Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How I Get Through The Wait

Who is Steffie B?
P5092279
e
When I was pregnant with Emmie I had already decided that from the moment I came home with her that I would play classical music while she slept. I grew up having the same done for me. My Mother came home from a trip to The Netherlands that summer and gave me a CD with beautiful flute music played by a Dutch flutist. I loved it and listened to it until I gave birth. Emmie listened to it until she was about 3 years old and then I switched to other classical music. I kept this CD in a special place.....little did I know I would be passing it on.
e2
When we were waiting for Sophia I wanted to feel a connection to her and have a daily reminder that she was coming, that she was real, that I really was waiting for a baby from China. I wore a red thread bracelet that I bought from China Sprout. I loved it. I also did the link bracelets....one for Emmie and one for Sophia. I wore all 3 through the entire wait and then to China and did not take them off until she returned home. It is now in her keepsake box. I also bought a CD that I thought would connect me with her as well. It was Feng Shui. I remember sitting outside, it was summer, a beautiful sunny day. I cranked up the CD as I was laying out in the sun . Suddenly song #4 began and I instantly started to cry. This was it....the song that made me feel her little soul....I knew she waiting......the song was called Fire. This journey I was on was new to me, I was very emotional during the wait, the uncertainty of it all, the worry.....and this CD and song would move me. I'm a very deep thinker....and I would spend quite a bit of time listening to this CD. I had copies of it every where. The downstairs system, my car, Sophia's room, my room...... I have given the CD out as a gift.....it was just planted very deeply in my soul. Things like this I do not question....it is there for a reason. However, I knew once she came home, she would also listen to the Thijs Van Leer CD just like Emmie did. Sophia now listens to the Feng Shui CD because...... again....little did I know..... I would yet again be transferring this CD to another room of the house basically one year later! ;)
e1
While I waited for Daniel, I guess it was clear to me that he would also be listening to the same CD that his sister's did. And for two years now....he has been. It's funny to have him in the room that we built for Emmie fourteen years ago. It is now "All Boy"......I never dreamed I'd do a boy's room. I love this boy to pieces....I can now understand when people say that there is something special about Mommy's and their little boys. We do have a very deep love. I have so many hopes and dreams for him. He is Sophia's special gift sent just for her. Now as we wait.....and wait....and wait, I am again hoping and praying to pass on the CD that has meant so much to me. He will then listen to other classical music.
e3
And now, as I wait to bring another child home, I felt that she too, needed her own music, her own songs for me to tell her about someday, just as I will the others. I found this particular CD to be moving to me in a much different way than Sophia's CD did. Mind you, this is about my fourth CD purchase while waiting for Baby O. I have listened to several and just could really not make a connection. There are two songs on this CD. The first one is called "Pagoda In The Mist" which I found to be quite appropriate since I love pagodas. When this song came on I could envision her running around the orphanage or foster home. I can hear the pitter patter of her feet......I can see the curiosity in her eyes as she plays with the other children that she knows to be her family. I can see her bundled up in all of her crazy layers of clothing looking like a little Buddha. I can envision her black hair and her eyes.....there are days that I can just really feel her in my soul. I also hear the repetition of the days schedule.....feeding time, changing time, nap time and so on. And near the end.....I see her looking at the moon....waiting for me to come and bring her home. This song gives me hope. Then a few days later another particular song kept nagging at me. I couldn't figure out what it was at first and then I could feel it......not only feel it in regards to
Baby O, but to Sophia as well. The song is called "Lotus Moon". In this song I hear the joy of giving birth to a beautiful baby girl. The gazing into each to each others eyes, the joy a Mother feels as she holds her precious gift. The music is so serene.... and then it transitions into what I feel is the grieving that the Mother feels as she must make the decision and journey to a far off place to give up her child. To place her/him somewhere where they will be found quickly, to write a note or not, to light that fire cracker to let them know there is a baby at the gate and then actually walking away??????? Every time I hear this song it nearly take my breath away and I feel like I need to gasp for air. I see the entire abandonment process, the tears, the guilt, the fear, the agony of making this decision, the hope of forgiveness.... and yet not really understanding why.....other than for different rules of a country and things I will never know. It truly is a beautiful song and it moves me like no other. I listen to this CD everyday...many times.....it takes me to a whole different world.... I know that many of us have and do give thanks to our children's birth parents.....but have any of you ever really stopped and thought about the agony? When I hold Sophia at night or even when I just look at her, there are many times I must fight back the tears.....I just can't even imagine....... I would die for my children.....I will/would never leave them. Our children's journey to unite with our family's is so deep....I pray I have the words of comfort when the time comes. Please dear Lord, let me have the words.

