday is nicer to you, and Teen Thing is feeling better.
Oh girl! I hate when I do that (locking keys in the car), which is often! My dh finally got me a car with On* and it's much better now! Hope today is better and Emmie isn't sick.
Oh my, what a day! I definitely would have woken up Mufasa for the mouse "situation"!
I am so sorry! It sounds like something that would happen to me. If the Mama machine has on-star you can call them and they can unlock your door from SPACE.... Very Buck Rogers! I need to have keys made too. Also for the house... Hannah keeps locking me out when I step out for a minute. Thank goodness Nicholas is there to let me back in.
poor little mouse....
Oh, I am sorry you had such a stressful day yesterday! I was laughing about the bucket over the mouse, because that is what I do with any bug or creature thing that I do not want to deal with. However, I am prone to leaving it there(with books stacked on top) until dh comes home, so he can deal with it. : )
I have never worried about locking my kids in the car until recently. I have 2 little ones the same age now and it is a production getting them in/out of the car. I often do it one at a time also to avoid...well, many things! More than once my teens almost locked one of the little ones in the car with my pocketbook in there as well. Thankfully some kind of safety kicked in and did not allow the door to lock. I hid a spare door key underneath the car in one of those magnetic boxes. It is a big reassurance for me.
Okay.. the mouse is bad enough, but to have to go through the keys locked in the car... That is awful...
I am sooo sorry..
Hope today is better..
Hugs to you girly..
My brother did that once when he was his age but we were out of town and it was 95 degrees out. Luckly when he locked he did not shut the door all the way because if he did we would have had to brake the window!
Whew! I am glad everyone is ok! Sounds like a good day for a long, hot bath and some chocolate! ;o)
Well shazamm! Golly you poor dear that had to be very stressful fo you.
I was wondering too about on star do you not have that on the mama machine?
Glad thing 2 survived ok.I am sure he was less upset then his mom was.
Mr.Brian is sending three big higs to make you all bettter.
Hugs,Hugs,HUGS!!!!!
Mr.Brian
Hope you had a Great Day...
Do you have my address for Christmas card??Another question for you... Do you have any quilt squares left? I would love for you to be part of Isabella's quilt..
Hugs to you girly
Sorry that was me.. I hit the button twice..
My goodness that is one bad day! Tomorrow almost has to be better. Glad Thing 2 is okay. My cat also found a mouse a couple years ago, but he brought it to me (not quite dead yet). The bad part was that I was asleep when he jumped in bed to bring it to me!!!!
I love the Christmas pictures of Thing 1.
Stacey
LID 8-8-06
wwww.babyjellybeans.com
child's name - Jadalyn Cashion
ok i am out of breath just reading that .. i am sure it was very scary ...i am key freak also ...ck them twice every time i get out of the car ...i am glad everything turned out ok ... i definitely want a christmas card ... mine will be out around valentine's day ... hee hee
oh honey, I lock em in on purpose all da time.
Ahhh, I see the crazy one locks the kids in the car. That's where I get my solitude! lol... We all have our vices.
Steffie,
I sent you an email ... I was wondering if you received it?
Michelle
Wow what a frantic crazy day! I'm just exhausted reading it. Hope you are having better days!
I'm so sorry that you had a day like that. How scarey. It sounds like it was harder on you than Daniel though. Thank goodness everything worked out just fine.
Oh my goodness.... you poor mama.
That would make many a mom hysterical... including me.
oh my gosh I have tears reading what you went through. How scary : ( I'm happy that your little guy is safe and sound. hug's to you Mommy, what a day you had.
BIG ((HUGS)) to you!!
Just what I needed to day ... someone who made my life look easy :)!!!
You poor dear mama. Glad to hear all is well. My gramma always had a house key safety pinned to her bra!! I thought it was wierd....not so much anymore!
Sorry to hear about the terrible ordeal. I'm glad that Daniel cannot get out of his car seat by himself or you would really be freaking. Gabrielle is testing me these days and has scared me a few times getting behind the wheel, so emergency break is always on and I don't leave keys in the car anymore so she can watch the last part of her video even though the engine is off.
Good luck with the wrapping. It is my least favorite job and I always seem to manage the entire pile by myself (including some of my own gifts). One year I hired a babysitter and asked her to wrap presents when Gabrielle went down for her nap. Naps, now those were the days!
Steffie,
What an awful day! Hope you took a long hot bath and had a glass of wine before bed:)
Kim
I need to blog more often - I TOTALLY missed this post this week!! I am SO sorry - what a bummer of a day! I am glad that all turned out well though - but hey, it's ok to panic too - those are "The Things" you are talking about!!!!
You poor thing!! I read this the other day, but just realized I didn't comment. I was with a friend when she did the exact same thing (we were shopping) and her little boy still jokes with her and says "Remember when the firemen had to come rescue me?" :)
Big hugs to you!!
Post a Comment