I am in need of learning some Mandarin due to the fact that we are bringing home a child that will be speaking it fluently. I looked on Chinasprout only to find a gazillion books and videos and have NO IDEA which one would be the best unless I order several, which I really don't want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on books and DVD's that they have used and have found useful? My SW suggested knowing about 25 words or so that are basic to a toddler. Such as tired, hungry, sleepy, potty, hurt, hi and things of that nature. Give me your suggestions! PLEASE!!!! lol
The possibility of staying 3 weeks is looking more and more like it will happen as I am reading and hearing about what goes on in Beijing. It is because Beijing is so large and that the orphanage is so big that it is taking so long to process Visa's and passports. But the good news is......I have decided to take Emmie regardless. I can not FATHOM her not being there with me. She is a freshmen in high school with a 4.0 GPA. I plan to go see the VP in the next week or two along with scheduling an appointment with our superintendent. Just so I can give them a head's up on the situation and find out how I need to approach her teachers as well. They can't keep me from taking her and I will have my sw write a letter explaining the experience she will gain from this journey. Tell me how often does a child get this opportunity? Not to mention, twice! Knowing I have made this decision has given me a little more peace of mind. As far as leaving Sophia and Daniel, I will be getting a new lap top within the next few weeks and I plan to get that little camera thingamabob on it as well as putting one on my computer I have at home. ~sigh~ At least they will be in their own home and beds and they are very attached to my sister Ingrid. I'll also ask a few of my girlfriends ( with smaller kids) if I can schedule a time they could come for a few hours in the evenings here and there just to give Ingrid a break and some quiet time. As you can see, my mind is going a million miles and hour, but this is a good million mph! ;) Everything will just need to be scheduled and planned.
No word on PA yet. I am hoping for that this week. I'm dying to send out my announcements that I have had made up, post his little picture for all of you to see and just scream it from the roof tops that we have a Son waiting for us in China. Thank you all again for your good wishes and comments of encouragement. My heart goes out to each and every one of you that still continues to wait with this journey. I feel your pain and I understand your longing to bring your child home. I pray for many of you and I know deep in my heart that your child has been hand picked for you by our Father and when the time is right, He will reveal that child to you. ;)
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Learning Mandarin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





33 comments:
I am glad you made the decision to take Emmie....I am sure as long as you can get the work from her teachers, they will be fine with it!!
As for the mandarin, there was a link on the RQ site....it was in a discussion room and a lot of people put their 2 cents in as to what was good and what was not....I will try to find the link and email it to you:)
Enjoy what is left of your weekend!!
Lisa
I'm glad Emmie is coming. She's such a good student and your appointments with all the right people will help your case.
SKYPE was absolutely a life-saver in China. We even purchased web cameras for both sets of grandparents to use with Skype. We even skyped Emma's 4th grade classroom on 3 different occasions for a virtual field trip. Too cool.
The Chinese DVD series from China Sprout that Emma seemed to pick up much faster than Chris or I, was the series titled, "Follow Jade". There were several different dvds that could be purchased in this series. Good luck with this. I'm so excited for you!!
For the phrases you are looking for, I would look at the suggestions here ( http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=26067.0 ). I would also look into purchasing a few DVDs and CDs, especially ones from the Follow Jade or Mei Mei Hu series. They'll teach you more vocabulary, but more like fruits, veggies, animals, body parts, etc.
You may also want to check out the AM101 as well... it's expensive, but on sale now, so...
( http://www.bbkusa.com/ )
You are getting some great suggestions Steffie about learning Mandarin. I took lessons from someone here where I live who is a native speaker and recorded her, so I could practice. I learned about 20 brief phrases. William spoke English and Mandarin. The Mandarin still comes in handy now and then because he will occasionally go back to it. You will be shocked how quickly your new little man will pick up English though!
So happy that Emmie is coming along, this is a once in a lifetime experience and she should be there to help you and also get to know her new little brother too.
I've heard only great things about Skype...didn't use it because Grace was with us in China. Go for it girl.
