Tuesday, March 8, 2011

{ So Many Firsts }

Olivia's first's (2 of 1)
This week was to begin the many firsts for Olivia. Sunday we went to church. When we walked in, Sophia had one hand and Daniel had his arm around her. Proudly telling anyone that would listen that Olivia was his new sister from China. Everyone is quite protective of her right now and I think it is so precious. She went to class with Sophia and seemed to understand that I would be back and everything would be alright. The day before that, we went to a hotel to swim for the afternoon. Olivia loved it and walked around the smaller pool area with confidence. She always knew where Momma and Daddy were, but she did not feel the need to be with us every moment. She took in all that the swimming pool had to offer. Her eyes beaming and smiles coming so freely and easily. As you can see in this picture, she was so at ease that she did not think to keep her mouth closed. I think she knows that her teeth look a little different then ours. Next week is our trip to the dentist. We will see what they suggest. Olivia's first's (11 of 1)
Another HUGE first was that we decided that after only 10 days home with us, that we would start Olivia in school for half days until we return from Maui. Then she will go full days. She has made it clear to us that she is ready. She is a very smart girl that I think is use to routine and being in a classroom setting. On Monday I took her in and stayed with her a bit only to have her look at me and say bye-bye Momma. There was no anxiety at all. In fact, at one point all the kids were saying hi to her in Chinese and she looked at me and rolled her eyes as if to say, I do know the word hello for pete's sake. I was quite worried about recess. The picture above clearly shows that I didn't need to be. All the children in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade classes knew she was coming. She was given such a warm welcome. I was so pleased. She also had to go to our pediatrician this week. They took six viles of blood and she never cried. I could feel her starting to sweat, but she was so brave. I have a feeling some of the things she was told before coming to us was not to let us see her cry and to be very obedient. She has been so sweet. I can't imagine what goes through her head on a daily basis. She tells me she loves me several times a day now and I can't wait for her to be able to really tell me how she is feeling.
I can feel that I am in that euphoric state of mind just like I was when
we brought Sophia home. I feel like our family has come full circle. Livi (1 of 1)
March 21st is our cardiologist appointment. I am very anxious about this one. I just want to know that things are ok, to find out if she has any limitations and if the surgery was indeed successful. I am not worried about anything at this point, it will just be good for David and I to get that "all clear" from the doctor. I know we are all in that honeymoon stage right now. It seems like that first year of "firsts" is so magical. The little ones are learning to gel with one another and once we get to Maui, I know that it will be a tremendous bonding time for our family. I am just so thankful that she is doing so well and that I have the children going to a school that is so wonderful and helpful. These next few weeks are sure to be some great times for our family. I can hardly wait.

15 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

I am so happy for all of you. You all so obviously belong together!

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

So happy to hear how well she is doing!! It took Gemma about 2 months home before she felt comfortable to cry, she acted very brave those first 2 months.

Cant wait to follow you to Maui, what a magical time that will be for your family!!!!

Michelle R Photography said...

I just think it's wonderful that she and Sophia are in the same class. That school yard pic is just precious. She is such a little champ!! And can you even imagine what she will think of Maui?!? Oh my!! It will be magical for her!

Wendy said...

wonderful

Kate said...

You make it all look so easy. It has been an inspiration and great plaesure to watch you welcome home your Shaanxi girl!

Lori Lynn said...

It all looks so wonderful so far. I know there must be many challenges, but it looks like you have the love, knowledge, and patience to work through them.

I look forward to seeing more.

Anonymous said...

It is always such an honor to see your beautiful family. Thank you for letting us journey to Olivia with you.

She looks likes the most precious soul and I am sure your pics (although awesome) do not even begin to capture what she has brought to you all!

Blessings, Ashley

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm so happy for you, Steffie. Olivia is doing amazingly well. I'll be anxiously awaiting your upcoming doctor's appointments. We just visited Dr. Lacina in his new cardiology office at Devos Children's Hospital a week ago. It's beautiful. The new hospital even has an ice cream stand in the lobby.

HUGS!!

hollym. said...

So very happy for you all, Steffie! And they lived happily ever after.....more to come!:)

Tina Michelle said...

That looks so sweet. I love the school yard pic!

DiJo said...

Steffie,
I am just catching up on your posts from home and your pictures.. She is absolutely precious! You are right, those eyes are just stunning, and they tell a story... She looks like she has so much peace about her! The MJ outfit is soooo darling on her too!

Enjoy this precious time!

Blessings,
Diana

3 Peanuts said...

It is so encouraging to read how well Olivia is doing. I am really glad that she has adjusted so easily. I know that is not always the case. I can tell that she feels right at home with your tribe.

Shari U said...

How wonderful to see her smiling with her teeth showing! She's obviously very comfortable with her new family. Have a great time in Maui; I can't think of a better way for your family to relax together and to bond!

Serving the King said...

That is awesome! We started the boys at school after two weeks home as well, best decision ever. They were used to going to school and not going was kinda driving them crazy I think. School was yet another thing that they lost when they came home so putting them in helped tremendously....even though it is American school somehow it was oddly familiar to them. Hope you have a great trip!

Carolin said...

so utterly amazed at how well she is doing!!!! blessings to you & yours stef!