Tuesday, April 26, 2011

{ 2 Months Together }

It seems that people are still asking how things are really going here. So, I thought I would do a { 2 Months Together } post and tell you how it is honestly going. The good, the bad and the tears. We have brought children into our home of all ages. Mixing them in and trying our best to show them love and what it means to be a family. There are many days I question myself in how I am doing in this area. I rely on my faith, husband, Mother and friends to listen and suggest ideas and thoughts. So here it goes.
Daniel (11 of 1)
~ Daniel ~
For the most part, Daniel has taken to Olivia very well. Completely different then when Andrew came home. He doesn't seem to feel that same kind of "threat" that he appeared to have when a new brother arrived. He tells me that he loves Olivia and I see him trying to be kind to her and hug her. However, Daniel is our high energy child. He is much more likely to go after Andrew or Sophia out of frustration. He has not attempted to do that with Olivia yet. But from time to time I do hear Olivia say his name and then proceed to be quite frank with him in her full blown Chinese. Daniel looks at me and says that he has no idea what she is saying. I tell him that I have no idea either, but I'm pretty sure she is not happy with something that he has done. He doesn't disagree. lol Daniel needs energy outlets. When we are trapped inside, it is the hardest. There are days that this child drives me completely and totally insane and yet he is my most passionate child. There are days he drains me and I can't wait until it is bed time. And then there are days like when he comes home from school and can tell me the complete Easter story while opening each plastic egg with an item in it to help tell the story that he melts my heart and I am one big puddle of goo. He is growing up right before my eyes and while he is so challenging for me, I will never forget the blessing that he has been for us. Andrew (10 of 1)
~ Andrew ~
Andrew is the one that usually shows the most emotions. He and Daniel can be the best of buddies or the worst of enemies. When the boys click it is great, when they don't it can get very ugly around here. Andrew is our child that cries at anything. He is struggling to find his place. I can sense that, I know that and I am trying my best to figure it all out with him along the way. He can be very sure of certain things and yet when he is in front of other people in school, I know that he is unsure of himself. He has come a long way since bringing him home two years ago. His English is quite good, but he still stops and needs to think to get all his words out. He is a very bright boy that I think likes to be sneaky and see what he can get away with. He tells me all the time that he loves me. I know in my heart that he is the one that needs the most reaasurance right now. He is such a sweet boy. He doesn't seem to want to talk about China very much and at this point I really question what he can and can't remember so I don't press it. I am hoping that some of the summer programs I have him in and the little home schooling program I plan to do with all of them will help him in the areas that he is struggling in. Andrew has a very sweet soul and he is such a gift to our family. I pray that the boys bond will grow stronger
as they figure their emotions out as well. Sophia (4 of 1)
~ Sophia ~
Oh my sweet Fia.
My little artistic soul who is trying her best to be a big sister to the boys, a sister to her new sister, a little sister to her big sister and keep her place in line as well. She has done remarkably well until lately. She is more weepy and a bit more sensitive then usual. I am trying my best to talk with her and let her know that most of everything she is doing is fine. There are times that Olivia gets frustrated with Sophia's affection of wanting to be near her all the time and when that rejection comes it crushes Fia. While she still tells me all the time how happy she is to have a sister her age, I need to remind her that Olivia is not a baby and is actually quite independent and has a mind of her own. I think Fia will chill out a bit more once school is finished for the year. She is quite excited to be taking tennis lessons this summer and I am also looking at an art class for her and some gymnastics. She has had a lot of changes in her little life.
Two brothers and an older sister in 5 years. Livi (1 of 1)
~ Olivia ~
What a brave child.
She has done amazingly well her first 2 months home. She has gone with the flow, gone on a family vacation, is trying to understand us, has started school full time, is having a tutor, adjusting and meeting new friends, learning what it means to be a family and trying very hard to please us all the time. It has finally taken it's toll. Just recently I feel we had our first real breakdown of tears. She is frustrated and I have called out to a few girlfriends in the hopes of finding someone who speaks Chinese. We need a translator. It is time for me to make sure she understands some things and I need to hear her frustrations. Good or bad. I do have a connection that I will call this week. Olivia has been a dream. She is happy, bossy, helpful, silly, serious, nurturing and possibly now grieving. I would do anything for her. I just recently gave her back the photo albums we were given of her life in China. I pointed to a few of the pictures and she said "No" to all of them. We hugged and I told her over and over again that I loved her. She cried, I cried and I knew she was frustrated and grieving. I know that we will get through this process. We are all working through this together. For the most part, I will say that it has been an easy transition for her. I believe she was prepared and she is happy to be here. But when those tough days do come I wonder what she is thinking. I am looking forward to our home schooling program this summer. I think it will be good for her. She is so sweet and I love her to pieces. I can't imagine my life without her.