And finally, I know it's crazy busy these days. A good crazy busy. This 2nd trip to China will be even more amazing for you, I promise...you will shine!
Steffie I brought Tyler with me (Ken stayed home with Livi we thought that was best for Livi at the time). The HS fully supported Tyler coming with me. I had a sight set up and most of the teachers and staff at the HS followed our journey to Addison. When Tyler got back he did a large presentation with a slideshow for the school. Tyler had all his work with him and we kept in contact with teachers...yes it's an awesome experience for them. Tyler was 15 at the time and China is a trip that will stay with him forever. Tyler is also very very close to Addison. They have a bond that is so different from my other's boys bond with Addison. Taking it all in for Tyler was an amazing experience.
I am sooo glad you decided to take Emmie..
I know we are going to take the kids even if it does weigh heavy on our pocketbooks..
But it is something my children will probably never get to experience....
I think the school will understand.. they might be able to do her work online also..
I am sooo excited for you girly..
It will be wonderful.. I am sooo glad you have been here for my long journey and will be there when it is my turn..
LOVE ya girly ..
Have a great Sunday..
I saw on Amazon that they have a DS game that teaches Chinese. I know nothing about it but thought it looked pretty intersting.
How exciting! We are planning to bring the boys whenever we get to go (that is, if they haven't all graduated by then!). I think I will have a fight on my hands with the jr. high here. I am anxious to hear what your school says. I really can't wait to see a picture of that boy!!
Hi S,
We brought Jadyn home when she was one month short of five....she spoke one one in Mandarin/mix:) the entire time there....and it is the one word I thought to ask her Nanny...."BATHROOM"....any time she would whisper this word...we all dropped what we were doing and ran her to a bathroom:)!!! IT WAS THE ONLY WORD SHE SPOKE. We took flashcards from China sprout, we took very early baby beginner books you can find anywhere...Target, Kmart...etc... One of the best things we did was learn some "baby sign language" this way we were all on the same playing field. We learned to sign for more, all done...hungry, tired...etc. BUT, the first night we had Jadyn "SHE" spoke to us, she repeated so much of what we were saying. All this to say, do what your heart tells you, but, in the end your Son will need to learn to speak English...he already speaks Mandarin!!! Hugs are universal, snuggling is universal, so, be prepared, but, it is such a cool Miracle to just walk into this and watch God work through you, your family and your sweet Son. God will provide it all....even the words and language. I know it sounds like "Yeah, uhhuh, sure" But, it was the most amazing Miracle to watch Jadyn repeat so many of our words.. I think she figured out with six of us speaking to her in China in English, she just had to jump on board...it was sink or swim. So, thankful to God for helping us all to float!!
Steffie: I used Teresa Kelleher's CD/book when learning Russian for our adoption. They are FABULOUS and very geared towards the phrases and words you need to know. I adopted a seven year old, and was able to do a pretty decent job communicating with her, primarily from this series. I had her fooled! She told the social worker that I spoke Russian badly. haha. At least she thought I spoke it!!!
Anyway, Teresa also has a Chinese CD/book geared towards adoption. Here is the link:
http://worknotes.com/AZ/AdoptingFromRussia/Kelleher/h1.stm
Best of luck to you!
AND....THRILLED EMMIE IS GOING BACK TO OUR BELOVED CHINA!!!
There is much to be learned and cherished in this journey through adoption....not all of it is learned in a classroom(WINK)!!! Emmie will be such a blessing to her sweet brother and to you!!! GO EMMIE:)!!!!
Congrats again on your sweet boy:) Can't wait to hear more about him... hoping your PA comes soon.
I'm 15 and went with my family to adopt both of my sisters. We adopted AnnaClaire when I was in 8th grade and we adopted Kate this year (I'm a sophomore in high school.) I'll tell you that it was not easy to miss 2.5 weeks of high school, but it was SO WORTH IT. I wouldn't have missed that for anything and although my grades did drop a little and I did have quite a bit of makeup work, it ended up being fine and I am back on track. (We traveled end of Oct/early Nov) Although all of my teachers weren't necesarily happy about me missing that much school, they did work with me and it really was not a big deal. Going to China is unforgettable, a memory that will be with me the rest of my life. Although my grades did drop a little and it did take me awhile (and I had to say no to hanging out with friends a few times!) to make up my work, I wouldn't have missed it for the world and I learned WAY more experiencing what I experienced than I will ever learn in a class room.