36 comments:

Gwen Oatsvall said...

what a sweet story and legacy for your children ... i try my best to journal for each of my children ...

i do think of the agony the birth mother's must have face (very often especailly w/ Maggie) ... She will have so many questions I know, but I also know that God ordained them to be in our family and that God's love will heal their hearts ... I pray very often that God finds away to speak His love to the birth mother's ...

great post dear friend ... i am ready for my Steffie/Emmie/Sophia HUG!!!!

Gail said...

Beautiful post Steffie. You are so intuitive about your children as you wait for O and waited for the ones you have with you now. I think every single day about Grace's birthmother, the choice she made and the irony of how possibly the biggest tragedy or saddest event of her life (having to abandon Grace), has become my greatest joy... my daughter. EVERY night I look at the moon and thank this unknown person and God for my gift of our daughter Grace.

Rachael said...

Each of my children has a CD that I played over and over for them either during my pregnancy or wait and they fall asleep to it at night.

For the longest time, whenever we vacationed, we had to drag boom-boxes along so we could be sure they'd have their music at night! What a pain! :)

I get what you're saying in your post though. Music is a very powerful way to emotionally connect.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Steffie, this post is so touching to me. I do really think about my daughter's birthparents. I can't even imagine what they went through. With Emma's, she didn't give her up for adoption until Em was 19 months old. Her healthcare was too expensive and her birthmother was only 17 yrs. old. This breaks my heart and I think of this girl all the time.....maybe too much...I don't know. I send her letters and pics of Emma to the agency and pray she goes back to get them but I have no way of knowing. What a loss they must feel.

OH MY #6 said...

Oh my. No words.

Lea

Kim said...

Beautiful...
You have such a ways with words... it is amazing how I can feel everything you are saying..
Love it..
Have a Great Day...
HUGS..

day by day said...

Steffie...this is such a lovely post. Thank-you for sharing about the journey to each of your precious children!
I missed your Monday post. Congratulations on becoming an aunt!! Yay! And I am glad to hear Daniel's boo boo is healing!

OH MY #6 said...

Oh my gosh, no! This post was thought provoking for me! I haven't been through this process before and I want to read, listen to anything that will help me with this!

Lea
xo

Linette said...

So beautiful Steffie! I'm sitting here crying after reading your post. Like you...I pray God gives me the words when needed.

Lisa said...

I would like to hear the song "Lotus Moon". It is so sad to think about what our daughters birth mothers must have had to go through. The agony that they had to go through is just too sad. Like you said, I would die for my children too! We are so lucky to be American citizens and to be allowed to have as many children as we want and now so is Emmie! The gift you gave her is priceless!

PandaMom said...

LOVED this post!!! It gave so much more insight into YOU! ; )

Denise C said...

What a beautiful post Steffie...your heart is so beautiful and pure...and full of such love! I am so inspired by you and am blessed so deeply each time we "Chat" or I visit here....

I am looking forward to the day when we can meet face to face and I can tell YOU....that I think you are a fabulous person!!!!

Love and Hugs....and have a most wonderful trip to our neck of the woods, with sweet Gwen... .....Next time...(I hope )...we'll be joining the fun!!!:)
Love you girl!!!

LaLa said...

I love this post. Annslee listens to a CD each night (has since we were in China) and it is the Beijing Angelic Choir Chinese lullabies. I listen to it too through the monitor : )

redmaryjanes said...

Steffie, Tim and I love the Feng Shui CD that you gave to us and now that I know the story behind it, it means even more to me. Thank you my friend for sharing a part of your journey with me. The music comforts us too and we will play it for Sophia when she comes home.
Much Love!!!

