ok, seriously.....maybe I made a mistake by not telling Thing 1,2 and 3 what I was up to....but after seeing how they all freaked out at their back to school check ups, I really felt it was best. So, here we all are at the doctors office. They call us back to this little room. We are like a little herd....everyone stares at the kids, looks and David and I....looks at the kids more, smiles....ooo's and aaaa's.......and I am thinking to myself.....oh you people just wait!!!!! We all gather in this tiny room and I ask about the mist. NOT AN OPTION. They only give the shots. Sophia hears this statement and goes into COMPLETE meltdown mode. Daniel is sitting the chair and Andrew is backed up against the wall and David is completely shocked at Sophia's state of mind. I pick her up and start pulling up her left sleeve. She is screaming like a wild animal...I am serious.....her eyes were totally glazed over....there was no communicating with her what so ever! And let me tell you, this girl is STRONG! She was kicking and thrashing and it ends up that I have to take part of her dress off. In the meantime, she has pulled her sleeve down and has it in a death grip and I am prying her fingers off it to get her arm out of her sleeve. At this point, Daniel is in the fetal position in the chair just sobbing. I think he was more upset at seeing Sophia so upset and Andrew has backed further up in the corner...... I know just praying that maybe I just might not see him. He is completely serious and is standing there horrified. It takes both David and I to hold Sophia down and TWICE the nurse had to ask us if "WE GOT HER" before she was sure that she could administer the shot. It was like the Tasmanian (sp?) devil.....she was worse then before. It was like 3 minutes of solid shrieking and thrashing with her. David was beyond horrified and I was sweating and shaking. BOOM....the shot is done and the next lucky contestant is Bubba. As soon as I go for him, he turns around and grabs on to the chair in his own death grip attempt to be kept from being pulled on the table. David takes him and tries his best with him but getting him to lay on the table was no easy task. Bubba is very strong as well. And being the baby of the family and so attached to Daddy and Daddy to him, it was very hard on both of them. I glance over at Sophia and she is sitting in the chair with her eyes closed breathing in and out.....like she left the room and went into some sort of meditation......SERIOUSLY?????? The girl is 6.....and she is calming herself down in the chair with breathing?!?!?!?!?!? Anyways.....we finally get Daniel pinned down and as he anticipates the shot, there is about 3 seconds of abrupt silence followed by his screams. Then, lucky contestant number 3 looks at me, shuts and eyes and just drops his mouth wide open and starts screaming the highest most deafening pitch scream I have EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!!! Andrew can start and stop crying like the drop of a hat! Obviously he is so little that getting him on the table was easy. However, the screams never stopped....it was like he needed NO air.....David is beside himself at this point....and I am thinking....yeah....welcome to my world Daddy O.......we get Andrew done and then I hop up on the table and there is COMPLETE silence as they watch my every move......Sophia has stopped her meditation at this point, Daniel's weepy cry stops and Andrews mouth closes and he opens his eyes wide as can be......Mommy smiles and she gets her shot and Daddy too.....the nurse lets them pick out their stickers, says we will need a follow up booster since we didn't do the H1N1 last year, she opens the door and Sophia and Andrew BOLT out of there and Daniel sits in the chair and begins his sad weeping all over again and tells Daddy he can't walk. Daddy picks him up and they do their bonding thing........and.......out we go.....to which the gals at the desk say.......we didn't even know you were here....{insert laughing}.......I load the kids in the car, buckle them because you know they are now incapable of doing that because of the shot they just had.....and David looks at me and says....I am never coming to that kind of party again.......and off to Krispy Kreme we went......I can hardly wait for the next one.....due in 30 days or less! ;)
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





16 comments:
I would strongly recommend separate appts. if you can swing it.
I am so sorry for your nightmare day.
Oh Steff,Im sitting hear smiling and laughing.(My mean side I guess) I can just see this going on.I am sure daddy was almost in tears too.
You know I thought i heard some screaming in Oc this morning maybe it was the tribe.
Hope next time you can drug them before the shots.That or you have a few glasses of wine before the whine begins.
Hope they have all forgiven you by now.
Steffie, that was the scene for Ava's shots/bloodwork when we first arrived home from China. The next time I used the Emla patches( bandaid type things impregnated with xylocaine). You put them on the area of the blood draw( I put on both arms in case they can't access one arm) and on both upper arms for vaccines. They must stay on for at least one hour prior and take off immediately before needle pick.
To get Ava to even consider the shots again, we trialed the patches at home and tested(showed her) that she wouldn't feel any pick by poking the area with a sterile needle. We call them her magic bandaids and we've now used them for three years. She's calm, feels nothing, has sucker in mouth at time of draw and life is good.
She has had so much medical trauma with her cleft lip/palate and will have more with further surgery in her future, that I have done everything I can to lessen her medical trauma(especially with her as we still have a long way to go in the attachment area.)
I knew about these patches as we reoutinely use them in the ER of the hospital I work at, for starting IV's on kids.
Here in Canada we don't need a prescrition for them and can get them at the walmart pharmacy. I always keep a pack in my purse for emergencies.
Just thought that if you hadn't already heard about them, you might be interested.
Steffie - you have a way of telling a story! ;) Em was your Sophia until she hit kindergarten and then her lil' sister changed everything. Hannah asks for her shots....she goes for check-ups and says, "I am getting a shot, right?" Then she waits sleeves up and watches the whole sorted affair! Well, one cannot be outdone by the little sister, can they???? I thank God for our little peanut because I used to have to take an extra set of clothes for Em, never knew if breakfast was going to re-visit or not! Thankful you have such a magnificent sense of humor...yo9u have to with all those beautiful children!!! Blessings to you!
Heather
Wine...you need wine!
I am sitting here feeling a bit like David, exhausted, just from reading about it.
Wow, your a brave woman to take 3 at one time. I am already dreading all the shots our daughter will have to get before leaving China.Hope the Krispy Kremes helped.
Donna
Dear Mercy! I am tense just reading about it!
Ok,if that had been me and my 6, I'd be laughing hysterically! But... reading it?! I have tears running down my face! Bless their little hearts!! Glad y'all got some Krispy Kreme :-)
oh dear.
Lea
xo
Oh my!!! Whoa -- what an appointment! You and your Hub are rockstars for getting through that! Too bad they can't do the mist -- I hate to tell you how easy peasy that is! Put that next appointment out of your mind for now!
Janet
Oh goodness gracious - that was awful. Nightmare!! I applaud your bravery - most Moms would have bolted along with the Dad and kids.
Why oh why can't it be easier? It's 2010 people.
All I can say is - this too shall pass (till....ummmm....next month, darn it!)
Our appointment is 11/8. It's a tough hour, but you will be so glad to not have sick children this winter and be in and out of the hospital. :)
Oh, Steffie! What a day! I've got to tell you, first I teared up...then I had to chuckle at your story telling skills. I never get tired of hearing about the TRIBE.
love,hollym.:)
We had an eerily similar situation when I took Katie in for a shot she needed for school -- I had no idea just how strong my little girl is! Ella didn't need a shot at that time, but she was screaming and hollering just as loud as Katie was. It was awful. And I am so not looking forward to the barrage of shots Katie will need to start Kindergarten next year -- I don't even want to think about getting the girls flu shots!
So sorry you had such a bad day. Thankfully you had your husband along and Krispy Kremes afterward!
We are getting out flu shots Monday. I am hoping not to have to hold G down this year. She hasn't really needed me to in the past but things do change. krispy kremes can make just about anything all better, heh.
David's comment at the end of your story made me burst out laughing. Glad I wasn't in a public place!
Post a Comment