With that said, I am SO happy that Emmie is going again! I know she'll have so much fun :) and I cannot WAIT to follow your trip!
Steffie,
Just my two cents but most of the toddlers/children in our SWI only spoke the local language, with a spattering of Mandarin thrown in. The phrases in the back of my book are exactly the ones I learned "from the children" during my time in China.
Kay
I'm so glad Emmie is going with you! What an amazing experience for her to have again! I really needed to hear that last sentence today. Thank you for remdinding me it truly is all in God's timing. Can't wait to see his sweet little face after you get that PA!
You are such a sweetie.
I can't wait to see the picture and hope and hope and hope that i will get an announcement!
Glad to hear you are feeling a little relief about leaving the little ones.
thinking of you lots. And, good luck with that Manderine girlfriend.
Lea
xo
Steffie my husband purchased the Rosetta Stone and he learned mandarin with it. It is not cheap but it is a very good program. Good Luck!!
Love, Kristy
can't help ya on the book thing ...Mags only knew about 3 words and when she got home she picked up English (esp. word NO) really fast ... I think it would be fab to take Emmie ...
the thingabob you are talking about are WEBCAMS ... hee hee
Hi Steffie,
This is what I used and it worked well. Scroll down, look to the far right, and you'll see some cards and a CD. Not expensive, but will give you basic words for your pumpkin. He'll be seeking to understand your language more than you will his. Take care and remember hugs, love, motions are universal! :) Hope this link works for you to copy and paste. If not, just type in chinaconnectiononline.com
http://www.chinaconnectiononline.com
I'm so so pleased that Emmie will be going with you!!!
Skype...I use it all the time...whether to talk to my family in the US, chat with my friends in Switzerland or Seychelles...it's great! I think it is worth buying a good web cam though (resonnably high resolutions / Pixels)!
When we picked up Bhavishya, she was 2 years old and 2 weeks and I had a list of 20 Tamil words or so (Mama, Daddy, eat, drink, pee, poo, sleep, please, thank you, give me, doll, for you, potty...)I had learned by heart...but remember at that age, children are sponges and learn so fast!!!
Have a lovely week!
Saskia
P.S. Any idea when you will be travelling?
Steffie,
Lavonne here with the 4 Chinese Angels... we used Skype and loved it.... also if you want to buy a great language set... Scott bought one in June for his trip and used in in China for about a wk and has never used it since... i would be open to selling it.... let me know
LavonneD@ mail.com
I'm glad you're taking Emmie again.
FWIW, I don't think you'll have any difficulty with the teachers or admin. at her school. If they're anything at all like our district, they will immediately see the huge benefits of her traveling to China instead of staying home.
I gave our district as much notice as I could (saying something like, "we will be traveling sometime in the next 6 weeks, I will let you know the exact dates as soon as we have them" so the teachers could prepare for the boys' absence. Some teachers even wrote separate lesson plans for the boys to incorporate their trip (awesome folks, those!), and others let them work ahead so they wouldn't have too much homework to complete in China. All in all, they were fantastic to work with and very excited about this opportunity for the kids.
So, in short, write a letter for every teacher and the principal today to send in with her tomorrow to give them a heads up. I really don't think you'll encounter much resistance.
Any idea about CNY with the rest of us?
