Wednesday, December 5, 2007

O Christmas Tree

About 5 years ago, I decided that I wanted a "pretty tree". It was going to match my living room. I got all new decorations. Purples, greens, bronze, browns......it looked gorgeous. I had a 4 foot tree that I put in the corner of my dining room that had all the kids ornaments on it from years past. This year something came over me. I decided to do that "Hallmark Tree" again. Perhaps it has a lot to do with the little ones, or the fact that I want it to be more of an Asian/American Tree. So, I got all new ornaments, put all the ones on it that Emmie had made through the years, the Asian ones that I already had for Sophia, bought more from China Sprout, found meaningful ones from the Hallmark store, added the two candy canes that Sophia made in preschool today and decided to start the tradition of a new ornament each year for the kids. I also have candy canes with our names on them....... Dad, Mom, David, Susan, James, Emily, Sophia and Daniel. ;) Whew....what a tribe! ;) There is one for Olivia as well, however it is way up at the top of the tree......that is all I can bare to do right now. That dream seems so far away and I have decided not to dwell on it. The candy canes that you see hanging in the front of the Christmas were the "props" for the kids picture......Sophia likes them on the tree and re-arranges them daily. Hence the "cluster". ;) The "Red Tree" might not look as good as the other, but when I look at it, I see love, family, children, memories, culture and a future. So here is the start of a new (and old) beginning.......

The Christmas Tree wording is......."Connected with a bond of belonging"......"Forever Family". Even though we became a Forever Family in 2005, this is the year I chose to do the tree different, so I find it very meaningful. Then I thought the pink Hair Dryer ornament for Emmie. Totally appropriate since the girl spends hours on her hair!!!!
I bought Bob the Builder for Daniel this year and Sophia got the Chinese Take Out. How cute is that? I also got a Mermaid one for her too! ;)
Then we have some of our Asian theme ornaments as well. Sophia's first Christmas , an Asian Tea Pot, a panda, the Pagoda and little Asian girl from Hallmark's Around the World and I have all the Zodiac Animals around the tree as well.
Sophia also thinks it is quite fun to add all her own little personal touches to the tree. Such as straws, cups, her purses, small books....anything she can put on it. I think it's cute. Doesn't bother me in the least. And then lastly......my all time favorite. Emmie's first ornament she made me when she was 3 years old. I love it. The start of a new tree........ I must be getting more sentimental in my old age! *wink*

38 comments:

OH MY #6 said...

Absolutely, beautiful!

Have you seen the little Asian set at Hallmark?

Have a good day Stef!

Lea

OH MY #6 said...

But, I have to know where did you get the Christmas tree ornament (forever family)?

Lea

Praise and Coffee said...

It looks beautiful Stef!
We did our picture last night, ugh! Out of about 100 shots, I found 2 that were do-able.
:)

Ahh...kids!

Adele said...

I am going to email you my address because I definitely want a pic of your family. I love that you did a tree with all of your special things. I can't wait to fill up my tree through the years with ornaments that Mallory and her future sister makes. It is just more meaningful to have those type of ornaments on the tree. Ever since we have had Mallory, we do an Asian/American tree. I will try to post a pic this week of my tree and some ornaments.

~Amy~ said...

It is absolutly amazing Stef! I love all the ornaments that have meaning behind them....that is really what Christmas is about after all! I hope you are doing well and I can't wait to see you!

I would love to be added to your christmas card list...I have already addressed our card to the Beckering tribe!;)

let me know if you need my addy again!

mommy24treasures said...

pretty tree! I will be sending you my address soon. I so remember Jacob and Chloe being young and having 2 2 yr olds that refused to cooperate.
Your tree is beautiful and I pray your Christmas is too!

sheryl said...

Your tree looks beautiful! I used to "think" that I wanted that designer tree that blended with my home and looked like something in a magazine. But with little ones, I eventually realized just how special our mismatched tree is. Each ornament holds special meaning and makes me smile, even a few ugly ones that make me laugh. I am going to try to do a post today about some of our more special ornaments.

And I would LOVE to have a Christmas card of your cuties! I will email my addy later.

Sheryl

Kim said...

It is very beautiful!...
The ornaments are all so neat.. I am going to have to get out to Hallmark and find some of these darling Asian ornaments...
But I would have to say that the cutest one is the STRAW... LOL...
I was laughing so hard... THAT is what makes these Holiday so special...
One day you will have your little Olivia... Time will fly.. and then you will look back and think.. WOW.. that wasn't as hard as I thought... You have made it 8 months ... HAPPY 8 MONTHS... she will be here soon..
HUGS to you my friend...
Kim

LaLa said...

Oh, I love your tree...I did the same thing, before Annslee my tree had a 'theme' and only certain ornaments allowed... Now it is a hodgepodge of things we love. Growing up, on Christmas Eve we always got to open two gifts, an ornament and new PJs so we do that with Annslee too (don't know what to do about the PJs since she sleeps without clothes..ha ha) I agree a tree with meaning is more beautiful than one that looks like it was professionally decorated : )

Love her 'rearranging' : )

Sophie's Mom said...