Kim said...

Lovely post and lovely blog! I'm visiting from Pandapalooza.

Michelle said...

Growing up as an adopted child, I never really "got" the sacrifice my birth mother made when she gave us(my twin sister and I) up. Often I would feel anger towards her. Then I grew up and got married and tried to have children of my own. And tried. And tried. To no avail. It wasn't until I had that longing for a child of my own that I realized the sacrifice she made. Now I think about her all the time. I am thankful to her every single day for what had to be the hardest decision of her life. She loved us enough to know that she wanted us to have a better life than a teenage mother could provide. I thank God every day for that. And I wonder she is out there somewhere thinking of me......

~Amy~ said...

and...I'm crying.... What a beautiful story. I too have many connections to music and can totally understand you. I can not wait to see little Baby O...she will be beautiful....

Let's get together soooon! :)

Michelle said...

Hi Steffie!
Of course I'm not offended by your post! I hope my comment didn't give you that impression. I was trying to get across how wonderful I think it is that you feel such intense emotions and sadness for the pain that Sophia's mother went through to give you such a beautiful gift. Sometimes I think we gloss over that part because it is such a painful subject. I was just trying to give some insight to how an adopted child feels about her birth mother(although my situation is quite different-we were not abandoned). I too, hope that I will have the words to comfort my daughter when she questions her birth mother's decision to give her away. I only pray that the words will come when it is time. Take care.

Busy Mama said...

What a great post - this wait is amazing - and something to help us is SURELY needed!!!

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing women. I don't even know you and do not have any adoptive children but can only imagine the agoney the birth mothers must feel. Thank heaven for women like you that are willing to adopt these precious little angles. Kudoz to you!!!

mommy24treasures said...

a very beautiful post friend. It touched my heart to learn more about your thoughts and feelings.
I too, often think about my children's sweet birthfamilies. I pray they have peace...
Hope your week is going well.

Mom 2 six said...

I am the same way linking things with the birth and adoption of my kids ! Great post.

kerri said...

Wish I had thought of beautiful music while I waited, I chose food and shopping, LOL.
Beautiful post my friend. ;) xo

jennifer said...

What a great post. I've been looking for a special piece of jewelry to wear during this journey. I haven't found it yet.

Juliette said...

Thanks for sharing. You are indeed a deep thinker. And a lovely soul and heart.

Kim said...

Hi Steffie! How are you? Hope you have a wonderful weeekend!

Michelle said...

A beautiful tradition Steffie - you are an inspiration!

Yoli said...

There is not a day that I do not think about my children's parents. My son's birthday is coming up and I know that in China, these parents are hurting.

I am happy they are here with me, that I have my dream of motherhood but never in a million years do I forget that, that dream, came at the expense of a huge loss, to my children and to their parents.

I too have a song for each of my kids. When I gave up fertility treatments and decided to adopt, the song, "Beyond the Sea" came to my mind. That became Sally's song. For my son, the boy I had long dreamed of but never thought I would get, "At Last" by Etta James came immediately to mind. Later when I went to pick him up, on TV this group called F.I.R. played this beautiful chinese song. For some reason, they were on TV constantly so I went to a store in Beijing and bought their CD. So Cael will always have two songs.

This is a very beautiful post and you as always amazingly insightful.

t~ said...

Beautiful post, love the idea of connecting through music.

Debbie said...

What a beautiful thing to pass on to your children!!! What better to pass on than the love of God and music....

You are a special gal!
Debbie

Mommy Spice said...

I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing it. Beautiful!

Michelle R Photography said...

What a beautiful post. Written straight from the heart. Just lovely.

Livin' out loud said...

Just stopped by to catch up! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the header!!
Susan

Denise C said...

Just checking in to see if you have posted any pics from your weekend with Gwen!!!
I'll be praying for safe travels back to MI!
Love and Hugs!!!

Wendy said...

A very nice thing you have done for your children... You are a truly special person...

Wendy

Anonymous said...

This was a very, very beautiful post! I know what you mean about finding the words!