Hi Steffie, I am de-lurking (if that s a word)lol...... and wanted to comment on learning Mandarin. I am a mother of 7, 5 daughters which we adopted from China. My husband just returned in Nov. with Kamryn Rachel who is 6. The best thing we bought was a talking translator from Brookstone to help us. Also i would suggest flash cards from Chinasprout. Its amazing how fast you do learn how to communicate . Kamryn Rachel is good to knod yes if we have it right and No if were way off. Also pointing has got us thru alot of things when we can't hit on it. My husband took lots of picture albumns with him and kept pointing and teaching her names of things and that helped. So I guess what I am saying is we found it easier to jump right into teaching her English because we sure couldn't fugure Mandarin out. Kids at this age seem to just soak a new language up but I found the more we tried to learn her language the more we failed at it. In fact we have given her quite a few good laughs. lol...... Best of luck, Kathy
Although it seems like you have so much to plan and organize, it seems like you have it all figured out! Love that you're bringing your daughter, I agree...what an experience for her!!! Can't wait to see your little boy's picture. You must be on cloud nine!!!
Have a great week.
I'm glad you have decided to bring Emmie along with you to China! I think it will be a wonderful experience for both of you and I just know that Sophia and Daniel will be in perfect hands at home with your sister. I tell ya those cameras are amazing aren't they :)
Can't wait to see his picture!!! So happy for you!
Can't wait to see the post and the photos of your newest addition!
As for Emmie...I think it is great that she is going to be traveling again to China with you! What an experience!
Oh goodie...I am glad Emmie gets to go! I think it will be wonderful for both of them, since older siblings seem to be a good icebreaker sometimes;)
I have been praying about you NOT having to stay for three weeks...well...I'm trying not to sound bossy with God but I can feel your pain. BUT at least your sister is the next best thing to you and the camera will help alot with the little ones. Maybe look into Skype...it is free.
Emmie will be great support for you when you go, I think it's a great idea!
For short term, I would agree the best approach is simply to learn a short list of key words and phrases...let me offer you the one I used the most the first few weeks after our then six year old son came home to us..."Bu Yao!" Very useful term! It means "No!", "Don't do that!", "Stop!"...all rolled in one! (literal translation is "don't want" as in I don't want you to do that! It is the closest equivalent to English's "No!") It is pronounced "boo (like the scare you sound) yow (rhymes with how)" The "yao" is said with a quickly falling tone. (like an emphatic scolding tone)...handy!
Your little one will pick up English amazingly quickly, though!
For long term, Rosetta Stone can't be beat. (A couple of decades ago I aced four semesters of Chinese in college and couldn't understand a single spoken work in actual conversation...then, years later, I purchased Rosetta Stone software. I had just been goofing around with it in my spare time for a few weeks when my daughter and I were invited to go to the zoo with a large group of mainland China International students from our local university. It turned out that my daughter and I were the only non-Chinese speakers in the group (which consisted of a large number of children who had not yet been exposed to English). Needless to say, only Chinese was spoken...but, to my amazement, I actually UNDERSTOOD a good deal of what was being spoken. What two years of college could not accomplish, just a few casual weeks with Rosetta Stone had!
I think it is so neat that you are taking Emmie with you!
~Monica
Hi Steffie,
I am so glad to hear you are taking Emmie. You know, I was just thinking a few days ago, "What did I learn in school that I REALLY use today?" You know the one thing that popped into my mind? My typing class!! Going to China and getting to have this experience will last a lifetime.
www.betterchinese.com
I recommend the preschool sets with small colorful books and a CD. They are simple phrases, build on each other and will help you learn helpful phrases for kids.
The dictionary they sell goes with their stuff and is also helpful.
They also have a a FABULOUS computer program for preschool. Lessons are simple, colorful and build on one another.
Just wanted to let you know our two oldest sons (then ages 17, 16) traveled with us to get our second daughter. We completed an "educational trip" form for each of them that the school district has. You shouldn't need a letter from your social worker. Hey..any travel to a foreign country such as China is educational no matter for what reason you are going there! Then the principal signed off on it and the superintendent. It took about 2 weeks I think. No problems. Their teachers got a copy of the form I think and prepared work for them to do while they were gone. The hardest part, as you know because you've BTDT, was them getting through a school day with jet lag upon our return. Hope it all goes smoothly for you!
I have a GREAT list of words/phrases that we used with Lucy...she was fluent in Mandarin when we got her at 3 1/2. It includes all the basics, and we still use all of these today along with English....it was a lifesaver. We even left a copy home for our boys, and when we came home from China they could ask her basic questions.
Post a Comment