Monday, February 5, 2007

Moon Baby

I found the moon..........

I would say that for the last year, Sophia has become obsessed with the moon. A morning, afternoon or evening does not go by, without Sophia talking about the moon. Her favorite moon is a full moon......a "big circle moon" as she calls it. She wakes up everyday talking about the moon. Saying that it is "all gone in day time." "Moon out at night time." She will look out every window of the house as soon as it get's dark. Most of the time during these winter months she will report, "No moon....too cloudy." There are nights that she insists we take her outdoors to "check for moon." She doesn't even care how cold it is right now......we must look for that moon......EVERY NIGHT! And when she does see it......you would think it was the first time, every time. She is thrilled beyond belief. It amazes us how she thinks about it constantly. She'll talk about it to her baby, on the phone to Daddy or Oma and of course she tells all her friends during nap time party time.

This particular night she was looking for the moon while I was getting dinner ready. She was sitting on the ledge looking out our dining room window. I asked her what she was doing......of course I knew.....and she said "looking for the moon, Mama." I asked her if she could see it and she said "No....sky is pink." Sure enough, when I went to see what she was talking about, she was right. The sky was indeed pink. Does anyone else have a toddler out there fascinated by the moon?

New pictures added in the guestbook......take a peek.......

22 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

When is Sophia's birthday? Children born in July are said to be children of the moon. My Aunt and son Zachary are both July babies. My Aunt has bought Zach a moon Christmas ornament every year since he was born.

I would say that regardless of when she was born, she is a moon baby.
Maybe you should start some type of a moon collection..

Also, I definitely copied your moon blinky, LOVE it!!

Beckyb said...

You need to read Papa Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle and any by Frank Asch in the Moonbear Series - she would love them. I love your post - this was a fun one!!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

that is so sweet! there is something so magical about the moon though...

so nice to meet you - thanks for dropping by. So glad you are coming to the party.

Jack's Mom said...

Yep Jack is obessed with the moon and the sun. He always is saying "sun goes up, moon goes down, sun goes down moon goes up." And we have on many nights been outside looking up for the moon. I think they are becoming aware of a bigger world out there at this age. Love the music!

Anonymous said...

Personally, i am a big fan of the moon myself.
Cute picture.

Michelle said...

Our oldest daughter Isabella has always loved the moon and still do at age 7 ... and so do I!

4D said...

Future astronaut or astronomer for sure!

What a cutie.

Keep smilin!

Verna said...

That's darling. Mya likes the moon but not quite that much.

Mr.Brian said...

I've never heard of such a little one being so impressed with the moon.How cute.
She sounds like a fun little girl who keeps her family on their toes and with many good laughs.

Anonymous said...

Lauren's favorite book right now is Papa, please get the moon for me by Eric Carle. Sophia looks so sweet looking for the moon.
April

Nikki said...

I love it, Stef! That is soo cute.
Lily also really loves the moon, but she does not talk about it or look for it on a daily basis.

I love fun stuff like that, though. What a sweetheart she is --don't you wish you could reel it in for her???

Mommy Spice said...

Spicy Girl has always loved the moon as well. When we drive at night, she always makes the comment that the moon is following us. For the past few days we've seen the moon out during the day, so we got to have the discussion about the moon always being there, even during the day, we just can't always see it.

dawn said...

Buy the book, Moonbeams, Dragonboats and Dumplings. It is all about Chinese festivals and is geared towards kiddies. It explains all about the moon festival and how the kiddies in China believe the legend of the Jade Rabbit living on the moon. Lily and I always look for it as she loves the moon too. Love the photos.

Pam said...

Hannah looks for it everytime we are outside. She doen't talk about it that much other than that.

LaLa said...

You MUST get We See the Moon by Carrie A. Kitze. It is an awesome book..It is all about a child looking at the moon and wondering if her birthparents are thinking of her as they look at the same moon..then she tells them she is with her new family now and happy...sniff sniff
Cute photo!

Anonymous said...

So cute. I used to think the moon followed me everywhere I went when I was little.

Sew Much Fun said...

Yes, Gabrielle has talked about the moon since last summer, but is not as interested in it as Sophia. Loved the picture at sunset. It would be beautiful framed.

PandaMom said...

Wow. That really moves me. You know?...maybe your other little Chinese baby-girl is looking at the moon, too. You never know what children are sensing.So sweet.

kitchu said...

No toddlers, but I've scared people (unintentionally) when I catch a glimpse of a good moon with my dramatic intake of breath... to this day and since I was very young, I have been captivated myself, no idea why! I think it's wonderful that she is so taken with it!
Kris

Dannye said...

I too am a "moon child" as my mom calls me, my zodiac sign is Cancer (my b-day is 6/24) and it is said people with this sign are affected by the moon, my moods do apparently change based on what cycle the moon is in (it's quite weird), so maybe this is possible too with Sophia.

Ashley said...

My nephew loves the moon as well. Whenever he sees it, he says, "Hi Moon" and waves. Priceless! :)

Emmie said...

Oh, of course I know what you mean! She is like obsessed! :)