Saturday, March 10, 2007

Can you hear me now?

I wanted to share this with my travel mates and with those that will be traveling to China soon to bring home their precious babies. I was told when we had Sophia examined that she had quite a bit of wax in her ears. The doctor did not feel it was necessary to do anything because she could still see through to the ear drum. I was never really worried about her language skills because I knew it would come in time and it was very obvious that Sophia understood everything we were saying to her. Well, I decided this past fall to put ear drops in her ears to see if anything would come out. In one weeks time, her language just took off to a whole new level. We were amazed. I also found it interesting that Sophia would remind me at night to put "drops in ears." I asked her if she could hear Mommy better and she said yes. Well, last week I took her in to have the doctor clean out her ears. She did great. She sat there on my lap, didn't cry or get upset and even let them scrape some out of both ears as well. Her language is INCREDIBLE again in one weeks time. Everything she is saying clear. So.....if any of you feel that your girls should be talking better by this point, I would consider doing this. I am just amazed ......

16 comments:

Jewels of My Heart said...

That is so interesting. Hannah is only 16 months but is only saying a couple of words... not pronounced very well. She does seem to understand most of what we say to her though. The Dr said her ears looked much better since I started putting peroxide in her ears like he said but I haven't seen much come out. what kind of drops did you use?
Glad you discovered the problem, poor little thing.
God's Speed
Daleea

Anonymous said...

It's so funny that you just posted this--my new nephew just came home from Korea this week, and my sister-in-law was worried he had an ear infection. Turns out, no infection but lots of wax! They are using drops right now to loosen things up.

Mr.Brian said...

Hmmmm will this work for me too or is mine "OLD AGE".
If I were married I could say it is selective hearing.

Elizabeth said...

Intersting to hear things like this from those who have BTDT. BTW, I love your music, is it Chinese? I am interested to know.

redmaryjanes said...

I am glad that it has helped her so much. It must be making a big difference or she wouldn't be reminding you to put the drops in. What a big girl to sit still for the doctor.

Liz and Ava said...

Thanks for the tip...Ava will very likely need tubes in her ears...as most with cleft lip/palate do...but that would be good to add to my medication list to bring to china...help clear out some of that wax before we have to get on the plane and maybe lessen the pressure she will feel in them.
I also love the music on your blog...was quiet at work last night...only had one pt in recovery room so I pulled up your blog....the music came on and my patient said, "are we in China?", he's a confused little old fellow...but was right on the money last night! Do you know if you can get a CD of that music and if so what it is called...I'd love to get a copy...find it very soothing and relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Caroline has her doctor appt this month. I think I will have him check her ears.

One of the babies in our travel group had wax in her ears at the exam in GZ. They said it wasn't anything to worry about, but on the flight home that baby screamed because her ears hurt. She was practically deaf until they were able to get her to her first US appt and had the wax removed.

Teresa

Polar Bear said...

Thanks for sharing this. There is so much to learn. I am thankful when those of you who have been there keep us new moms-to-be informed.

D & S said...

Thanks for letting us know. It's not something I would've thought of. Glad Sophia is doing better.

Emmie said...

Het language has, indeed, spead up a lot hasn't it!?

Beckyb said...

Remember when we first got Chloe and told us she was permanently deaf in one ear - yep, it was, with a daily dose of ear wax removal, better - they said that is VERY common with Chinese children and I still do it every other week in the bathtub - our doctor said they will grow out of it.

gretchen said...

time to break out the earwax candles! Where do you get the drops anyway? are they a presciption?

Steffie B. said...

The drops can be purchased at a Pharmacy. They are right on the shelf. No PX necessary. I think the drops helped soften the wax. I put them in for two weeks straight before we went in.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

i am an ear cleaner ... i clean out the kids ears constantly .. i do the drops religiously and it is just amazing how much comes out of emily's ears ... great info. to share .. i never thought about it affecting her speech ...

4D said...

Great handy hint!!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Something to "tuck away" to remember in the future when we get our precious peanut!
Thank you.
Blessings!