Beautiful tree. Sophia got the same take out ornament this year, and it is better looking in person than in the catalog! Love it!

Nikki said...

Hey Stef!
The tree looks beautiful...it is all about the kiddos, isn't it? The way it should be!
Can't wait to get my card!
Love you!

Sandra said...

LOVE it!!! I can really relate to this post. We have some of the same ornaments on our tree :-)

Mommy Spice said...

I saw the Forever Family ornament at Hallmark. I haven't gotten it yet, but I will. I got the Chinese house and girl though. Sooo cute!!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful and special tree!
I love all of the ornaments!!!
Lily just put a tea cup on our tree and told me I would never find it. What a stinker!
I would love a card!!!!!!!!!!!!

redmaryjanes said...

Love it~ Especially the hair dryer ornament. I don't know though...the chinese take-out is fabulous too.
I hope you all are just filled to the brim with Christmas spirit.
I bought some new JLo sunglasses so I can feel cool in my minivan.
Love Ya!

D & S said...

That is great tree with very creative ornaments. Beautiful.

Linette said...

Your tree is beautiful!! You have great ornaments. I just saw the Chinese take out ornament at Hallmark today- too cute! All the ornaments for the kids are the best. :)

Liz and Ava said...

The tree looks great! Love all the different ornaments!

~Amy~ said...

love the trees on the side bar...I said "ooooooo" when I saw them! ;)

Holly said...

Your tree looks gorgeous! And I love all the ornaments..especially that pink hair dryer...lol! And the Chinese takeout is too cute.

Beckyb said...

LOVE the tree - we also do yearly ornaments for our kids - they love to unwrap them and put them up each year - TOO FUN!!! And that's what I'm determined to find when we go back to China - MORE Asian ornaments!!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Your tree makes me want to cry, it's so beautiful. THAT is the best kind of tree, the memory ones......beautiful!

Elise said...

Stef, I totally get it. Every year I look at these gorgeous trees decorated and think maybe I should do that? But then as we are decorating our tree with all the ornaments we have collected or made over the years and I hear the kids so excited to see their favorite ornament released from a year in storage, I think naw.....this tree is the most beautiful tree we could ever have! One full of our memories!

I love that Sophia was putting her special decorating touches to it too! That is a girl after my own heart;)

jennifer said...

I love it! All of those homemade ornament might not be the prettiest, but they embody what Christmas is all about. I lost all of my ornaments in the fire a couple of years ago, and those "special" ones are truly missed. I love all of your little treasures.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

You tree is so beautiful!!! And so are your children.

kerri said...

The most beautiful tree is the family tree.
Yours is so beautiful, it bursts with love, memories and tradition.
Truly gorgeous.

Barbara said...

Just this week I picked out ornaments for each of my children to reflect something special they did this year - dolphin for one who loved watching the dolphins when we were at the beach, butterfly for one who "raised" a butterfly from caterpillar, a poodle for me because when the kids are deciding who is going to be who when they are playing house I always yell "I want to be the poodle!" and they laugh and say "NO, Mama, there's no poodle!"
Can't wait until our package comes and I give them out!
Barbara

dawn said...

I LOVE your ornaments and am headiang over to CHina sprout right now.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Yout tree is beautiful. I love to look at everyones trees and the different ornaments. I got your blog from Chloe Makes Six. Are you from Iowa, too?

Truly Blessed said...

What a great looking tree.

I have to say that the ones full of kid-created ornaments are my favorites!

Mr.Brian said...

I have to have a family christmas card too.You have the address.
Please email me yours.

3 Peanuts said...

Beautiful tree...beautiful family!


Kim

Dannye said...

please count us in for the christmas card...if you need my address, let me know...

I love your tree, and absolutely love the ornaments..

Deb said...

Your tree is adorable! I love your choice in ornaments.

Deb said...

Your tree is adorable! I love your choice in ornaments.

Shirley said...

I love the ornament of Emmie at age 3..Gotta love those pig tails. Tree looks awesome. I love hanging all the ones from Ally and now get to add some more with Olivia..
Thanks for sharing!!

Andie said...

Love your tree! Our tradition was supposed to be each of the kids painting an ornament each year, but after they all got broken the first year, it turned into each of the kids picking out an ornament each year. This year both of my girls picked out ballet ornaments (they both love their dance classes!) and Andrew picked out a kirate kid...but he doesn't do kirate! Crazy kid! But it brings back memories each year as we pull out all the ornaments. When I pack the ornaments away, I put each child's ornaments in their own shoe box, that way they get to put all their own ornaments on the tree each year.
I would love to see your Christmas card! (aprochnow@hotmail.com) You can see the results from my Christmas photo shoot with my kiddos on my blog...too funny! Why do they always save the goofiness for pictures?????
Christmas Blessings my friend-
Andie

Abby's Mom said...

I love it! That's the true spirit of Christmas :)