Monday, March 21, 2011

{ Cardiologist Visit }

girls (3 of 1)
Today I took Olivia to visit her cardiologist. Looking at her, the energy she has and her happy sweet self, you would never know that she has a long scar down her chest and another below it where the large drainage tube was. Livi shows no signs of struggling to keep up or the need to slow down. However, at some point, she will. Olivia was born with Tetralogy of Fallot. She had two large holes and another one where a valve will eventually need to put in. Currently the hole that needed a valve is covered with the same kind of patch as her other holes. {like Andrew's} The best way to describe the material used is that it's like the material of a rain coat. There is enough give, that it expands as the blood flows through and out to her body. It blows up like a balloon and then down again as her heart works to keep things flowing. The bad part is that it will only last "roughly" for about 5 years. Her surgery was two years ago. So, while things are going good now, by the time she is 10, she may very well need that replacement. It will be a mechanical valve that will hopefully last much longer. I was also told that "hopefully" this surgery can be done through a stint. Up her leg rather then having to crack her little chest open again. That will be our big prayer once that time does come. In the mean time, I have "signs" to look for and in another year she will go back to the cardiologist and he will perform a pulmonary infusion where they will put radio active dye in her to get a better picture. I will admit to having some tears while I was there mainly because I just had it in my mind that she would not need this surgery until she was a young adult. But I know that there is no need to worry and that she can do anything and everything a normal 7 year is suppose to do. The Lord has taken care of her up until now, and I know He will continue to do so. So for now, we are loving life, doing our best to give her everything she needs to feel safe and secure and leaving the rest behind until it is time.

6 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

This is all going to work out ok. I know that is so hard to think about a surgery. But I will be there. :) She is such an amazing child. She blesses everyone who comes into contact with her.

Jewels of My Heart said...

So thankful the surgery she already had was successful. Will be praying for God's healing for her and peace for her family.
God bless you all my friend,
Love,
Daleea

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm always here for you too. Our daughters have a special ToF bond. I continue to praise God for each year that doesn't require another medical intervention. Hugs!!

Michelle R Photography said...

She is such a beautiful child, and she obviously has such a beautiful heart. Even with its imperfections, it is beautiful and God has her in His hands. I'm so glad she was able to get the surgery she needed while in China. Now she has a family and a mommy to make sure she gets the medical care she needs from here on out. Life is good.

xoxo,
Michelle

Dita said...

So, so, so happy to hear that the status quo is all good and from the look in Livi's eyes....well, Life is GRAND!

Hugs,
Dita

3 Peanuts said...

I am so glad that she is doing so well. She seems like an absolutely amazing little girl and I am not just saying that. i look at her and she has the peace about her. I is hard to fathom with everything she has been through. I have always been afraid to adopt a chid this age but this inspires ma and I am sure many more people too.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the outfit in the post below (pink and green). Is it MJ? I have never seen it before. If you ever want to sell it to a fellow blogger when Olivia out grows it, let me know;)