Emmie (1 of 1)

~ Emily ~

What an awesome big sister. She loves all the little ones and gives them more attention then I could ask for with her schedule and own "teenage life". She was hesitant about bringing Olivia home. She was older, another child in the family and would it all work out? Her feelings were valid and I prayed the entire time that her fears would not become a reality. The moment she saw Livi she was in love. By day two Olivia was everything she dreamed she would be. Emmie takes time out of her schedule to hang with her sibs. She coddles Fia when she is upset, goofs off with Livi, and tries her best to be be patient with both boys. I see a sense of responsibility within her and how she views her role with each of them. She talks of going off to college and Sophia and Daniel become quite distressed about it. They can't imagine life without her. Neither can I. OK, I am changing the subject and moving on! ;)

Sasha (1 of 1)

~ Sasha ~

Loves the girls and runs to hide from the boys. Leaves me hair balls to clean up at least 3 times a week and meows loudly when attention is needed. ;)

David and Steffie (2 of 1)

~ David and Steffie ~

David is so good with the boys. They look forward to the weekends when they know Daddy is going to be home. We are doing our best to work as a team to raise these little ones. To understand the importance of family, God, and to not take each other for granted. It is tough some days. I don't have all the answers and I know some days I fail miserably. I laugh about it, cry about it, get angry about it, question it and hope that I can keep my sanity while doing so. However, I pray that the next day will be better and that we continue to move forward with our dreams. Four children in five years is quite something. Three were a choice, another a miracle and 8 total. We love them all, young and old and hope that whatever the day may bring, good or bad that we stick together and overcome whatever obstacle stood before us.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

This may sound weird, but I am so happy to read this. Thank you for being real. There are some days that Caroline is a challenge for me and I wondered how you managed to get all 4 children to get along without arguments. Makes me feel better knowing that your children have had challenges too.

Kim said...

BEAUTIFUL..
You have the most AMAZING-REAL family..
Love you to the moon and back..
Thanks for sharing..
You are AMAZING..

shelley said...

Funny, the things you wrote about Andrew really fit our boy as well. You and I were in China at the same time with the boys...he doesn't want to hear about the time he spent in China just yet. He is taking baby steps in wanting to know, but it is a slow process.

Our sweet Claire can't hear her story enough....

The Byrd's Nest said...

You are VERY real and I love you for that:) My Lottie is a combo of Daniel and Andrew. When I read your words I could totally relate to both children. My heart breaks for all of our children that are suffering to express themselves. It doesn't matter if they were adopted or biological, they are all just built so differently. Praying for your family. I thank for sharing the specifics so that I know how to pray for them better in my prayer journal. Praying for sweet Olivia and that she will feel comfortable with the translator and share her feelings openly. I know her frustrations of language and the inability to express herself in the language of her heart,I have felt this often in Mexico. Love you my friend:)

Inga said...

You have such a sweet and beautiful family.

God Bless
Inga

hollym. said...

Thanks for sharing your Mommas heart,Steffie. It's not easy with one child, let alone 5 precious individuals that have totally different life stories. Eventually, they will all mesh and bond to become each others biggest advocates and best friends. Rome wasn't build in a day and either where relationships that are made to last. It sounds like you have a great handle on each child and their individual needs. Praying for each little soul and Emmie, too. God Bless you all and hang on for the ride~~.Thinking of you all often. Oh, so proud of Emmies big sister role that she take so seriously. VERY unusual for a teen.
take care, hollym.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Continuing to send extra prayers and blessings to your little tribe. You are doing a great job, Steffie.

JMCS said...

Steffie,

Lovely post. You are doing an amazing job and with each day comes more growth for Olivia. I am not going to lie, the first 4 mos. were the toughest for our family when we adopted a toddler and I think we became pretty settled in after 1 year. Your children are all so lovely and so is their awesome mom and dad!

Hugs,
jonni

JMCS said...

One more thing, Sammy was the same way with not wanting to talk or remember China when we got home.

JMCS said...

I forgot to tell you that I love the pics you took of the kids...so gorgeous!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

what an honest and beautifully written post...Straight from the heart...You are such a good mommy.
Love you my friend {{{hug}}}

redmaryjanes said...

Love you. This is such a wonderful post because I know how real it is. You have a beautiful family and you have worked so hard to build and maintain it. It is a blessing to me to see your children and to have you all as a regular part of our lives.

t~ said...

Great update on your tribe! All sounds like a life being lived.
xox

RamblingMother said...

wonderful update and great reminder that family's take time to bond and grow together but time and patience most times will be the glue needed to bring everyone around.

jennifer said...

Love the update. It is so hard to meet the individual needs of so many "littles". Sounds like you're doing an amazing job. I hope you find a translator soon...I would imagine that would help immensly!

3 Peanuts said...

Thank you for such and honest and warm look at your life. I am sure it is such a challenge to blend all the backgrounds and baggage and lovely but spunky little personalities into your family. You seem to be doing it with grace though.


I hope you can get tot he bottom of things with sweet Olivia. I am sure you want to comfort her the best you possibly can.

I am sorry to hear that someone made a negative comment about E. She looks beautiful. No one has the right to make such judgements. My heart hurts hearing such things.

Kristy said...

Steffie life just brings good and bad days, and we all have bad days. You are doing an amazing job! Your family is beautiful and I just love them all. As far as that college thing....Astrud graduates on June 3rd and then in August will be moving out to live with my son and daughter in law , she will be working and going to school, and it makes more sense her home, school and work are all withing a 2 or 3 mile radius and it is just 25 minutes away , but still even right now as I am typing my heart is just breaking, I cant imagine life here without my baby, it just kills me!!!!

Love and blessings, Kristy

Dita said...

This post just brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy for all of you and I know that each day has its challenges but that the beautiful things that occur each day outweigh those challenges.

Your family is truly a melting pot with Mama at the stove constantly stirring it with love and seasoning it with attention and good humor.
Looking forward to more gorgeous pictures of your brood this summer (these are fantastic)....
Enjoy every minute of it!

xoxoo
Dita

PS
The cat....oh, that was sooooooo funny!

LedaP said...

So relate to everything you posted here...shoot we've been home 7 months and still working out the growing pains...but still wouldn't change a thing!!!

Mom 2 six said...

I highly recommend finding a translator to have a deep conversation. For us it went exceptionally well- it was very insightful !